Emergency take-offs

Another accidental takeoff. Was supposed to be an airshow demo taxi to 100kts. Aircraft was not "airworthy". Quite likely not set up to be able to use the seats. Quite likely not much fuel even.

Very fortunate to get away with it.

Aircraft was XM715.

Spruce Goose..

Seriously, wow. Just watched the video, what I don't understand is how the engineer just "froze" ? That's worrisome.. luckily the dude flying knew what he was doing

Bad term,, inadvertent better explanation

Not sure I buy it
I know, I was thinking the same on some of these accidental take offs.. but given the erratic behavior on take off of the aircraft it looks genuine to me, like that captain was legit caught off guard. But always makes you a big suspicious when skilled pilots "accidentally" take off or pull some stunt "well it took off faster than I thought and it was the only safe thing to do!" <- yeah, okay

I don't know about anyone else, but I will practice emergency take offs every now and then.....

I don't know about anyone else, but I will practice emergency take offs every now and then.....
When at a class D/C/B do you declare to tower at the hold short line?

When at a class D/C/B do you declare to tower at the hold short line?

Ok, the story behind the emergency takeoff.

Years ago I was giving a BFR in College Station one afternoon. After the taxi and runup, the guy called the tower, which the tower guy that day was a friend of the pilot. He told him...."Easterwood Tower, Cessna 12345 is ready for take off at 16, and request a practice emergency takeoff".

Tower: "Cessna 12345 cleared for takeoff 16, and what the hell is a emergency takeoff.?? Never mind, cleared as requested.." :lol::lol:

Back in the infancy of ultralights, I strapped into one with the intention of some taxiing to familiarize myself with its ground handling. I'd never flown one, but had about hundred hours in hang gliders. This was in a Texas soybean field that had recently been disked and raked flat.

As I accelerated, the ride got bumpier, and I was more and more convinced I was going to lose control. At that point, I gave it full throttle, pitched the nose up, and took off.

Flying it was a helluva lot less scary than taxiing across the soybean field. I flew around for a few minutes and performed an uneventful landing.

I suppose you could call that an emergency takeoff. :D

Another accidental takeoff. Was supposed to be an airshow demo taxi to 100kts. Aircraft was not "airworthy". Quite likely not set up to be able to use the seats. Quite likely not much fuel even.

Aircraft was XM715.

His copilot should be tarred and feathered! Beaten even!

I did an emergency takeoff once. I was on my way back from OSH in 2015 at a fuel stop (Storm Lake Iowa), at night. I was calling a briefer to file a flight plan and get Wx for the remaining leg home. He proceeded to let me know that tornadoes had touched down 50nm away and that storm system was on its way towards us :eek:. He was also the most long winded briefer I've ever experienced and clearly didn't understand we needed to go NOW. The pilots I was with were all back seated in the Arrow, buckled up and ready to go by the time he finally finished his lovely conversation.

Anyway, we tookoff just fine and paralleled the storm the whole way home. By far one of the most beautiful flights I've ever done watching the light show.

Never done an emergency takeoff, but I did have our mechanics do a hard takeoff inspection once. :eek:

Back