Eisenhower's Piloting Experience

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
I thought this was interesting. In his book, At Ease: Stories I Tell to Friends, Dwight Eisenhower wrote this summary of his piloting experience, in the chapter on his time with MacArthur:

In the beginning of 1936, we fixed up a field outside the city limits, selected a few students, and started a miniature air force. The students learned rapidly and I decided to take flying lessons, informally, from Captain Lewis and Lieutenant William Lee, the American instructors. Because I was learning to fly at the age of forty-six, my reflexes were slower than those of the younger men. Training me must have been a trial of patience for Lewis and Lee.*

Little more than thirty years had passed since Kitty Hawk. One had to react alertly to changes in sound or wind or temperature. The engines were good but the pilot who asked too much of one, in a steep climb, for example, learned that the roaring monster could retreat into silent surrender.

The seat of the pants was a surer guide to navigation than the few instruments and beacons we had. The pilot depended on his eyes, scanning terrain for landmarks, amd on his ears to tell him that all was well under the cowling. There was a compass to help, when mineral deposits didn't excite it into a dance. Other instruments were few and fairly primitive. Once the pilot left the ground, he was on his own, lord of all he surveyed or its victim. He was alone as he never could be in cities or towns.

To attract attention for a landing or a message, we buzzed a building until its occupants ran out. They never knew whether we were just visiting or in trouble. To communicate was a simple matter: you wrapped a message around a stone and dropped it as close as possible to them. We did have maps. One slight problem was that tropical landscapes, viewed from several thousand feet up, bore slight resemblance to the best map. In my examination for a pilot's license, on July 19, 1939, I wrote:

To locate position on map get into clear area where ground is visible. Seek prominent landmarks such as railways, rivers, main roads, cities, which may be readily located on map. If possible, fly low over a railroad station or other structure on which name of locality may appear.

If these means do not immediately help, then fly compass course toward a general area of known fair weather, and again seek landmarks, etc.

In other words, just keep flying until you run out of gas or your luck changes. But it was fun and at the end of the tour, I had 350 hours in my flight log.

After World War II, I had ceased to fly altogether, except that once in a while, on a long trip, to relieve my boredom (and demolish the pilot's), I would move into the co-pilot's seat and take over the controls. But as the jet age arrived, I realized that I had come out of a horse-and-buggy background, recognized my limitations, and kept to a seat in the back.

Last edited:
To locate position on map get into clear area where ground is visible. Seek prominent landmarks such as railways, rivers, main roads, cities, which may be readily located on map. If possible, fly low over a railroad station or other structure on which name of locality may appear.

You haven't truly been lost until you're circling the water tower. Haha. BTDT, once. I wasn't that far off of where I thought I was, but the tower was there, and I'd heard the old timers say it, so I circled.

If it hadn't have been painted with the name, the VOR was next. I just wanted to see for myself. Haha.

Nowadays towns don't seem as proud of their town names, and they're often painted flat beige or puke green-blue an no name on them. Boring. And much less useful to aviators.

You haven't truly been lost until you're circling the water tower. Haha. BTDT, once. I wasn't that far off of where I thought I was, but the tower was there, and I'd heard the old timers say it, so I circled.

If it hadn't have been painted with the name, the VOR was next. I just wanted to see for myself. Haha.

Nowadays towns don't seem as proud of their town names, and they're often painted flat beige or puke green-blue an no name on them. Boring. And much less useful to aviators.

My CFI tried to trip me up just after pulling off the hood when I was pre-solo. Searching for a landmark I lucked out and spotted a football field with a custom painted endzone.

That big M on the hillside in Golden is still there, right? The university behind Coors with the jackass mascot?

Every podunk crappy town in Nevada seems to have its initials on a hillside. Battle Mountain is appropriately labeled.

I thought this was interesting. In his book, At Ease: Stories I Tell to Friends, Dwight Eisenhower wrote this summary of his piloting experience, in the chapter on his time with MacArthur:

In the beginning of 1936, we fixed up a field outside the city limits, selected a few students, and started a miniature air force. The students learned rapidly and I decided to take flying lessons, informally, from Captain Lewis and Lieutenant William Lee, the American instructors. Because I was learning to fly at the age of forty-six, my reflexes were slower than those of the younger men. Training me must have been a trial of patience for Lewis and Lee.*

Little more than thirty years had passed since Kitty Hawk. One had to react alertly to changes in sound or wind or temperature. The engines were good but the pilot who asked too much of one, in a steep climb, for example, learned that the roaring monster could retreat into silent surrender.

The seat of the pants was a surer guide to navigation than the few instruments and beacons we had. The pilot depended on his eyes, scanning terrain for landmarks, amd on his ears to tell him that all was well under the cowling. There was a compass to help, when mineral deposits didn't excite it into a dance. Other instruments were few and fairly primitive. Once the pilot left the ground, he was on his own, lord of all he surveyed or its victim. He was alone as he never could be in cities or towns.

To attract attention for a landing or a message, we buzzed a building until its occupants ran out. They never knew whether we were just visiting or in trouble. To communicate was a simple matter: you wrapped a message around a stone and dropped it as close as possible to them. We did have maps. One slight problem was that tropical landscapes, viewed from several thousand feet up, bore slight resemblance to the best map. In my examination for a pilot's license, on July 19, 1939, I wrote:

If these means do not immediately help, then fly compass course toward a general area of known fair weather, and again seek landmarks, etc.
In other words, just keep flying until you run out of gas or your luck changes. But it was fun and at the end of the tour, I had 350 hours in my flight log.

After World War II, I had ceased to fly altogether, except that once in a while, on a long trip, to relieve my boredom (and demolish the pilot's), I would move into the co-pilot's seat and take over the controls. But as the jet age arrived, I realized that I had come out of a horse-and-buggy background, recognized my limitations, and kept to a seat in the back.

Dave

You haven't truly been lost until you're circling the water tower. Haha. BTDT, once. I wasn't that far off of where I thought I was, but the tower was there....
Twice here...opposite directions on the same solo cross country, same water tower. :D

That big M on the hillside in Golden is still there, right? The university behind Coors with the jackass mascot?

Every podunk crappy town in Nevada seems to have its initials on a hillside. Battle Mountain is appropriately labeled.

Yup. Colorado School of Mines. Tough engineering school.

One nephew was accepted but decided to go CU instead, his younger brother looks like he's probably headed for Mines.

Long long LONG ago I got a tour of their foundry. Yep. They have a foundry. The prof/tour guide was pouring molten metal into things and showing off interesting things about working with molten metal. It was so long ago, I don't even remember why we were invited up there, but I was real young at the time, so it felt very impressive.

We used to live on Mt Zion, which is one hump to the south of where the M is. The road up was literally in our backyard.

We'd see the freshmen from Mines hiking up Lookout Mtn Road with their whitewashing implements in hand, headed up to coat the rocks with whatever white substance is used. Paint or whatever. Not sure. Some sort of freahman ritual to have to hike up the mountain and pretty up the white rocks every year.

Buffalo Bill Cody's grave is supposedly up there on top of the mountain that is just west and south of the M also, complete with visitor center and what-not, but a few Wyoming historians say he's not really there. Shrug. Dunno. I've got no plans to go dig him up to find out. ;-)

It became a university a few years ago. Prior to that it was a single college. Now they actually have Deans and higher overhead.

And a burro is not a jackass....

I have three degrees from Mines.

It became a university a few years ago. Prior to that it was a single college. Now they actually have Deans and higher overhead.

And a burro is not a jackass....

I have three degrees from Mines.

Actually, a burro IS a jackass, if it is a male. A burro is an undersized donkey used as a pack animal. A jackass is a male donkey.

Are you claiming Blaster is a girl?

My wife got her undergrad degree from Mines.

If I remember my ancient history, a female burro is called a burra.

(useless history lesson for the day)

This is getting weird. One of my bosses is a Mines alumni also.

I'm surrounded by Miners! :)

A female donkey or ass is called a Jenny. Something an old girlfriend of mine did not like hearing from me.

This is getting weird. One of my bosses is a Mines alumni also.

I'm surrounded by Miners! :)
How can your boss be more than one alumnus? Is he a pair of conjoined twins?

I have two degrees from Uncle Charlie's Summer Camp (UCSC), but I'm still only one alumnus.

We have almost enough Miners for a rousing chorus of "Heigh Ho." With the verse, of course.

How can your boss be more than one alumnus? Is he a pair of conjoined twins?

I have two degrees from Uncle Charlie's Summer Camp (UCSC), but I'm still only one alumnus.

We have almost enough Miners for a rousing chorus of "Heigh Ho." With the verse, of course.

Ha. He might be. ;-)

He's lived two lives, kinda. Had some medical issues that came real close to killing him before I met him. The company hung with him and his teams ran themselves while he tried to participate from a hospital bed under heavy medication. I've heard those conference calls were pretty entertaining.

But before my time there.

I never paid any attention to the singular vs pluralization of alumnus before. The only time I ever see the word is that paper junk mail one of my wife's schools send constantly begging for money for whatever reason.

The school is helping keep my trash guy employed, I suspect. I'm thinking that's their reasoning anyway. Perhaps a micro-economics study to see how far away they can pay trash men to work from afar.

Can't imagine anyone sending actual money to them, they got plenty of that when she was there.

But it was Iowa and Iowa is a four letter word... ;-)

Actually, a burro IS a jackass, if it is a male. A burro is an undersized donkey used as a pack animal. A jackass is a male donkey.

After you graduate from Mines you can call it anything you want. Until then it is a burro to you. Got it now?

Are you claiming Blaster is a girl?

My wife got her undergrad degree from Mines.
From Eisenhower to jackasses: now THAT'S thread drift! :eek2:

I wonder if any of the presidents who have been pilots ever got any stick time in air force one.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I landed on a road in Connecticut so I could find out where the heck I was.
To say we were lost was the understatement of the century. On a hundred mile flight we were a hundred miles off course and in the wrong state.
The weather was getting worse and night was coming on so my partner in crime and I pulled the PA-18 we were flying off the road and hid it behind a billboard.
After camouflaging the plane with some bushes, we walked to not too distant diner/gas station, and made a couple of phone calls so everyone knew we were safe.
Not having much cash, the owner let us do some cleaning up around the place, fed us and let us "crash" in a booth overnight.
The next morning we mopped the floor, and the owner fed us breakfast.
Armed with a Sunoco road map, we walked back to the plane, hauled it back out onto the road and took off for home. Our parents none the wiser.
After all these years it still makes me grin from ear to ear just thinking about it.

Back