EFIS for $100

X3 Skier

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Geezer
Build your own EFIS for about $100.

Good for Experimentals or a backup.

Something I'm going to fiddle with just for fun.

Cheers

Wow. That looks pretty slick for the price point, and could certainly be handy to someone purely as a backup-backup.

Looks like roll-your-own Dynon D2 Pocket Panel. And at 1/10th the price.

Pretty neat.

I do wish FAA would get rid of the ridiculous red tape for aircraft avionics and a better manufacturing system for engines. No reason why a $100 computer should cost 20k in a plane and no reason why a 50 year old engine technology should cost 50k when CNC and fast computers can generate engines for less cost.

I do wish FAA would get rid of the ridiculous red tape for aircraft avionics and a better manufacturing system for engines. No reason why a $100 computer should cost 20k in a plane and no reason why a 50 year old engine technology should cost 50k when CNC and fast computers can generate engines for less cost.

But the children. Think of the children.

Jim

If its really possible the experimental/amateur crowd will come up with it. The reason a $100 computer costs $20K is because they had to put $19,900 worth of testing in it to make the FAA happy. The stuff put in Ex/Ab has no such requirement. That's why you see EFIS and autopilots that cost pennies on the dollar to the stuff they put in certificated airframes.

It is telling that no one has really come up with a replacement to GA engines, though.

It is telling that no one has really come up with a replacement to GA engines, though.

Lots of auto engine conversions flying in E/AB Light Sport aircraft.

Avionics doesn't require massive machining and assembly like engines, thus the capital required for a small market engine production facility makes it a lousy business case. However, you can also buy the the very same new engine in an experimental version as a certificated one for thousands less.

Cheers

Lots of auto engine conversions flying in E/AB Light Sport aircraft.

True, but with gear reduction systems and coolant systems which are all extra points of breakage. I think most of these try and talk advantage of the economies of scale that exist in auto manufacturing. But no one has come up with a new airplane engine made out of carbon fiber, or a new airplane engine that's so much better because it was designed on CAD. I guess that's what I was really referring to.

I guess these are the same reasons that the square back Chrysler alternator costs 400.00 for a plane and 40.00 dollars for a 72 New Yorker. That equates to 3 pieces of safety wire and an FAA sticker for 360.00

It is totally insane. Even more ridiculous that it will cost $6500ish to be ADSB compliant :(

Back