electronic vor equipment check log?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
I don't see anything in 91.171 (d) prohibiting electronic recordkeeping; does anyone do this? If so, how?

Spiral note book in the glove box would work

Our club records it in the blue usage log we record our rental times in.

There isn't anything in that regulation about electronic recordkeeping, but Advisory Circular 120-78 covers the process of having an electronic recordkeeping system approved by the FAA. For this purpose, you really wouldn't want to bother with all that. Just get a cheap pocket-size notebook and leave it in the glove box.

Second the cheap notebook in the glove box.

In the rentals, we wrote it on the back of the receipt book.
I've got a small spiral note pad I keep in the plane for copying IFR clearances that has the VOR checks on the back cover.

When GPS database update logging was still required, I had two sided preprinted sheets that I kept on the clipboard with airport diagrams. GPS logging on one side, VOR on the other.

Now, since it's just VOR (and I'm not flying much IFR and I don't check the VOR as regularly) I simply log it with that flight's info in my logbook.

Right before my instrument check ride I very nicely packaged up the W&B info and all the required supplements to the non existent flight manual in a new binder and put a page in for VOR logging. I entered the VOR check there and also in the little SL30 thing that pops up when you power it up. I never take the binder out anymore. It was purely to demonstrate compliance with the rules for the checkride.

Thinking back on all the AC I've flown (no the list is not particularly long), I've never seen a glove box in an airplane. Have I just not flown the right model or is it something only common in much older planes?

Many were taken out in the "heyday" of big radios in the 90s to make room for all that wonderful analogue stuff.

A 3x5" spiral notepad is stone simple for entries to keep your VORs IFR legal. Just like eveyone elsr sez. However, I can't remember the last time I used a VOR for primary nav. I keep'm legal for backup.

A 3x5" spiral notepad is stone simple for entries to keep your VORs IFR legal. Just like eveyone elsr sez. However, I can't remember the last time I used a VOR for primary nav. I keep'm legal for backup.

Same here. But, there's still lots of folks still flying non-WAAS GPS who need to keep those VOR checks up to date.

I'm sure the OP knows how to get a cheap spiral notebook. That's not what he asked. He asked if anyone knows how to maintain a VOR log electronically.

I have no experience with it but since all you've got so far is 'spiral note book' with and without dimensions I'd offer this. Download 'Google Keep' for your iPad or phone. (Android or iOS) then just make a note called VOR log. Every time you do one (every 30 days min) just log the date, VOR, type test, and accuracy. Now, you're supposed to initial it so put your initials. The fact that it's on your phone / iPad sorta proves it's you.

For a club or partnership, it sounds like the way to go is an official dead tree log and an unofficial shared spreadsheet so pilots can check before driving out to the airport.

Thanks.

I'm sure the OP knows how to get a cheap spiral notebook. That's not what he asked. He asked if anyone knows how to maintain a VOR log electronically.

I have no experience with it but since all you've got so far is 'spiral note book' with and without dimensions I'd offer this. Download 'Google Keep' for your iPad or phone. (Android or iOS) then just make a note called VOR log. Every time you do one (every 30 days min) just log the date, VOR, type test, and accuracy. Now, you're supposed to initial it so put your initials. The fact that it's on your phone / iPad sorta proves it's you.

An airline pilot I know, who also flies a 182, logs it into one of his radios. I don't recall exactly what he has in his stack, but something allows him to keep notes.

Also, if you fly with an ipad, then you could just insert an event into the calendar. Title the event "VOR check" and then put the details in the note section of the event.

Ron will be along shortly to tell us all why none of these dogs will hunt.

For a club or partnership.....

Ohhhhhh, a club plane, well that's a horse of different color.

Last edited:
An airline pilot I know, who also flies a 182, logs it into one of his radios. I don't recall exactly what he has in his stack, but something allows him to keep notes.

Also, if you fly with an ipad, then you could just insert an event into the calendar. Title the event "VOR check" and then put the details in the note section of the event.

That's a great idea and just gave me an idea. Use that old ADF that you never use and just enter the Julian date for the log! If you never use nav 2 you could leave the freq of the test VOR in standby so yo have the date and VOR freq used. The other stuff is always the same...dual VOR check, zero degree error.

Ok. I'll play. Where's the required signature ?

Ok. I'll play. Where's the required signature ?

IIRC...He enters his name (as an electronic signature) and his pilot certificate #.

In the United States, the definition of what qualifies as an electronic signature is wide and is set out in the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act ("UETA") of 1999.

Technically compliant? Probably...but maybe not. However I put it this the category of 'no one really cares.' Do you really think there will be an action if he's ever ramp checked and asked to show his VOR log?

I don't.

I'm going thru the PACE program next weekend (at least I'm planning to), I'll ask the guys/gals for their opinion.

IIRC...He enters his name (as an electronic signature) and his pilot certificate #.

In the United States, the definition of what qualifies as an electronic signature is wide and is set out in the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act ("UETA") of 1999.
For FAA purposes, it's established in Advisory Circular 120-78, and it requires FAA approval for any electronic recordkeeping system by your overseeing FSDO. One of the key requirements is that the system have a means of detecting any alterations to the record, and putting it in the calendar function of your iPad won't do that. For this purpose, a little paper notebook is way easier than going that route.

WAY easier.

Our club planes have a 3 ring binder in the seat back that holds most of the required documents. No airworthiness cert, that's in a pocket in the plane. Included in the binder is a home brew form for recording VOR checks. Look, if within the required time, fly. If not and you're flying IFR, make the checks. We have two, so we typically just note them both against the on-field VORTAC, sign and fly. Works fine.

Back