End of an Era

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
After 17+ years of flying the Boeing 777, I flew my last trip on it the first week of December. At least for awhile. I thought I would be a bit melancholy about it, but as it turns out, not so much. It was time to make a change, and I was looking forward to that change. I love the 777 and all, but life was getting too boring.

So what, you may ask, am I doing now? I upgraded to Captain on the 737. Training started the 16th of December and I finished IOE (initial operating experience) this morning. I have been turned loose on the world.

I am not one to go into all the details of the training experience. Lets just say it had its ups and downs.

As far as the flying goes, I will definitely be working more days than I was flying the 777. And it will be basically domestic. A little of Central America thrown in.

So, a new era has begun and I am definitely looking forward to it.

Well cool, enjoy, and congrats on the upgrade. Let us know what routes you get.

Look at it this way, now you get to make snippy little comments about Southwest pilots while you hang out in the lounge.

Congrats Captain Greg!!

I got a call over the weekend from a friend who I've known for about 12 years...he just recently moved up from being a 17 year FO in the MD80 and is now Captain flying Airbus A319 and A321. While his flying was always domestic, he was really looking forward to the move to the left seat...and the new title! :yes:

Enjoy the extra stripe!!

Congrats, Greg....

Sounds like more shorter trips, but a chance to move back up to the bigger iron soon enough.

Congrats Captain!

Congrats Captain!

My Dad flew the South American Routes for Braniff and loved it.

Can we put in orders with you for the unadulterated and awesome coffee?

Geez....

I always thought you were a 777 captain.....

Congrats on the move up sir....

Ps.. Do NOT change your screen name to Captain now..:no::redface:......:D

Have you gotten used to seeing so much land?

When last we talked, you weren't looking forward to the period of training, but we are happy you got it done.

Attaboy, :) enjoy!

When last we talked, you weren't looking forward to the period of training, but we are happy you got it done.

Attaboy, :) enjoy!

Maybe I will get a chance to fly the 170 soon. I haven't seen it since I got it home.

I'm sure you'll do fine!

Attachments

• catch-me1.jpg
    catch-me1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 43
It's good to hear they're finally pushing some of you Unitenental guys up the chain there. My cousin just got left seat on the 37's as well.

Enjoy those weekend hours again. :) But at least you'll get to point your finger more and slap the FO's hand away. :)

It's good to hear they're finally pushing some of you Unitenental guys up the chain there. My cousin just got left seat on the 37's as well.

Enjoy those weekend hours again. :) But at least you'll get to point your finger more and slap the FO's hand away. :)

I suspect he could have went up the chain whenever he wanted for a long time now.

I suspect he could have went up the chain whenever he wanted for a long time now.

At my company, a lot of guys held off bidding the left seat until they could hold a line. It's all about the QOL!

there's a reason the junior seats are EWR 757/767 , I'll take narrow body domestic any day, congrats on the guppy

Last edited:
Cool, Greg, sounds like life's next great adventure/challenge.
:thumbsup:

Congrats Greg. Enjoy it!

Good news. Who knows, I may wind up as self loading cargo on one of your flights.

Greg, a big congrats! You sure you don't want to fly that 37 to Asia:wink2: Flying the Guppy. Let me know if you bump in to Ted Ano another contiunited 37 Capt. who traded in a 47 on an Asia route and is very happy with it.

Maybe I will get a chance to fly the 170 soon. I haven't seen it since I got it home.

Well it is accustom to setting in a lonely old hangar for long periods.

remember it does have steel cylinders.

Back