Electric Lawn Tools

Stihl is the way.
Couldn't keep a gas weedeater going due to ethanol, off season, etc and was not going to wear my shoulders out trying to keep it running.
Got a battery blower soon after.
One battery bricked, but was replaced free under warranty by the local dealer.
Stihl may cost more, but the local support is worth it for sure.
I've had good luck with Stihl, Echo, and Husqvarna stuff in commercial applications. It's why I run Echo for most all of my stuff. They're all more robust than the generic brands in my experience.

The thing that bugs be about battery-operated tools is that eventually the battery will need to be replaced, and it may not be possible to get one.

The thing that bugs be about battery-operated tools is that eventually the battery will need to be replaced, and it may not be possible to get one.
Which is a great argument for going with an established brand. Makita or Dewalt will still sell you a NiCd battery for a 30 year old tool. My oldest makita lithium tools were bought in 2005 when they first came out. It came with three batteries. One died in about year 15, another one just a year ago, and one still works, although it's about half capacity. I have had one newer battery fall just outside of the warranty period, but other than that I've been amazed by their longevity, especially compared to the old NiCds that would only last for a couple years.

I would expect stihl, ego, ryobi, makita, Dewalt, and Milwaukee to be around and selling batteries for as long as any of us are.

Which is a great argument for going with an established brand. Makita or Dewalt will still sell you a NiCd battery for a 30 year old tool. My oldest makita lithium tools were bought in 2005 when they first came out. It came with three batteries. One died in about year 15, another one just a year ago, and one still works, although it's about half capacity. I have had one newer battery fall just outside of the warranty period, but other than that I've been amazed by their longevity, especially compared to the old NiCds that would only last for a couple years.

I would expect stihl, ego, ryobi, makita, Dewalt, and Milwaukee to be around and selling batteries for as long as any of us are.

After that Greenworks fiasco, this is the exact reason I went with Toro for the replacement mower.

Tim

Yup, that's why I went with EGO as well. Established brand and has been around for a decade, sold in big box stores like Lowes as a "premium" brand compared to their Kobalt stuff. I felt less concerned about finding a battery later on, even if it was a refurbished unit.

Battery packs are very often rebuildable. Crack open an old NiCd or NiMH pack and you'll often find standard size (AA/C/D) cells with solder tabs. These days it'll probably be 18650 lithium cells.

I've had Ryobi 18+ tools since 2003 and they still use the same battery form factor. Battery chemistry has changed, but the tools don't care.

I have used Ryobi power tools for 20+ years and have at least a dozen batteries, so I stuck with them. I have abused those tools brutally. Worst was a recip saw that I accidentally buried in a muddy hole and left overnight. Still works.

My Ryobi yard stuff is a mix of 40v and 18v. Mower, hedge trimmer, blower, and chain saw are 40v. Edger and pole saw are 18V. Never had a problem with any of it.

I went with a non-propelled mower. Felt silly going to the gym and then buying a mower that pushes itself. But it is ridiculously light, so I move faster than SP would. The 6V battery that came with the mower is sufficient for my yard, which is about 5000 SF.

IMO electrical stuff is way better than gas. Zero point zero maintenance. I have a 4 stroke pressure washer and was forever tinkering with the carb, though switching to ethanol-free gas seems to have ended that.

....Felt silly going to the gym and then buying a mower that pushes itself...
That's kind of like why I ride my bike to group ride starting points. It felt strange getting in the car to drive to start my bike riding.

This thread has convinced me to dip into the electric yard equipment space at my next need. Three years ago I was all set to buy electric mower and a guy at Home Depot talked me out of it. He said he's seen way too many electric mowers returned b/c they're not cutting it.

Bought DeWalt leaf blower for sidewalks and their chainsaw for going out west in case a branch fell in the trail. At home im on 5 acres with 3 acres heavily wooded and the other 2 acres some pretty steep hills. Stihl ms391 with a 20" bar. And exmark 52" zero turn with a kawasaki. I doubt electric would work for me.

That's kind of like why I ride my bike to group ride starting points. It felt strange getting in the car to drive to start my bike riding.

This thread has convinced me to dip into the electric yard equipment space at my next need. Three years ago I was all set to buy electric mower and a guy at Home Depot talked me out of it. He said he's seen way too many electric mowers returned b/c they're not cutting it.
I think there remains a significant difference between the success rate of battery operated blowers, trimmers, hedge clippers and the like vs battery powered mowers. I had a buddy who went through 2 battery powered mowers that simply didn't have the capacity to cut his small yard on the provided battery. Nor could they (effectively) scalp his lawn like a gas powered mower could. He returned both of them. I think one was a 40V and the other one had higher voltage, but I don't remember the specifics.

I've had mixed experiences with Greenworks. Their electric powerwasher I got was a complete piece of crap and blew up early on. Margy had a two battery push lawnmower that wasn't too bad for the years it lasted. We've had better luck with the WORX line of electric lawn/garden stuff.

We've had Kobalt (Lowes) 80v mower, whacker, blower units for 5 seasons and no issues. The 80v mower shrugs off damp grass that a gas mower would choke on. Batteries still perfect, but I'm careful to store them at ~50% charge level if they're going to sit, the secret to lithium battery longevity.

I stopped at HD on the way home from the airport so I could pick up a couple of things. I ended up looking at the Ryobi 40V trimmer/blower/batter combo. While was there, one of the guys mentioned he had two Ryobi hedge trimmer attachments that can be added to the trimmer - $10 clearance. Apparently the new SKU is different from the two he had, and they were trying to get rid of them. For $10, I seriously considered buying one, then keeping it until later assuming I'm going to get the Ryobi trimmer anyway. But I already have a corded hedge trimmer that I haven't used in many years, so other than loaning a new one out, I'd probably never use it.

But that 40V kit looked like it would do the job on my yard with plenty of surplus power. And a quick and easy blower would sure be nice for getting grass clippings and leaves out of my garage and off the driveway. I have a pretty good blower/vac but it's corded and I use that one in the fall.

That is one of the reasons I invested in all Makita for my cordless tools. The batteries have maintained the same interface for many years and have committed to do so for many more years.

That is one of the reasons I invested in all Makita for my cordless tools. The batteries have maintained the same interface for many years and have committed to do so for many more years.
Same. They have recently introduced a bigger 40V battery, but also make (AFAIK) all the same tools in a version that uses 2x 18V batteries. My blower and chainsaw are that way, as is my dad's mower I mentioned above. They even make a couple interesting things like a power wheelbarrow that can be had in a 4x 18V configuration or a 2x 40V.

I don't think yellow and red offer that choice.

My string trimmer, after 20 years, was acting up. So I replaced the fuel filter and hoses, still cranky. I looked at a carb rebuild kit, a new carb and an electric replacement. At $20 the new carb won out.

I'm on team yellow and their 60V batteries can also be used on their 20V tools should you want a giant battery for some reason.

My string trimmer, after 20 years, was acting up. So I replaced the fuel filter and hoses, still cranky. I looked at a carb rebuild kit, a new carb and an electric replacement. At $20 the new carb won out.

I'm on team yellow and their 60V batteries can also be used on their 20V tools should you want a giant battery for some reason.
I’ve rebuilt a trimmer carb once. For all the trouble, simply buying a replacement is so much easier.

I’ve rebuilt a trimmer carb once. For all the trouble, simply buying a replacement is so much easier.
Yup, and the cost difference between rebuild kit vs new carb is usually $20 or so. It's worth $20 not to spend time jacking with a cheap Chinese carburetor.

Yep. Team yellow here, too. I fought hard against electric yard tools but after wrenching on two different models of gas trimmers over the years, I finally relented and got the battery string trimmer. I upsized the string by half a step (I think I read that tip on here somewhere) and it does everything I need it to do on our whopping .75 acre piece of dirt - usually on less than one 5Ah battery.

Last edited:
I'm not much of a yard work guy. The wife handles most of the tiny lawn, large fruit/veg garden, and landscaping. I do all the house upkeep and remodel. I have an old EGO gas chainsaw and I think it's red. My Milwaukee sawzall is red. Some OLD Makita stuff is blue. Some Ryobi's are red some a kind of yellow-green.
In this thread's context, teams red and yellow refer to?

I'm not much of a yard work guy. The wife handles most of the tiny lawn, large fruit/veg garden, and landscaping. I do all the house upkeep and remodel. I have an old EGO gas chainsaw and I think it's red. My Milwaukee sawzall is red. Some OLD Makita stuff is blue. Some Ryobi's are red some a kind of yellow-green.
In this thread's context, teams red and yellow refer to?
Milwaukee and Dewalt, if I'm not mistaken.

Milwaukee and Dewalt, if I'm not mistaken.
Yup. The red Milwaukee "Fuel" line of cordless tools has built up quite a following over the past few years. I have 3 of the DeWalt Max XR items simply because I bought into that ecosystem a long while before with the 18V stuff. Really can't go wrong with either one.

Milwaukee (team red) dominated the corded tool market, but was late to get serious about battery tools, and dewalt (team yellow) ate their lunch. They have made an impressive comeback with their lithium line to the point where it's kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. Meanwhile Makita (team...teal... I guess?) invented both NiMh power tools and lithium ion, but have never had anywhere near the market penetration. They got a good pop when they introduced the first lithium drill & driver. That's what got me started in their ecosystem. I still use the drill and used the driver right up until it fell off the forklift and I ran over it last year.

Milwaukee (team red) dominated the corded tool market, but was late to get serious about battery tools, and dewalt (team yellow) ate their lunch. They have made an impressive comeback with their lithium line to the point where it's kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. Meanwhile Makita (team...teal... I guess?) invented both NiMh power tools and lithium ion, but have never had anywhere near the market penetration. They got a good pop when they introduced the first lithium drill & driver. That's what got me started in their ecosystem. I still use the drill and used the driver right up until it fell off the forklift and I ran over it last year.
That's exactly why Milwaukee and Dewalt dominate the market. Bright colors. Easy to spot when they fall off the forklift, so they don't be getting run over.

:)

I am mixed on electric and gas for small yard tools. For the lawn there really isn't an electric option that will work tell that to the states that want to ban all gas equipment. We have 2 acres and it is pretty hilly so zero turn is not an option. It takes about 3 hours on the riding lawn mower. I recently picked up and older rider from a friend so we have two. The wife and I have been tag teaming the lawn to cut the time down recently since it needs to be cut pretty much every week. Once the summer heat comes and the lawn stops growing so fast she will probably cut it every two to three weeks.

That's exactly why Milwaukee and Dewalt dominate the market. Bright colors. Easy to spot when they fall off the forklift, so they don't be getting run over.

:)
Dewalt has one huge advantage: they are retailer agnostic. 50% of power tools are sold by Home Depot or Lowes. HD sells Dewalt, Rigid, Ryobi, Makita, and Milwaukee. Lowes sells Dewalt, Craftsman, Kobalt, and Bosch. Only Dewalt has the market power to demand shelf space in both.

Dewalt has one huge advantage: they are retailer agnostic. 50% of power tools are sold by Home Depot or Lowes. HD sells Dewalt, Rigid, Ryobi, Makita, and Milwaukee. Lowes sells Dewalt, Craftsman, Kobalt, and Bosch. Only Dewalt has the market power to demand shelf space in both.
Fwiw
1506429411-pressha.jpg

Ryobi is the more homeowner (as opposed to "professional") line of TTI.

The Ryobi 40v stuff is good, but dang those batteries are pricey.
Yes if you pay full retail for just the battery but there are always deals, bundles, and clearance sales where you can get a tool and battery included for almost the cost of just a battery alone

I have been supper happy with the Ryobi 40v line for home use...not sure I would invest if I was day to day use but for the weekend warrior they are the best option IMO due to the massive product line on both the 18v and 40v systems.

images.jpeg

Yes if you pay full retail for just the battery but there are always deals, bundles, and clearance sales where you can get a tool and battery included for almost the cost of just a battery alone

I have been supper happy with the Ryobi 40v line for home use...not sure I would invest if I was day to day use but for the weekend warrior they are the best option IMO due to the massive product line on both the 18v and 40v systems.

View attachment 129526
Yeah, I'm not putting them down by any means. They have some really cool and innovative stuff, and I agree that they might have the broadest lineup. I've been real tempted to buy a couple of their things that makita doesn't make.

@Ventucky Red .... did you ever get a lawn mower? :)

Back