Electronic window tint

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by James331, Feb 13, 2019.

1. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    hey guys,

Anyone know anything about electronic window tints? Always wanted to do this to my car but don’t know how much $$ and time I’m looking at, anyone have any experience?

Thanks

2. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    Its funny you bring this up because all of them I've seen in jets require an emergency power supply on the cabin door/e-exit windows. The thought is if you crash and lose all power you still need to be able to see through the door/e-exit to see if it safe to open it. That's right, they are dark without power. Power makes them clear. At least the ones I know of.

SoonerAviator, Matthew K and James331 like this.
  3. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Interesting.!!

4. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    I'm curious how they work. Can someone explain in laymen's terms?

5. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cap'n Jack
  6. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cap'n Jack
    Does it work that way on all planes? I've flown on a 787 twice. The cabin crew can control all the windows and they darkened them after take-off on both flights. When darkened, they block GPS signals, suggesting they have some current. See also: https://www.aerodefensetech.com/component/content/article/adt/features/articles/27502

7. SaltH2OHokie

SaltH2OHokie Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Do they have any films that remain see thru, but just get darker/lighter? Seems I've only seen where it goes from clear to opaque and back. Which isn't quite as useful in a car as would be the ability to dial 15% tint in middle of the day, and put it back to 50% at night.

On my vehicles I've found 20% to be good for me during the day, and acceptable at night, but would prefer a little lighter tint at night... And some days a little darker tint during the day.

8. bluesideup

bluesideup Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    bluesideup
    Hi.
    These are similar to the liquid crystal in the mode they operate. You place this liquid between two glass plates with a couple of electrical terminals in between / at each end. These liquids have cells that when at rest, no voltage applied, take a certain position, think of it as they lay down and they can be opaque. When a voltage is applied the cells stand up, or separate, you can see through, in the simplest mode of operation.

9. RJM62

RJM62 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    Sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me.

Rich

10. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    This is basically how they work. I had them installed as floor-to-ceiling office partions in my company office in the Persian Gulf when I lived there last decade. It's double panes of glass with an LCD film sandwiched in between them. Applying a current switches them from opaque to transparent. The ones I purchased were made in France.

In the chronically dusty environment of the Gulf they were easier to keep clean compared to blinds or drapes.