End of the Rope: My Flight to Hollywood

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
As mentioned in another thread before my trip, I flew over 1,000 miles to California just to see a movie. Someone mentioned an ongoing dossier about me, so I figured I’d mess that up a bit with some facts. Here’s the story of how and why I made the trip. It’s a long post. Long enough that the forum software forced me to shorten it. TL;DR: Airplane, weather, and terrain photos will follow in separate posts.

I fell in love with flying when my Dad got his PPL in 1989 and, two weeks after his check ride, took me and my sister for a local flight in a Piper Archer II that he bought into. I was 7 and immediately began pestering Dad to get me signed up with a CFI to start learning how to fly. He promised he would get me some flying lessons when I was old enough to solo. At some point he also taught me the importance of keeping promises, which he may have come to regret. His logbook shows that he also took Grandpa up a couple of times and Grandma up once. Incidentally, Grandma had skipped school at times to get some lessons in a J-3 Cub when she was young. Mom was brave enough to fly with Dad just once, so we never became the family that travels by GA.

We lost Grandpa to cancer in early 1995 and Dad got mysteriously sick shortly afterward. Years earlier, an AME had caught a clue about what was going on (enlarged spleen), but despite follow-ups the cause did not come to light until Dad was on death’s door. He ended up having a perfect storm of rare conditions that led to a 1:00 a.m. phone call saying that, based on an exploratory surgery they had just completed, he had between 2 hours and 2 months to live. It’s normally a 3-hour drive from our house where we took the call to the hospital that placed it, but our neighbor didn’t mind that he got a ticket while driving the rest of us there in closer to 2 hours that night. Dad eventually opted for a surgery that had a chance to give him some more time, even though when he asked the surgeons what the survival rate for the procedure was they nervously looked at each other before answering that he would be the first. We celebrated Dad’s 39th birthday in the ICU that spring. Every birthday after that one, he counted from that day as it was the beginning of his second lease on life.

And he got that second lease, obliterating even the most optimistic prognoses the doctors gave him for both life expectancy and quality of life. Dad never went back to an AME after he got sick and let his third-class medical expire. He sold his share of the plane. I frequently and quite unfairly mentioned his unfulfilled promise about flying lessons over the years. But we went boating, hunting, motorcycling, to concerts, trying various bourbons, learning how to make hard cider from his apple trees when Mom got tired of making apple pie and applesauce, and all sorts of other things over the years. Just not flying. We also ended up working together starting in 2011 when the economy in my hometown was going gangbusters and I was ready to move back from my erstwhile sojourn hither and yon.

Around 2014, Dad learned about the since-adopted Light Sport rules and bought a 1941 Piper J-3 Cub. While he worked on getting his tailwheel endorsement in the Cub, I took advantage of his having bought a plane and made a promise all those years ago. My first flight in the Cub was in late 2014 and then in the summer of 2015 I started flying regularly. I soloed in the Cub that fall, then started renting a Piper Cherokee to finish my PPL in early 2016. I added the instrument rating in 2017, started to build an RV-14 in January 2018, and got my CPL in 2020.

My sister and her family used to live “close” to us, just a 5-hour drive, but decided to move much farther away just before Covid hit the world. Dad and I decided that it would make sense to get a traveling airplane, something fast and big enough to keep the family close despite the distance and pandemic. In early 2021, we landed on a Cessna 310 and I got my AMEL rating in the plane.

I’ve taken the plane on a few big trips since then. A couple “worth it” examples come to mind. In April 2021, I flew from ND to MS with my dog (with a stop in IA to pick up a care package from my sister’s in-laws), picked up my sister’s entire family (sister, brother-in-law, nephew, and two nieces, ages at the time from 3 to 9 years), and flew to Arizona where Mom and Dad were evading winter. We celebrated Easter and Dad’s 65th (or 26th, by his count) birthday together, then I flew my sister’s family back to MS and finally flew home. It was about 4500 miles all together, although the longest I flew on any day was about 1200. This family gathering would not have been possible without the 310. Dad and I also flew down to visit my sister’s family for Labor Day weekend that fall, about 2200 miles round trip.

In between those two trips, Dad was pretty busy. As well as working more than full-time, he had a side project that came to fruition. Around 2004, he had written a booklet for the local museum, telling the history of our town’s claim to fame: the site of the last lynching in North Dakota, in which a farmhand murdered the entire family he worked for and the community formed a lynch mob to break him out of jail and give him a rope-arrested push off a bridge. (All parties were white, in case anyone wanted to read the wrong connotation of the word lynching into the story.) As Dad was working on an updated edition of the booklet with new information that had come to him after people read the first edition, he also connected with an independent filmmaker and they began to adapt the story for the silver screen. They filmed it in western ND during 2021 and wrapped up in the early fall.

Deer season in North Dakota is in November. On opening weekend 2021, I had a Pilots N Paws flight (the first one I did in the RV-14) and Dad had some things to take care of in the morning. We planned to either meet up at our hunting spot that evening or meet in town and drive down there together, after my flight. I texted that I was on the way home from the trip and asked him the plan. His response was that he was at the ER. That wasn’t an infrequent thing over the years, so when I got home I just did the usual: Brought a cell phone charger to the ER so he could stay in touch. But the nurses told me that this was more serious than usual. He got a King Air ride to a larger hospital’s ICU that night, November 6, 2021. He spent 20 days in the ICU, exhausting all options for a solution to the problem, which tied back to the 1995 illness. I was able to visit him on 8 of those days despite Covid restrictions, in large part by flying the RV-14 up instead of driving.

We lost Dad in the morning hours of Thanksgiving Day, November 25, 2021. While he was in the ICU that month, I had been fighting through a Catch-22 to get my fiancée into the USA so she could meet Dad. Unfortunately, that didn’t pan out and she arrived here in early 2022. I decided somewhere along the way that I would keep the 310 if my wife likes flying and sell it if not, since it is a family traveling machine and its mission depends on having a family that travels by GA. If they make a biopic about me, here’s your spoiler alert: I kept the 310 and even put in a new autopilot. (I should point out here that I am only half-joking all the times I post “My wife hated my airplane, so I had to get a new one.”)

Through 2022, Dad’s movie went through editing and other post-production. I had avoided involvement, even as an extra or reading the script, other than quick visits to see the sound stage sets and the outdoor set when filming was not going on. So, when I saw it for the first time, I got to be completely surprised by the entire thing. And I was blown away. The production values were second-to-none and it really lived up both to the true story and to Dad’s penchant for storytelling. Nothing in the 140-minute movie broke my suspension of disbelief. I saw it first with the state legislature in January 2023 when a legislator invited me to be a plus-one for the early screening they got as a thank-you for a tourism grant that supported the film. I was there at the actual premiere here in my home town. And I was able to see it once more at a special screening for a professional organization that had awarded Dad a form of lifetime achievement award a few years ago.

The movie has since been invited to some film festivals, including Dances With Films this month. DWF is exclusive to truly independent movies, so you cannot have Spielberg direct or Deniro produce your “independent” film and enter it into competition there. The festival is at the TCL Chinese Theater in Hollywood, which is a big enough deal that it was also the premiere location for the last movie Dad and I went to see in a theater together, among many others. If Dad had been at his desk when he heard that the film was invited to screen at the Chinese Theater, it would be less than 30 seconds before he walked into my office to ask, “Can we fly the 310 to LA to see the movie?” So, in honor of Dad’s spirit of adventure, but against his spirit of working more than full time every day from your first steps to the day you die, I blocked 3 days out on my work calendar and flew with my wife to California in the 310 just to watch a movie.

Last edited:
And that’s the story of why I flew over 1,000 miles to watch a movie that I had already seen three times. If you want to learn about the movie End of the Rope, it has a website with a trailer: https://www.endoftheropefilm.com/ I can’t get you a DVD copy until it comes out later on. They are hoping to get a streaming deal later this year and I’ll certainly brag about that when it happens. Meanwhile, if you know any movie theater operators who are interested in showing the film, please let me know and I’ll get them in touch with the right people. Theaters that have shown the film in places without any connection to the history or people involved in the movie have had great results, with many people coming back to see it again. I don’t grade on a curve just because it’s an independent movie or one that I have family pride wrapped up in, and I consider it to be a very good movie.

So, without further ado, some words about the actual trip…

We got a late start on Friday. We went IFR with a stop in the Salt Lake City area, at South Valley (U42). There was no crew car, but the gas price was low and an Uber quick to bring us to the other side of the airport where there is a commercial district with various food options. After ramen and sushi, and letting the plane cool down enough to start (hot starts at high elevation are simply not fun), we flew across turbulent Utah, then between Las Vegas and the Hoover Dam, with an arrival to Santa Monica (KSMO) right over the top of the Hollywood sign. The tie downs seemed a bit sketchy but worked out okay. There were chains but they had giant hooks that didn’t fit through my rings, so I ended up using my ratchet straps instead. And my tail felt dangerously close to the driving lane between the building and the tie down so I was afraid that I’d come back to a bent airplane, courtesy of a fuel truck or other vehicle going a few inches wide on the curve at night. I note that we had to register our plane on arrival through a QR code/website in order to get the gate code to get back on the ramp later, so most likely we will receive and dutifully pay an invoice for tie-down fees or the like.

We stayed in Hollywood at “Dream,” which was a nice hotel and relatively quiet, despite having a nightclub that was very busy Friday and Saturday. We had breakfast on the hotel rooftop the first and last mornings (I got their pretty-good huevos rancheros, Dad’s favorite breakfast dish), but in between we found “Breakfast Club” a couple blocks away and preferred that. Hollywood is still Hollyweird. Focusing on the positive, I can say that I was never worried about finding a public bathroom since Hollywood Boulevard seems to serve as one, and I was somewhat happy about having had Covid 2-1/2 years ago and still struggling with my sense of smell. We visited the Santa Monica Pier and beach, Golden Triangle/Rodeo Drive, Warner Brothers for a studio tour (I recommend doing this if you’re anywhere close), Griffith Observatory at sunset including looking through the big telescope (same), Madame Tussaud’s museum, and of course the Walk of Fame and Chinese Theater to find a few of our favorite stars’ stars and handprints.

Going to the End of the Rope screening at Dances With Films was awesome. I got to meet and thank a couple of the cast members for coming to North Dakota to make Dad’s movie and doing a great job of it, and caught up with the director (whom I had inadvertently sat next to during the first public showing of the movie back in January). We had our pictures taken on the carpet. And I got to see Dad on-screen again.

Coming home on Tuesday, we got off to a rocky start thanks to a little bit of what I’ll call altrualarmism. After run up, we taxied to the runway and called for takeoff clearance. Tower informed us that it appeared something had fallen off of our plane, then clarified that something was maybe dragging behind our plane. In my mind, we were dragging an elevator that someone had knocked loose while we were in that tie-down for four nights. So we taxied back to the tie downs, shut down both engines, got out to look for missing airplane parts or suitcases, and had a policeman approach us about the situation. Evidently neither he nor the person occupying the vicinity of another plane on the ramp (who may or may not have been a pilot) had ever seen a retractable boarding step before. So we fired the engines back up (remember how much I love hot starts, but at least this was at lower elevation) and got our takeoff clearance. We went VFR over Griffith Observatory and Rose Bowl at about 2800 MSL, then pointed east along the 210 and climbed until the mountains looked inviting enough to turn left at 7500 MSL and head up to Apple Valley (KAPV) for fuel. One of my first memories of Los Angeles was arriving at LAX at night on a trip with Dad to tour some campuses before I found out I didn’t get into any of them, and just the endless sea of city lights from horizon to horizon. The sprawl blows me away every time, including flying over it during the daytime.

My wife didn’t want to go back to Salt Lake City, so we headed from Apple Valley to Grand Junction (KGJT), a place we have stopped before. She likes the automatic cappuccino maker they have. We took a courtesy car across town to have supper at Olive Garden, I killed time but not my wallet in Guitar Center while she shopped a little bit, and then we took off for home. We had to dodge numerous storms between Grand Junction and home here in western North Dakota, but landed with almost calm winds around 11:30 p.m.

We got 26-1/2 years out of Dad’s maximum-of-two-months prognosis back in 1995. As one of my favorite songs opines, “we all die young,” but I learned from Dad’s second lease on life to count the blessing of each day you have and live while you’re alive. Maybe you’ll live 159 times as long as the doctors say or maybe your heart will suddenly stop in the middle of your morning run one day. Either way, you’re not owed a single day here but you can choose what to do with the days you get. In Dad’s unearned bonus time, on top of all he had already accomplished, he got to see both his children grow into adults, spend time with three grandchildren, continue growing the small business he started after being the first in his family to go to college, and travel many places including Alaska north of the Arctic Circle and the part of Norway some of our ancestors came from and some of our cousins still inhabit. He participated in the picture of Grandma (who never lets you take her picture), himself, and me as three generations of Cub pilots. He didn’t get to celebrate his son’s 40th birthday, although he came closer to it than his own dad had. He didn’t get to watch his finished movie, which really does justice as a tribute to his storytelling. And he’ll probably never tell me what he did with the engine for the old Spiegel motorcycle that he had just got back after my uncle took over 25 years to rebuild it, so I’m not sure I’ll ever get that project done for him. But he lived a full life, left a mark on the world, and finally kept his promise that he’d help me get my pilot license.

I logged 15.2 hours on this trip to support Dad’s movie at Dances With Films. We covered 2200 miles not counting IFR routes through the mountains, weather diversions, and the like. We took thousands of pictures, mostly around town, spread out across a full-frame Sony, GoPro, and two iPhones. I’ll try to post some pictures here as I go through them.

Last edited:
The tie downs seemed a bit sketchy but worked out okay. There were chains but they had giant hooks that didn’t fit through my rings, so I ended up using my ratchet straps instead.

I have these same chains at my tie down. Basically you pull the chain up to your tie down loop. The link in the middle of the chain that aligns with your tie down loop gets pulled half way through your tie down and then repeat the process and the big hook attaches to that link. Sounds harder than it is. Or you just use your own ratchet straps, but here in the desert it would deteriorate in the sun.

I have these same chains at my tie down. Basically you pull the chain up to your tie down loop. The link in the middle of the chain that aligns with your tie down loop gets pulled half way through your tie down and then the big hook attaches to that link. Sounds harder than it is. Or you just use your own ratchet straps, but here in the desert it would deteriorate in the sun.
I considered doing it that way but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the tip. The way I have done it with chains in the past is to pull the chain through the ring, then pass a link on the loose end through a link on the working end, and then put the hook through that link to secure it. I'm sure that my way isn't the optimal way but it works, at least for those chains with a hook that fits through the tie-down ring. Happy to learn a little more today!

Great story and write-up! I admit, when I read “flying 1000+ miles to see a movie” over in the other thread, I was scratching my head. Now I know I would have absolutely done the same thing!

- Martin

Great story and write-up! I admit, when I read “flying 1000+ miles to see a movie” over in the other thread, I was scratching my head. Now I know I would have absolutely done the same thing!

- Martin
I suspect you would have produced a movie about it along the way. I'm lucky if I remember to take a picture. :)

I note that we had to register our plane on arrival through a QR code/website in order to get the gate code to get back on the ramp later, so most likely we will receive and dutifully pay an invoice for tie-down fees or the like.
I wonder how often they change the gate code. :devil:

I wonder how often they change the gate code. :devil:
Next person there can ask me to try the one I got. Just be warned that, if it's tied to tail numbers, you may have already demonstrated the Brick Tamland noise abatement procedure out of spite about the airport closing.

Okay, time for some of the pictures. These aren't in any particular order.

Here is some of the weather we dodged on the way to California. I always enjoy watching storms build, as long as I get to watch over the wing and not over the nose.
IMG_6394.jpeg

Some of the cast and crew got up to answer questions about the film at the end of the screening. The guy with the microphone directed the movie, the guy on the far left wrote the score, and the rest of these fine folks appeared on screen and brought their characters to life.
IMG_6475.jpeg

This is Mount Ellen, one of the many sights to go around on the way home. We flew home mostly at 11500, which left just a few peaks above us.
IMG_6494.jpeg

This is part of the Colorado Plateau as I understand it, proof that the Grand Canyon and Sedona aren't the only interesting parts of it.
IMG_6497.jpeg

This is a Wyoming sunset on the way home, with still more weather to dodge.
IMG_6501.jpeg

Here is Utah Lake as we left Salt Lake City, our fuel stop between ND and CA.
AEJ00238.JPG

We flew between Las Vegas and the Hoover Dam. The dam made a more interesting photo, even though it's mostly hidden here.
AEJ00272.JPG

I call this "Welcome to California, now you're blind."
AEJ00294.JPG

Our first view of the Hollywood sign as we approached Santa Monica. It was also visible from our hotel's restaurant, Griffith Park, and numerous other places we went over the weekend.
AEJ00338.JPG

Landing runway 21 at KSMO right at sunset.
AEJ00357.JPG

The entrance to the iconic TCL Chinese Theater.
AEJ01169.JPG

Our last view of the Hollywood sign as we headed back to the east.
AEJ01543.JPG

No pictures of the copper mine when you went through SLC? That's pretty fun to fly over. Since you stopped at U42 maybe you were too low. I was landing at PVU at the time and they basically ran me right over the mine before allowing me to descend over Utah Lake.

I've been to 47 states out of 50. Alaska and Hawai'i have eluded me....and then there's North Dakota. Maybe I need to fly up and have lunch and hang out with one of the few on here my age.

No pictures of the copper mine when you went through SLC? That's pretty fun to fly over. Since you stopped at U42 maybe you were too low. I was landing at PVU at the time and they basically ran me right over the mine before allowing me to descend over Utah Lake.

I've been to 47 states out of 50. Alaska and Hawai'i have eluded me....and then there's North Dakota. Maybe I need to fly up and have lunch and hang out with one of the few on here my age.
Best do that before I get any older. o_O

I didn't know about the copper mine near SLC. We came in IFR from almost due east and canceled as we turned south to fly between the Bravo and the mountains. Departing, we went straight out to the south. I felt like Salt Lake Approach was pretending to be busy juggling just a few airplanes. Center and Approach were both reluctant to let me actually come into the area or depart IFR, hinting at long holds and release times if I didn't cancel so I could arrive VFR and then depart VFR to pick my clearance up after leaving the area.

Best do that before I get any older. o_O

I didn't know about the copper mine near SLC. We came in IFR from almost due east and canceled as we turned south to fly between the Bravo and the mountains. Departing, we went straight out to the south. I felt like Salt Lake Approach was pretending to be busy juggling just a few airplanes. Center and Approach were both reluctant to let me actually come into the area or depart IFR, hinting at long holds and release times if I didn't cancel so I could arrive VFR and then depart VFR to pick my clearance up after leaving the area.
Yeah, they're a little ridiculous. Here was my track going north to south. I think it ended up with 13 different vectors. Copper mine is circled in red.

upload_2023-6-29_9-27-23.png

Reading the title of the post had me waiting for a different outcome. I am glad it was a great trip. And to honor your dad, makes it even better. You seem to have inherited your dad's storytelling skills. Love this thread!

thank you again for sharing the trip and the film recommendation.

Reading the title of the post had me waiting for a different outcome. I am glad it was a great trip. And to honor your dad, makes it even better. You seem to have inherited your dad's storytelling skills. Love this thread!

thank you again for sharing the trip and the film recommendation.
Thanks. When I got the early chance to see the film, I texted my family about it being 2 hours and 20 minutes long and how I was glad it turned out good, since I had been worried that it would be so embarrassingly short of material that it would barely qualify as a feature film. My sister's response: "Dad was telling a story, and you were worried it would be too short?" I came by that honestly, too.

Damn. I didn't know you actually had a personal connection to it when you told me to go see it.

Damn. I didn't know you actually had a personal connection to it when you told me to go see it.
You should go to the outdoor showing at Burnt Creek Farm on July 22. They filmed some scenes there. I can't get out of town that day, unfortunately.

You should go to the outdoor showing at Burnt Creek Farm on July 22. They filmed some scenes there. I can't get out of town that day, unfortunately.
Yeah that's the one I'm looking at convincing the wife to go to

Yeah that's the one I'm looking at convincing the wife to go to
Did she like Longmire? It's kind of Longmirey. Also kind of Lion Kingy. What I think makes it most effective as a work of art is that it shines a light on your character and makes you question what you would have done in each character's shoes.

It seems like you're a pretty good storyteller yourself. Thanks for sharing, and painting the picture of the circumstances. It warms my heart to see airplanes out doing airplane adventures... bonus points for tip tanks in every photo.

Sa-LUTE!

Thanks for the story. It tells well.

Update on the movie: It should be available for streaming mid-next month (and, given it's not an avionics project, I actually trust that date!) Here's the latest trailer:

Concerning your picture of the smog. I was supposed to solo on my 16th birthday. I was flying out of Grand Central Air Terminal in Glendale.
My birthday came up in April 1954 and the field was IFR due to the smog. I missed my birthday by 4 days waiting for the smog to clear.

I can remember my eyes tearing and burning on visits in later years.

I learned to fly at Fullerton in the mid 1960s. -X2-1/2HK was routine. Occasionally FUL tower would call three-mile visibility, but maybe it was a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" kind of thing because they wanted some action too. In the hazy afternoons, back before the localizer, the final approach to 24 toward the sun was a matter of faith and local knowledge.

Oh, and don't forget about the 800-foot-high KFI radio tower two miles northwest of the airport, right where your overloaded, clapped-out C-150 might (or might not) be reaching pattern altitude.

- Martin

Or a good padlock to help prevent the blow away.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It was a great story and a wondeful tribute to your father!

Abram Finkelstein
N685AS

Back