Employer-provided sick time

I worked for a company that had it figured out, at the end of the year you pay for an extra day for each day remaining and if you made a perfect year you got an extra $1500 bonus.

I worked for a company that had it figured out, at the end of the year you pay for an extra day for each day remaining and if you made a perfect year you got an extra $1500 bonus.

That system is the only way my farmer buddy in WI can keep a full crew. Basically his workers make an extra buck an hour each month they don't call in sick.

I'm 54 years old, and have been working since I was 13. In those 41 years, I have never called in sick.

Just lucky, I guess.

That system is the only way my farmer buddy in WI can keep a full crew. Basically his workers make an extra buck an hour each month they don't call in sick.

I'm 54 years old, and have been working since I was 13. In those 41 years, I have never called in sick.

Just lucky, I guess.

Yeah, some of us aren't that lucky.

Just lucky, I guess.

Normally for me calling in sick isn't an option. You get the flu in the middle of a hitch, you're gonna be at sea with the flu.

The company I work for gives 11 holidays per year, 9 observed and 2 personal which can be taken anytime. 2 weeks vacation during first full year, prorated during hiring year. Vacation increases in 1 week increments at specific time in service dates, with maximum of 5 weeks/year after about 25 years. This will increase to 6 weeks after 32 years due to a merger in the past year. Employees can also purchase up to 40 hours of Choice Time which is used as vacation but paid for by payroll deductions. Choice Time can only be used after all vacation time is used and cannot be carried over. Up to 80 hours of vacation can be carried over to the next year.
Employees are allocated 80 hours of Sick time yearly, which does not accumulate. Sick time may also be used for scheduled medical appointments, and management has the discretion to approve sick time in excess of 80 hours, or require available vacation be used.

Having spent my entire professional life in hospitals, I wonder if this phenomenon is as common in other industries? While I'm sure there are always a few people who will abuse benefits, I'll venture to say that 75% or more of the under-40 nurses at my hospital do this blatantly and repeatedly. Is this a nurse thing? A young person trait? Or, as I suspect, just another sign of the entitlement society so prevalent in the U.S.?

I worked 12 years as a government employee (civil Service) and that got so bad the rules were changed to add a required DR's visit to return to work.

If you really were sick no problems proving it to the DR and getting a letter to return to work.

If you couldn't prove it, you got dock'ed the amount of time you took off.

That sure ended my 3 day weekends.

I worked 12 years as a government employee (civil Service) and that got so bad the rules were changed to add a required DR's visit to return to work.

If you really were sick no problems proving it to the DR and getting a letter to return to work.

If you couldn't prove it, you got dock'ed the amount of time you took off.

That sure ended my 3 day weekends.

You can only get away with that is in Government. You'll never find a private sector doctor to cooperate and go against a patient he did not examine during the time in question, it would leave them open to being sued. You can't prove that someone wasn't incapacitated with an undeterminable illness 12-18 hours prior, the best that can be done is substantiate the claim.

Where I work, your vacation days and sick days are the same thing so there isn't any moral issue to be had. A day is a day, doesn't matter why. Downside is they're very stingy with those days- new employees only get 40 hours and you don't get more until about 5 years in. I'm now at 80.

Here's the thing, I don't mind not being paid for days I take off. That seems fair but I need time off. I end up spending most of my days off working on stuff that needs done at home or family matters. Stress levels are often running high and when I'm stressed, my productivity at work goes down. Letting me get away more often would be better for me and the company. Some companies get that, some don't unfortunately.

Businesses need to realize the quality of their product is dependent on their employees. And the quality of their employees is proportional to how they treat them as far as pay, vacation, sick time, health care, etc. You get out what you put in.

At my workplace they give us the bare minimum to keep us from quitting. In return, most of the workers there put in the bare minimum to keep from getting fired. It ends up being a pretty depressing environment :(

That's why as fickle as my industry can be, it's got a good bit of time off in large blocks.

My company does not have "sick time". You accrue vacation hours each month or Paid Time Off based on your years with the company. If you are sick, take a vacation day, if you have a Dr. Appointment, take vacation hours, yes we can burn vacation time by the hour. You can carry over accrued vacation hours up to 3 times your annual accrual. Then it becomes use or lose.

I am also considered "salaried", but I have to account for my hours. If I work more than 40 hrs in the week for customer contract support, I can accrue "comp time" hours, I'm only getting paid my salaried 40 hrs. If I need time off for personal appointments or just want/need to take a few hours off, I can "burn" the accrued comp time to fill in my 40 hrs for the week.

Comp time gets zeroed out once a year, no carry forward. If a special project causes large amounts of comp time accrual, I can ask for a check for those hours. Comp time accrual in this case must be approved in advance for the project.

My company does not have "sick time". You accrue vacation hours each month or Paid Time Off based on your years with the company. If you are sick, take a vacation day, if you have a Dr. Appointment, take vacation hours, yes we can burn vacation time by the hour. You can carry over accrued vacation hours up to 3 times your annual accrual. Then it becomes use or lose.

I am also considered "salaried", but I have to account for my hours. If I work more than 40 hrs in the week for customer contract support, I can accrue "comp time" hours, I'm only getting paid my salaried 40 hrs. If I need time off for personal appointments or just want/need to take a few hours off, I can "burn" the accrued comp time to fill in my 40 hrs for the week.

Comp time gets zeroed out once a year, no carry forward. If a special project causes large amounts of comp time accrual, I can ask for a check for those hours. Comp time accrual in this case must be approved in advance for the project.

I'd be interested in seeing your state's compensation/wages laws. Comp time isn't something I could ever give here, or in about 15 other states we operate in. State's are pretty clear about 40+ unless you are full salary (earn nothing after 40hrs with no time tracking). Sounds like you're a fixed pay/non-fixed hours employee, which some HR's call a partial salaried employee.

Not necessarily condoning this (it's a quick way to get on the short list) but I would bet you could look into that; I would expect you should get your 1.5 OT in $$ compensation not expiring 1.0 comp time...

Colorado went after my former employer for not having been clear in official job descriptions for tech support staff that on-call and after-hours work was required in "full salary" positions, and made them switch even Tier 3 and 4 staff to hourly pay, many many years ago.

How it came up was an employee was laid off and had kept meticulous time records personally for years. When he showed those to the arbitration folks they worked a deal with the State that basically said they wouldn't fine the hell out of the company and do a full investigation, if the company stipulated that technical support staff would all be hourly from then on.

Can't say I didn't enjoy the effect on my paycheck immensely, when I had to sit on 6 hour emergency system repair conference calls on weekends. Today if I have to do that, the paycheck doesn't change.

A side-benefit that relates this all back to the discussion. PTO was based on hours worked. If you did an evil overtime year, you also found yourself with a number of extra days of PTO waiting in the bank. It tied a balance sheet expense (and a big one) right to staffing levels and was a great check and balance against managers who liked to run too lean.

I'd be interested in seeing your state's compensation/wages laws. Comp time isn't something I could ever give here, or in about 15 other states we operate in. State's are pretty clear about 40+ unless you are full salary (earn nothing after 40hrs with no time tracking). Sounds like you're a fixed pay/non-fixed hours employee, which some HR's call a partial salaried employee.

Not necessarily condoning this (it's a quick way to get on the short list) but I would bet you could look into that; I would expect you should get your 1.5 OT in $$ compensation not expiring 1.0 comp time...

I've been with the company 10 yrs and in the 6 figure range on salary. I like the freedom the comp time gives me and I'm not concerned about the extra 0.5 OT for the appx 40 hrs a year that I burn.

Team player, do what it takes to support the govt contract, some times the 40 hrs are done in 4 days and take the 5th off to keep from going over. Contract is cost plus, so hours need to be tracked even for salaried. And those times I need a half day for a personal appt, I can do it without burning vacation time.

I've been with the company 10 yrs and in the 6 figure range on salary. I like the freedom the comp time gives me and I'm not concerned about the extra 0.5 OT for the appx 40 hrs a year that I burn.

Team player, do what it takes to support the govt contract, some times the 40 hrs are done in 4 days and take the 5th off to keep from going over. Contract is cost plus, so hours need to be tracked even for salaried. And those times I need a half day for a personal appt, I can do it without burning vacation time.

Sounds like youre tracking more "project time" than "work time" for bill back. Although the comp time they give you is odd. I assume you're not 1099 if you're getting time at all? Is your company aware your management is giving the comp time away? I wonder if it's more of a management gift and not tracked vs. an official policy. I would certainly do off the books stuff like that with my crew but if anyone in HR found out I'd get a good ass chewing, then resume shortly after...:D. Most everyone knew that it was a gift, not a policy and wouldn't bite the hand that fed them so to speak.

Most everyone knew that it was a gift, not a policy and wouldn't bite the hand that fed them so to speak.

That is probably what almost everyone that has ever been sued by a disgruntled ex-employee thought.

Back