Electroair Ignition System?

There are technical issues with moving to a 6 cylinder set-up. I can't remember if it is a gearing issue internal to the EI or if it is some issue with the crank position pick-up.

Interesting. I can't think what the issues would be since it's a common setup in the rest of the world. If I were looking to do something form scratch, I'd start with a Ford EDIS6.

I was told that accurate advance timing wasn't possible in a 6 cylinder pmag because of slop in the accessory gears driving the mags. Thus my decision, long ago, to not wait for the 6cyl version and go with the electroair.

In theory the electronic ignition should be better.
In practice, not so much.
And if you are going to buy new Slick mags, spend your money on a set of rebuilt Bendix with a new impulse coupling, fine wire or Iridium plugs, and a new set of wires. Get it timed properly (by a mechanic who understands more about ignition than just lining up with the mark - which is usually off)
Your engine will thank you for many years.

These opinions are based on many decades of watching others spend their money. If electronic or Slick had proven to be better in practice I would be banging the drum for them - and have them on my engines.

I want the people who make important stuff to pay attention to details.

You mean like the parts they're selling?

Keep in mind that much of aviation is still small business run by older people who may not have as good of an understanding of the Internet, and many of the pilots are similar. They also know websites cost money to do.

I don't judge based on the website, I tend to ask others what their experiences were. That's proven to be much more accurate and worth a lot more.

As someone who flies 6-cylinder engines and is all about making upgrades that help efficiency, it's annoyed me that there seems to be little available either certified or experimental for the 6s. I'd be all over it.

More evidence that that the FAA isn't as big of a problem as folks would have you believe.

More evidence that that the FAA isn't as big of a problem as folks would have you believe.

How so? The electronic systems are mostly aimed at the experimental market (makes sense) and most of that is 4-cylinders.

Back