Electric Lawn Tools

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
The wife and I are looking to take the plunge and get back to cutting and maintaining our yard again. We have burned through a few "Mow, Glow, and Go" guys, and in the end, they just don't do the job...

Anyway... I have been looking at getting all electric tools and there seems to be many options... Any recommendations, brands, voltage, etc... here is the one I am thinking about due to the 4 year guarantee

Thanks

How big a lawn?

I have a 40V Black and Decker mower and blower - it's nice to be able to interchange batteries - in the fall the battery in the blower can run out before the leaves are all moved. For normal summer mowing I barely use 1/4 of the battery on my postage stamp size lawn.

I had a greenworks 80v mower. It was overkill for my yard. It lived outdoors at the airport for a couple years (covered) for when I had to mow my tiedown, and it did a great job there. I think the hardest part was sourcing a replacement blade, maybe not surprising given short product lifecycles. The mower got passed along but I still have the 80v leafblower and snowblower.

I got a sunjoe 40v mower for home. Plastic deck, much lighter and more appropriate for my little lawn.

I would like a battery-powered string trimmer and/or shopvac, but I'm not loving all the different battery ecosystems at this point, so I've been holding off.

Last edited:
I share in an informal “tool co-op” with a friend. We moved into the EGO ecosystem and it’s really nice for most things.

We have their chainsaw, weedeater and blower so far. Also a Ryobi pole saw. Wonderful for many tasks, not worrying about whether a certain tool will start or not.

If I’m doing a LOT of weedeating, I’ll still reach for our 2-stroke Stihl with handlebars. Runs forever on a tank and I find it more maneuverable. And if felling multiple trees or cutting up logs, our Stihl chainsaw often comes out.

But electric is definitely the future. Shop carefully, because it’s a big advantage to having all the tools share batteries. We like the EGO brand, and the handful of tools we’ve bought from them have worked reliably to date.

We had greenworks. Roughly 1/3 acre lawn, flat. Four mowers replaced in two years. I do not think I will get another greenworks equipment anytime soon.
Outsourced it for a few years, and back to doing the lawn ourselves. Now using a Toro, on the fourth year. Had to replace the blade last year, and the battery this year. Really should have replaced the battery last year.
The 7.5 amp/hour or whatever the metric is, runs about 10 minutes shy of finishing the lawn, so we use the old battery to finish.

Tim

We bought 20v string trimmer. Uses a string more like fishing line than trimmer string. Runs for about 40 minutes. The bride uses it to trim around her veg garden.
Meh.

My neighbor has an EGO electric lawnmower. I haven’t borrowed it for a test drive. It’s self propelled and seems to do a really nice job when bagging. I don’t think I’ve seen the results after mulching. She gets a full yard out of it, maybe 1/4 acre(?). I think the only time the charge doesn’t last is in the spring after a lot of rain. The grass here will grow so quickly and thick, plus it’s heavy with moisture, that the mower works hard enough to drain the batteries before the yard is done. Maybe keeping the blade sharpened more often would help.

I have some battery tools, as well as corded and gas. The battery tools are handy, generally work well. My battery skill saw eats blades at a much faster rate than my corded one. I had a battery leaf blower, the battery died and was more expensive to replace than buying a new gas one. That battery only lasted a year. My Sister heats their house primarily with wood. so they cut several chords of wood a year. They have a battery chain saw as well as gas. The battery one is handy for small jobs, but not up to the task of what they do. Battery replacement is expensive. The guy who has been mowing our lawn for a few years, tried battery trimmers. They were not up to the commercial task.
So they are back to using gas powered. That said, for the home owner the battery ones are probably good enough, and they keep getting better. But watch out when the battery dies. They are expensive to replace, and often can't be fixed. Neighbor bought a battery snowblower. It's fine for his small driveway with a typical couple inch powdery snow. but not much more.
Some battery tools, you can get long term battery replacement warrantee. Probably one time that extended warrantees are worth it.

I will never understand the move away from user-replaceable batteries in consumer electronics.

I run an EGO edger and have used it for 3-4 mowing seasons. Still on the original battery.

Pros: it does just what I need it to, but I'm only edging a driveway that's a little longer than average (can fit about 10 cars on it). So I never come close to running the battery down. It has good power and is dead simple to use, no worrying about whether it will start or not. I charge it about every 3rd edging and it's never down past 50%.

Cons: it's heavier than a gas-powered edger, mostly due to the battery pack. If I were using a string trimmer, I'd be annoyed with the weight pretty quickly even on my 3/4 lot. I use an Echo gas string trimmer which is noticeably lighter and uses a bit over 1/3 tank of fuel per mowing which is much better than lugging around a heavy battery-powered variant and possibly not having enough power to get through it all on a charge.

Those same things apply to the battery-powered mowers, they're just heavy once you have a battery pack on them. Yes, they're self-propelled, but the weight would still get tedious when turning. Probably fine for a 1/4 acre lot, don't think it would make it on my 3/4 acre when the grass is thick/wet, so then I'm having to buy an extra battery pack. Just like with EVs, they fit certain use-cases, but not anything that requires extended run times or high loads.

Do you have any lithium power tools already? I'm deeply invested into the makita ecosystem. Their chainsaw and blower get used heavily at my place and are awesome. My dad bought their push mower, I haven't used it but he likes it. All of this stuff uses the same 18V batteries as my drills etc. They also have a 40V line now. I assume red & yellow do the same thing.

If you have no interest in power tools, my wife's uncle, who is a mostly retired professional landscaper, won't shut up about his EGO line of equipment. I get the impression they make the best dedicated OPE line.

As an experienced EGO user (my gas weedwacker died two weeks ago, so I’ve used the electric trimmer and blower once), it was recommended by my neighbor who’s been using his mower/trimmer/blower for a few ears with no problems.

It’s lighter than my gas powered, and seems to work better. My neighbor’s trimmer is heavier, but he uses his mower battery on the trimmer.

I (very hesitantly) bought an EGO push mower about a month ago. It was about $800, but it's really quite nice. Compared to a gas powered one, it's smooth and pretty quiet, and it cuts nicely. When bought it on "sale" and it came with a second battery for free as part of the sale promotion. We can do the entire front yard on the "main" battery, then swap to the second one for the (smaller) backyard. So far, so good. Gas powered push mowers are very hard to come by anymore (in part because Honda quit making small gas engines for them).

I’ve looked at a number of electric platforms. I’ve got a 7 year old Honda 4-stroke mower that I think has burned less gas in total since I bought it than it would cost to replace a battery for an electric one. I use the same gas in the edger and trimmer and leaf blower, just with a little splash of oil. I mix up the 2-stroke mix once a year.

On the other hand, I do need to wear earplugs when I use all of those. I can understand the appeal of the electrics, but they’re not cheaper to buy and probably not cheaper to operate… so I’m not seeing a compelling case for them.

after having some battery tools (sawzall, circ, etc) many years ago that were garbage with battery not holding charge long and taking forever to charge, I went back to everything corded for shop tools and kept gas for lawn. My cheap bolens trimmer had a gas leak that would have required replacing the gas tank a few years ago. I ended up replacing with an EGO trimmer. Wow, so much better. No going to gas station for gas, storing gas, mixing oil/gas, etc. The EGO is quieter, less vibration ( i use for edging too so my cuts are better), and zero maintenance, just have to remember to charge battery. Given that on more than one occasion, I have had a gas power tool require some unexpected maintenance that kept me form using it until i could get replacement parts, charging a battery is less of an inconvenience. I still use my gas mower because it still works. i did consider replacing with electric if it required anything more than some minor carb maintenance a couple of months ago. I hate to say it but, I did buy a leaf blower to make getting the pine needles off the roof during fire season easier and went EGO as well. For small saw work, I think electric chainsaws are great but, I have kept my gas stihl as I have larger work at our cabin from time to time. Even professional tree trimmers are starting to use electric saws for tree top work.

I'm not sure if gas machines are still cheaper over the life cycle when you factor everything in. When I bought my trimmer a few years it seemed only slightly more expensive than a comparable gas trimmer. Just doing a a quick google search, gas vs electric lawmmowers seem surprisingly comparable in price when looking at Honda vs EGO.

As an experienced EGO user (my gas weedwacker died two weeks ago, so I’ve used the electric trimmer and blower once), it was recommended by my neighbor who’s been using his mower/trimmer/blower for a few ears with no problems.

It’s lighter than my gas powered, and seems to work better. My neighbor’s trimmer is heavier, but he uses his mower battery on the trimmer.
Were you using a really large commercial gas unit? The EGO string trimmer weighs almost 13lbs with the 4 amp-hour battery, an Echo standard trimmer weights 11.5lbs. The cheap "weed eater/troy bilt" brands weight under 10lbs fueled up.

after having some battery tools (sawzall, circ, etc) many years ago that were garbage with battery not holding charge long and taking forever to charge, I went back to everything corded for shop tools and kept gas for lawn. My cheap bolens trimmer had a gas leak that would have required replacing the gas tank a few years ago. I ended up replacing with an EGO trimmer. Wow, so much better. No going to gas station for gas, storing gas, mixing oil/gas, etc. The EGO is quieter, less vibration ( i use for edging too so my cuts are better), and zero maintenance, just have to remember to charge battery. Given that on more than one occasion, I have had a gas power tool require some unexpected maintenance that kept me form using it until i could get replacement parts, charging a battery is less of an inconvenience. I still use my gas mower because it still works. i did consider replacing with electric if it required anything more than some minor carb maintenance a couple of months ago. I hate to say it but, I did buy a leaf blower to make getting the pine needles off the roof during fire season easier and went EGO as well. For small saw work, I think electric chainsaws are great but, I have kept my gas stihl as I have larger work at our cabin from time to time. Even professional tree trimmers are starting to use electric saws for tree top work.

I'm not sure if gas machines are still cheaper over the life cycle when you factor everything in. When I bought my trimmer a few years it seemed only slightly more expensive than a comparable gas trimmer. Just doing a a quick google search, gas vs electric lawmmowers seem surprisingly comparable in price when looking at Honda vs EGO.
Well, Honda is generally top-tier in price/quality, so the prices are going to be closer to the electrics. Plenty of commercial crews running Honda mower equipment, same with Toro. The Yard Man/MTD stuff will be considerably cheaper. You can almost buy two of the cheap self-propelled gas mowers from Wally world for the price of one EGO.

I love the EGO brand.
Now that I have a little more time, I will expand on my previous statement.

I have .9acre corner lot, bordered on two sides by about 400 feet of sidewalk.
Not counting the house, about a third of my property is grass. The rest of it is landscaped with mulched Islands and native plants and trees. I have a lot of trees; five of them are huge Live Oaks that may be in the 300-400 yr old range (as per an arborist).

I have used my EGO chain saw to bring down invasive trees and to cut fallen limbs that are too big to move in one piece.
I use the EGO edger around the sidewalks and the mulched Islands.
I use the EGO string trimmer around a bunch of tight areas that are tough to get the mower in.
I use the EGO blower mainly to clean the roof about a dozen times a year (those oaks drop a lot of leaves). My wife hates the blower so she sweeps the sidewalks.
I use the EGO hedge trimmer for, trimming hedges".

I have three batteries: two 1.5Amp and a 4 Amp battery.
On a long day I only emptied all the batteries twice, but even then, by time I empty the last battery, the first one is fully charged again.
I mostly use the 1.5Amp batteries because they are lighter.

In four (or five, I forget) years I have never had a single problem. My oldest battery (1.5 Amp) is beginning to drain faster than it used to, but it still lets me use the string trimmer for almost an hour.

I'll never go back to gas tools again.

I live in the desert.

I'll never go back to grass tools again...:lol:
I'm getting there. We have already replaced about two-thirds of our grass with mulched Islands full of native plants. But even without grass, we have a ton of vegetation that will grow wild if not tamed.

Here we call that vegetation, weeds.

The soil won't support grass but the weeds sure like it.!!

Here we call that vegetation, weeds.
That's what I call them. But my wife calls them Native Plants. They make her happy so I take care of them.
The soil won't support grass but the weeds sure like it.!!
Florida soil (sand) won't really support grass either. But if you put enough fertilizer and irrigate the hell out of it, it will grow well. And that is what most people do and that is why we have a fresh water problem and a lot of our pollution problems. That fertilizer runoff makes algae blooms of epic proportions. We haven't used fertilizer or pesticides for years and we only irrigate lightly during droughts. Our three rain barrels provide most of the irrigation we need. (Apologies to the OP for getting on my soap box and off topic).

Well, Honda is generally top-tier in price/quality, so the prices are going to be closer to the electrics. Plenty of commercial crews running Honda mower equipment, same with Toro. The Yard Man/MTD stuff will be considerably cheaper. You can almost buy two of the cheap self-propelled gas mowers from Wally world for the price of one EGO.
agreed. That was why i used the word comparable. I can get a electric lawnmower on amazon for $150 if we are only looking at price. If price is the only factor, why not go with a reel mower for $80. I have had the Yardman/MTD/bolens stuff and it works but, required more maintenance. I just went on Ace's website and they have a craftsman string trimmer for $149 and an ego (with battery and charger) for $159. Full disclosure, I did not compare specs (power, weight, etc). Seems like prices are getting closer to me.

edit: we were talking lawnmowers so I did a quick search on home depot for lower end mowers (that were actually available). Yes, there were cheaper gas powered but, they were not in stock.
1716485571855.png

Last edited:
agreed. That was why i used the word comparable. I can get a electric lawnmower on amazon for $150 if we are only looking at price. If price is the only factor, why not go with a reel mower for $80. I have had the Yardman/MTD/bolens stuff and it works but, required more maintenance. I just went on Ace's website and they have a craftsman string trimmer for $149 and an ego (with battery and charger) for $159. Full disclosure, I did not compare specs (power, weight, etc). Seems like prices are getting closer to me.
As big an EGO fan as I am, I will admit that brands like Stihl may have better specifications. If I were a professional, that is what I would get.
But for a homeowner, I think the ease of grabbing a cordless tool and sliding a battery and pulling the on-switch is way superior to fooling with gas, oil, starters, spark plugs, carburetors etc.
And EGO is on the expensive side, but as I said, I use mine a lot and have had no problems in almost four years. I never had a gas tool I could say that about.

As big an EGO fan as I am, I will admit that brands like Stihl may have better specifications. If I were a professional, that is what I would get.
But for a homeowner, I think the ease of grabbing a cordless tool and sliding a battery and pulling the on-switch is way superior to fooling with gas, oil, starters, spark plugs, carburetors etc.
And EGO is on the expensive side, but as I said, I use mine a lot and have had no problems in almost four years. I never had a gas tool I could say that about.
I remember working landscaping in college and commercial use is another beast compared to a homeowner. A single week on a lawn crew is like 5 years wear and tear to homeowner. And time with the forest service, I'm taking my gas stihl for that. The reality is that as homeowner I don't need anything that robust but, I will pay more for something that lasts 20 years with minimal maintenance as its cheaper in the long run. I should also mention that i have solar so I do have the upfront cost to work through while paying my $10 or $11 monthly fee to be hooked up to the grid.

Ego fan here as well. Have basic push mower with bagger and trimmer. Push mower is pretty light and maneuverable. Think I have one 7.5 AH for mower and I think 5 AH for trimmer. 2nd year of use now. About 1/2 acre lot. Never had battery not make it. Although wont scalp and bag burmuda grass without charge mid-cut. Was a die-hard gas power everything . And a cheap A**. Happen to be pretty knowledgeable mechanic. Just got tired of fixing things, pulling chords to start , injuring shoulder , oil changes, spark plugs .. ugggh. makes me uptight just thinking about all that. Now, just grab a battery and go. Even the trimmer has a self loading spool. I do suggest, if you do buy into electric, good idea to invest in the entire line. That is my plan at least. Hopefully Ego sticks around for a while.

edit: we were talking lawnmowers so I did a quick search on home depot for lower end mowers (that were actually available). Yes, there were cheaper gas powered but, they were not in stock.
View attachment 129061
All of my lawn equipment is EGO. Never had a problem.

All of my power tools are Ryobi. (remember, I'm not a professional, otherwise I'd have Makita or such). I have had several Ryobi batteries just die, never to revive again. Of course though, they cost much less to replace. I just don't like replacing items that die for no real reason. But even inexpensive tools like Ryobi are zillions of times easier to take to the job site and start using. If I need to re-enforce the panels on a shed or fence I don't need to drag a 200 ft extension cord or haul out a generator.

The wife and I are looking to take the plunge and get back to cutting and maintaining our yard again. We have burned through a few "Mow, Glow, and Go" guys, and in the end, they just don't do the job...

Anyway... I have been looking at getting all electric tools and there seems to be many options... Any recommendations, brands, voltage, etc... here is the one I am thinking about due to the 4 year guarantee

Thanks
I bought a 56v EGO electric mower this spring to cut the grass in-between landscaper visits (yard is growing like crazy this yr and, no pun intended but their 1x a week visit wasn't cutting it for me).
So far I've been quite happy with it. I get a solid 50 minutes of run time and it works great. Prior to this I'd only used gas mowers. This one took about 5 minutes of unboxing and "setup". Easy as can be.

The pros are that it's quieter, has less less vibration and doesn't require a trip to refill a gas can. The downsides are w/50 mins of run time that means I can really only owe the backyard or front yard on a single charge. I'd need a second battery or to recharge if I want to do the full yard. Not a problem for me though because I rarely want to push a mower around for 2 hours straight :D. Also it burns through battery a bit quicker if you're mowing over thicker patches of dense, tall grass.

I also use an electric Kobalt 120mph leaf blower. Best money I've ever spent for my yard. Before I was raking and it was a multiday project if I did it myself. Now it takes me about 3 charges and 2 hours to do the whole yard in fall/spring.

Were you using a really large commercial gas unit? The EGO string trimmer weighs almost 13lbs with the 4 amp-hour battery, an Echo standard trimmer weights 11.5lbs. The cheap "weed eater/troy bilt" brands weight under 10lbs fueled up.
It was a 4-stroke Weedwacker (Craftsman?)

I’ve only got the 2.5 A-h battery on my EGO.

All this talk about electrics reminds me of Frenchie from a review I read prior to purchasing the most powerful backpack blower on the market at the time.

Copy and paste below.
By Alan E. Schmidt - Published on Amazon.com

In one word "DOMINATING". The Tanaka 65cc TBL-7800 has made me king of the cul-de-sac. They now call me the blow king.

Autumn. 2009. My Tanaka 65cc TBL-7800 arrived late in the afternoon. 4:16 p.m. A quick scan of the yards in the cul-de-sac revealed that the trees had left an abundance of prey all over. My adversaries, or as you would call them, my neighbors, were also surveying the battlefield. I locked eyes with my neighbor, Francis, I lowered my brow and gave him a "whats up" head nod. He returned my head nod with a demonic smile. Stupid french. It was on now. Oh Yeah. See you on the battlefield Saturday morning. What do the French know about blowing anyway.

Saturday morning. 6:55 a.m. Garages opened. The gladiators took the field. We sized each other up. Jaws dropped when I turned to the side and they saw the Tanaka 65cc TBL-7800 strapped to my back. Thats right boys. Drink it in. I just brought a semi truck to a demolition derby full of Hyundais. We all spotted the new guy at the same time and smiled. He wore sunglasses instead of ski goggles. HA HA, hope he likes watery eyes.... amateur.

7:00 a.m. Let the battle begin. City ordinance says no blowers before 7. It was like the gates opening at the Kentucky derby. The action started quickly.
New Guy - The TBL-7800 blew the sunglasses clean off his head. As he ran away I blew one of his flip flops off also. Like I said, amateur... Don't come into the wolf den wearing deer antlers, idiot. I took the sunglasses as a trophy. The flip flop ended up on the roof. He can kiss that one goodbye.
Francis - The leaves were flying, hot air burned my skin. I sacked up and plowed forward. I knew he was limited by his extension cord. The end came quickly. He surrendered in less than 2 minutes. Imagine that, the French surrendering quickly. Who would have thought.
I stood in the middle of my leaf free yard like a King. My scepter was the Tanaka 65cc TBL-7800. They lined up to kiss my ring and acknowledge the blow king. All except the new guy. We may have put him in therapy for awhile.

The Tanaka TBL-7800 slayed them all that day. Hands down, the clear winner. I did get a little hot on the back. Wear a good shirt. I wore cut off jeans, tank top, knee high moccasins, and ski goggles. Wanted to look respectful when sporting the TBL-7800. No doubt I did it justice.

Thanks
Depends on what kind of climate you live in. All my battery powered tools are stored indoors, especially my snap-on tools, because money reasons… Dewalt tools have not failed me yet.

Odd. In seven years with my gas mower I’ve never had to touch the spark plug or carb. It starts on the first pull, every single time, even after sitting all winter (and no, I don’t do anything special to winterize or refuel or). I dump and fill the oil annually… and I haven’t found it terribly complicated or challenging to figure out the complexities of filling it with gas.

I haven’t had to replace a battery yet either… since it doesn’t have one.

Odd. In seven years with my gas mower I’ve never had to touch the spark plug or carb. It starts on the first pull, every single time, even after sitting all winter (and no, I don’t do anything special to winterize or refuel or). I dump and fill the oil annually… and I haven’t found it terribly complicated or challenging to figure out the complexities of filling it with gas.

I haven’t had to replace a battery yet either… since it doesn’t have one.
Yeah, I think some of the hassle of maintenance has to be embellished. I have a Toro self-propelled mower that my wife bought over 12 years ago prior to our marriage. That thing will start by the 2nd pull after a winter of sitting. I have changed the oil and air filter/spark plug maybe twice in that time, and it gets abused in the drainage ditches where I don't want to get the tractor stuck. Same goes for my Echo line trimmer, Echo backpack blower, and Power Washer (with HF Predator engine). I do more maintenance on my diesel Kubota garden tractor than anything, but that's mostly just greasing stuff, nothing to do with the engine.

Those same things apply to the battery-powered mowers, they're just heavy once you have a battery pack on them.
I had a lead acid battery mower - that was heavy. New one has a lithium battery. Not heavy.
(Old one ran over a "cute" iron thing hidden in high grass - shattered the magnet in the motor.)

Odd. In seven years with my gas mower I’ve never had to touch the spark plug o
I have a Toro self-propelled mower that my wife bought over 12 years ago prior to our marriag
'
I've had incredibly reliable gas mowers before too. And still do. But if you will notice in my post where I listed my EGO tools, I didn't list a mower.
And you may have also read that if I used these professionally, I would by a gas version. I recognize the benefits of gas powered equipment.

But the gas engines I have had in my smaller equipment (weed eaters, chain saws, edgers, hedge trimmers) all had smaller, more finicky engines.

But even with the gas mower, I still had to go buy cans of gas and quarts of oil. Refilling a tank when it runs out of gas is (just slightly) more effort than swapping batteries. The only oil I need to buy (and drain and dispose of) is chain lube for my chain saw (and that sort of "self-disposes")

And electric tools are quieter than gas. That is important to some people. In my city, you are not allowed to use gas equipment early in the morning. Here in Florida, I like to do my yard work early in the morning.

But if gas equipment works for you, then great. I really like my battery powered tools.

I've had incredibly reliable gas mowers before too. And still do. But if you will notice in my post where I listed my EGO tools, I didn't list a mower.
And you may have also read that if I used these professionally, I would by a gas version. I recognize the benefits of gas powered equipment.

But the gas engines I have had in my smaller equipment (weed eaters, chain saws, edgers, hedge trimmers) all had smaller, more finicky engines.

But even with the gas mower, I still had to go buy cans of gas and quarts of oil. Refilling a tank when it runs out of gas is (just slightly) more effort than swapping batteries. The only oil I need to buy (and drain and dispose of) is chain lube for my chain saw (and that sort of "self-disposes")

And electric tools are quieter than gas. That is important to some people. In my city, you are not allowed to use gas equipment early in the morning. Here in Florida, I like to do my yard work early in the morning.

But if gas equipment works for you, then great. I really like my battery powered tools.
In my prior posts, I've not said anything bad about the battery-powered stuff, other than it is heavier than the gas ICE equipment I've used. I have run lawn/landscape equipment in a commercial setting as well as in residential. They each have their pros/cons and use cases. I just haven't found any of my lawn equipment to be finnicky, personally. Everything from string trimmers to chainsaws starts up with minimal effort and only gets new filters/spark plugs (or oil changes) once every year or two at most. I get zero-ethanol fuel in a 5 gallon tank once a year, and use less half of that to use in a 2-stroke premix jug for the stuff that needs it. 5-gallon jug of diesel generally covers the mowing duties for the year, sometimes I have to fill it up a second time. Maybe others have a tougher time keeping small engines running, use ethanol-laced fuel, or buy cheaper stuff that doesn't last. I dunno. I certainly don't live in a city or state that tells me when I can mow or what I can use to mow with. My edger is an EGO battery powered model, my hedge trimmers are electric corded, as I use them once or twice a year at best.

My Ryobi Home Depot gas trimmer is maybe 20 years old. This is its 2nd or 3rd carb, the plastic engine housing is breaking off and it’s making a noise that’s making me think the mechanism where the cable attaches is about to come from together.

I do wear hearing protection when I use it.

I’m going to go battery powered next time, maybe next year. It will be the only battery yard tool I have so I don’t need to find something that’s compatible with another tool. My Toro mower is gas and my leaf blower (which I only use in the fall) is corded electric.

I’ll be looking for a good trimmer sale this fall. But I haven’t started brand shopping yet.

I had a lead acid battery mower - that was heavy. New one has a lithium battery. Not heavy.
(Old one ran over a "cute" iron thing hidden in high grass - shattered the magnet in the motor.)
I can only compare the two battery powered items I've held to gas equipment I have. I'm sure the battery size is what makes up most of the difference, which that can vary from product to product. It may be a bigger deal to people who have a lot of fence line or garden edging to trim around. An extra lb or two in weight gets fatiguing after swinging it around for 20 minutes, especially for older folks.

Stihl is the way.
Couldn't keep a gas weedeater going due to ethanol, off season, etc and was not going to wear my shoulders out trying to keep it running.
Got a battery blower soon after.
One battery bricked, but was replaced free under warranty by the local dealer.
Stihl may cost more, but the local support is worth it for sure.

Back