Emirates vacancies

LDC134

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LDC134
Would you be interested in working for one of the fastest growing and most profitable airlines in the world? Emirates are looking to recruit 1000 talented pilots across the next 20 months due to their unrivalled growth. They have 270 aircraft on order to run alongside their existing 230 fleet and can provide fantastic job security and an exciting and rewarding career.

Working for Emirates you can expect:
· A supportive employer with a holistic benefits package focusing on the aspects that are most important to you
· To be part of a global network
· Security and attractive career progression
· To fly a young technically advanced fleet which is entirely wide-bodied
· A quality lifestyle in Dubai with access to high standards of education, leisure and sports - ideal for both families and singles

If you're interested in finding out more visit emirates.com/pilots.

Emirates is a great airline to fly on, but I heard it sucks to work for them. Can't remember any details, but from what I understand they work you to the bone.

We're pilots. We need bars. How are the bars in Dubai? Strip clubs?

You'll fly...A LOT...been there before...don't plan on packing a wind breaker

You'll fly...A LOT...been there before...don't plan on packing a wind breaker

So it would be a good place for a young pilot, trying to build hours, and move up later, to jump start, yes?

Dubai is the biggest market for Russian prostitutes outside Russia.

An answer to a question not asked.

What fixed gear 2 place plane should I get?
A Bonanza!

We're pilots. We need bars. How are the bars in Dubai? Strip clubs?

I lived there for 3 years or so.

The bars & clubs in Dubai are actually awesome. Much better than you'll see in most cities in the U.S. Live music, flair bartenders, the works. Legal limit for driving is a strict 0%, but you can take taxis everywhere - they're very cheap and abundant.

There are a few things to worry about in Dubai, but alcohol isn't one of them. You need a license to buy alcohol from stores for home consumption - but it's fairly easy to get. Don't need the license for bars/clubs/restaurants.

Strip clubs... not so much. Then again, not so great here either. Real thing on the other hand... well, I have no experience, but from what I gathered it's fairly open if you don't mind a Russian accent.

Just be careful - Dubai has 2 classes of migrant workers - white collared, and you can come and go as you please. Blue collared, and while on contract, you need your employer's permission to even leave the country. You also can't quit your job and work for someone else - your employer has to release you for that - which they generally won't, and since you can't leave the country during your contract, you can get seriously stuck in a job that you hate.

I wasn't bound by that, but my girlfriend was. If you at all consider a job at Emirates - make sure under which class you will fall. At least I knew 1 person who worked at Emirates (although in IT), and she wasn't bound by that.

So as long if you can look the other way with their labor policies (or at least make sure they don't apply to you), the place is actually a blast to live in.

I also lived in Hawaii (Waikiki) for a while, and I think Dubai was actually more of a party town. The place that I can think of that comes closest to that is Cancun.

If Emirates works like Etihad and Qatar (UAE and Qatar, both share similar system for expat workers), pilots are "white collar workers" but cabin crew is "blue collar".

Agree on the bars/clubs in Dubai - it's a party town. Just over there the general "Don't be a dick"-concept applies more than elsewhere. You screw up and are smashed - you're in trouble.

I lived there for 3 years or so.

The bars & clubs in Dubai are actually awesome. Much better than you'll see in most cities in the U.S. Live music, flair bartenders, the works. Legal limit for driving is a strict 0%, but you can take taxis everywhere - they're very cheap and abundant.

I don't qualify:

Emirates is looking for the best pilots in the world!
We are hiring motivated, technically proficient and experienced pilots who aspire to excellence.
If this describes you, and you have an ICAO ATPL along with excellent English language fluency (to ICAO English level 4 or above) we would like to hear from you.

Are non-Arab pilots treated badly by the locals?

I've heard so many stories of foreign laborers, engineers, and so forth who are treated badly in the Arabian peninsula.

I don't qualify:

So, what are the requirements for an ICAO ATPL?

Can a US ATP be converted into an ICAO ATPL?

If I don't have 1500 hours, is it even possible to qualify for at ICAO ATPL?

Are non-Arab pilots treated badly by the locals?

I've heard so many stories of foreign laborers, engineers, and so forth who are treated badly in the Arabian peninsula.

I'll be completely non-PC here, because the UAE is a very non-PC country. (Better than Saudi though).

Are you white? If so, you'll be ok...

I'm not sure if this extends to the pilot workforce, but in my job (Engineer) I don't remember a single instance of meeting an Emirati in a similar position - in any company.

Emirati's generally just own stuff - they don't often do actual work. It's kind-of by law thing as well - to open a branch of a multi-national in Dubai, you have to have a local Emirati partner. So you find some silent local partner and just pay him to sign contracts.

They of course have Arab migrant workers as well - often from Palestine and Egypt, but in my experience, us whities got treated much better than those guys.

When you start writing million dollar checks for a living, I'm sure you'll bump up against the Emirati's and then you may face discrimination. But in the general workforce, the foodchain goes: White, Arab Expat, Black, Yellow, Brown.

Oh, and don't be Jewish of course...

I just got back last month. I had a great time over there, and just before I left, I applied at Emirates. If they call, I'm gone.

I did convert my PP to a LS while I was there. :)

So, what are the requirements for an ICAO ATPL?

Can a US ATP be converted into an ICAO ATPL?

If I don't have 1500 hours, is it even possible to qualify for at ICAO ATPL?

Yes, you can do a conversion but it's based on each member states (country) rules. Most countries will have you take an "air law exam" and then take a ATP check ride (to their standards) to gain a ATPL in their country.

If you don't have a U.S. ATP, then you are subject to their requirements, which, depending upon which country, makes the U.S. ATP seem like child's play.

Ok, so then, if I had a U.S. ATP, I could apply for this job, or would I have to go though a license conversion process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so then, if I had a U.S. ATP, I could apply for this job, or would I have to go though a license conversion process?

As I understand it, you can apply and be hired with a US ATP, and they will assist you with getting the UAE ATPL through conversion. You will have to have the UAE ATPL to fly for them.

What no local talent? Not that we would want any.

No, everything is sweat shop labor. Which has a lot to do with the UAE having one of the highest rates of diabetes in the world (for the actual citizens that is).

No, everything is sweat shop labor. Which has a lot to do with the UAE having one of the highest rates of diabetes in the world (for the actual citizens that is).

I think in the profession under discussion, everything everywhere is "sweat" shop labor...

As I understand it, you can apply and be hired with a US ATP, and they will assist you with getting the UAE ATPL through conversion. You will have to have the UAE ATPL to fly for them.

Hmm.... I wonder what competitive hours are for FOs... Their website just says "must have ICAO ATPL"....

Elsewhere on their website, they pretty much discount piston hours. For example, for street captains, mins are 6000 hours with a footnote that "piston time is not counted".

Wonder if they are desperate enough to be taking FOs with no turbine time yet....

Hmm.... I wonder what competitive hours are for FOs... Their website just says "must have ICAO ATPL"....

Elsewhere on their website, they pretty much discount piston hours. For example, for street captains, mins are 6000 hours with a footnote that "piston time is not counted".

Wonder if they are desperate enough to be taking FOs with no turbine time yet....

Nope.

not much of a chance. You'd need some RJ time at minimum and the bigger the better. Previous 777 or Airbus time is a plus.

I heard somewhere that FO's tend to be local and the street captains get to babysit.

Don't have a clue how true that is.

Hmm... You'd think they'd eventually have a supply of "local" captains then.

I'm surprised they haven't ramped up the training of more locals. Would likely be cheaper in the long run.

Hmm... You'd think they'd eventually have a supply of "local" captains then.

I'm surprised they haven't ramped up the training of more locals. Would likely be cheaper in the long run.

The economics just isn't there. Because of the forced local-partnership rule, if you're an Emirati you can just co-sign your name to some business for a living and make way more than a pilot for essentially a couple of hours of work per year.

I'm sure there are some locals who want something else in life and actually enjoy doing a specific job regardless of the money. BUT you can't build a business model that's essentially based on hobbyists.

I'm sure Emirates take them with open arms if they get them though.

Last edited:
The economics just isn't there. Because of the forced local-partnership rule, if you're an Emirati you can just co-sign your name to some business for a living and make way more than a pilot for essentially a couple of hours of work per year.

I'm sure there are some locals who want something else in life and actually enjoy doing a specific job regardless of the money. BUT you can't build a business model that's essentially based on hobbyists.

The irony of this statement is Epic. Now I digress before I get tar and feathered by the pro pilot lynch mob on here. :rolleyes:

Back