EDC what do you carry?

Colt 1911 Officers .45 or a POF AR15 that's SBR'd (12" barrel), depending on where I'm going.

You shoot somebody with that, and they ever find out about it, they'll get mad. :rofl:

It's just one of many. If I want to see daylight through the guy and kill everyone behind him, I'll break out the Security Six. ;)

The .25 is very compact and it fits for traveling very well is why I like it. Ammo is cheap enough, not that I feed it anything, but available and cheap(er). And the gun weighs nothing.

It's a ladies gun really. The one I have was my Sisters gun is how I ended up with it. It's for a handbag or a purse and meant to be a very very close range last resort weapon of coarse ... I just wanted to give it a shout out for being great to travel with .... o.k. I'm a girl ... :lol:

Wow, this is a cool little gun. Small caliber, but I guess you'd still have a hard time to find anybody who volunteers for being shot with it... :wink2:

f951c81542389bdd7ad1cab9fce1d9e9.jpg

baby-browning-003-589.jpg

I just learned that the older ones had a grip safety, while later versions came with a thump safety. Interesting.

That's correct. One had a grip safety and one just a thumb.

It's a distinct different pop than a .22 that's for sure. It's like a .22 magnum with a heavier bullet.

I wouldn't want to get shot with it.... the smaller caliber bullets also have a nasty habit of bouncing around in the head or off a bone ...

I'm still trying to decrypt EDC. I assume something pertaining to an emergency carry kit.

Mine's quite a bit different. The kit I keep in my truck includes a hammer, pliers, crescent, tape measure, electrical tape, zip ties, screwdriver and screws. I'm seldom more than 2 hours between meals and snacks so the granola bars are turned over pretty often.

I'm still trying to decrypt EDC. I assume something pertaining to an emergency carry kit.

Mine's quite a bit different. The kit I keep in my truck includes a hammer, pliers, crescent, tape measure, electrical tape, zip ties, screwdriver and screws. I'm seldom more than 2 hours between meals and snacks so the granola bars are turned over pretty often.

Every Day Carry, basically your emergency sack.

:lol:

I have a little Beretta 21a Bobcat chambered for .22 LR. I like it because it's a fun little gun with that flip up barrel. Of course, it would only make someone mad and is mostly useless as a self defense piece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_21A_Bobcat

I have a 21A myself. Pretty fun little gun.

BTW, my understanding is the Israeli Mossad used to use them for the small size and (relatively) low noise with downloaded ammo.

It's just one of many. If I want to see daylight through the guy and kill everyone behind him, I'll break out the Security Six. ;)

The .25 is very compact and it fits for traveling very well is why I like it. Ammo is cheap enough, not that I feed it anything, but available and cheap(er). And the gun weighs nothing.

It's a ladies gun really. The one I have was my Sisters gun is how I ended up with it. It's for a handbag or a purse and meant to be a very very close range last resort weapon of coarse ... I just wanted to give it a shout out for being great to travel with .... o.k. I'm a girl ... :lol:

I hear you, I was just razzing you. There's no perfect gun, just ones perfect for an individual's use.

As small as 9mm Parabellum pistols have become, I tend to use that as a minimum carry caliber, but there are definitely lighter options for an "I always have it" pistol.

http://sassbrassnbullets.com/

I work with one of these ladies, and you wouldn't talk like that around her!

Rock Island 1911 Officers model .45ACP, 3.5" barrel
Alien Gear 2.0 IWB tuckable holster

Rock Island 1911 Officers model .45ACP, 3.5" barrel
Alien Gear 2.0 IWB tuckable holster

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II that is a nice .45 3" , but I find my follow-on shots to be crap. 1st shot great, not so good after that.

Contrast that to my Springfield XD-9 sub 9mm 3", 1st shot great, and the rest are great too. My wife was at the range watching me shoot, and after seeing me shot both her comment was "I'd sure hate to be the bad guy the day you're carrying the 9."

Yeah, the .45 has more stopping power, but I feel more comfortable with the 9mm knowing I can nail the follow-on shots if needed.

I guess if I'm shooting .45 I prefer it to be a from a full size frame.

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II that is a nice .45 3" , but I find my follow-on shots to be crap. 1st shot great, not so good after that.

Contrast that to my Springfield XD-9 sub 9mm 3", 1st shot great, and the rest are great too. My wife was at the range watching me shoot, and after seeing me shot both her comment was "I'd sure hate to be the bad guy the day you're carrying the 9."

Yeah, the .45 has more stopping power, but I feel more comfortable with the 9mm knowing I can nail the follow-on shots if needed.

I guess if I'm shooting .45 I prefer it to be a from a full size frame.

I can hold my own in the bowling pin shoot with my compact 45 ... but if I have a grudge match with my buddy who shoots a CZ 9mm, I pull out the 1911 longslide ... and suffer the grief I get about "overcompensating for something" with the 6" slide.... :) oh yeah, I can beat him about half the time.

Last edited:

Not to completely derail the thread but 'stopping power' is a myth. Handgun bullets are terrible for shooting folks. Penetration is king in the handgun world. 45's due to their size and relatively slow velocity, have poor penetration as compared to 9 and 40. If you absolutely HAVE to shoot someone with a handgun, shoot em with a 10mm. They have probably the best overall performance in the handgun world. The only use for a handgun is to fight your way to a rifle.

he tried to get me to sample a free trial of the koolaide by "accidentally" leaving his range bag with a CZ-75 and a CZ-95(?) at my house. Called me up the next day and asked if I could bring it to the range for him ... and while you're there .... nice weapons but my hand has a permanent 1911 bend to it.

Not to completely derail the thread but 'stopping power' is a myth. Handgun bullets are terrible for shooting folks. Penetration is king in the handgun world. 45's due to their size and relatively slow velocity, have poor penetration as compared to 9 and 40. If you absolutely HAVE to shoot someone with a handgun, shoot em with a 10mm. They have probably the best overall performance in the handgun world. The only use for a handgun is to fight your way to a rifle.

What I've read of .45ACP defensive loads in a 3" barrel is some believe they don't achieve sufficient muzzle velocity (energy) to properly mushroom upon impact with the target. I don't know if this is true or BS, but I'm still pretty much in the "9 is fine" camp.

Don't be fooled, at typical self defense range, inside 25', a well placed .22 or .25 is completely lethal on a human. Most "hits" are done with a .22.

I totally agree with "stopping power"...if that's what you want, use a rifle.

But I'd say instead of penetration it's the capacity to bleed out a target quickly, or even better shut down its central nervous system that wins. Shot placement is king.

Don't be fooled, at typical self defense range, inside 25', a well placed .22 or .25 is completely lethal on a human. Most "hits" are done with a .22.

More people are killed by .22LR yearly than any other caliber. Where you hit determines outcomes much better than caliber. Or penis size, for that matter. :D

he tried to get me to sample a free trial of the koolaide by "accidentally" leaving his range bag with a CZ-75 and a CZ-95(?) at my house. Called me up the next day and asked if I could bring it to the range for him ... and while you're there .... nice weapons but my hand has a permanent 1911 bend to it.

It may have been a CZ-97B which is there .45 ACP. I like 1911's too!

Last edited:
It may have been a CZ-97 which is there .45 ACP. I like 1911's too!

yep - that's the one ... he thought since it said ".45 ACP" on it I would be all over that one like a fat kid on a donut. :) It did shoot nicely :)

a few excerpts of the training materials from the class I co-teach

NOTE: I am a .45 ACP shooter ... but only because it's what I grew up with, trained with, became proficient with and continue to train with. That said, I'm not an uninformed bigot. The BEST gun/caliber is one you can shoot well - one you are proficient with.

Kinetic Energy is ½ MV2 - Kinetic Energy is ½ the product of Mass times Velocity squared.
Translation: Velocity is waaay more important than mass (size) of bullet.

Why bigger bullets do NOT guarantee "one stop shots"

The following gel shots by Doug Carr show that when comparing good self-defense ammo from service caliber handgun loads, there are minimal differences in penetration depth and temporary cavity effects

Handgun_gel_comparison_service_calibers.jpg

Firearms trainer Greg Ellifritz has said, " No pistol works that well, and there is very little difference in real world “stopping power” between any of the calibers.
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/an-alternate-look-at-handgun-stopping-power

---------

Take a look at some of the videos from Liberty Civil Defense ammo for some VERY different and improved penetration and expansion tests of their new ammo ... it is now my choice for Personal Defense ammo

Last edited:
yep - that's the one ... he thought since it said ".45 ACP" on it I would be all over that one like a fat kid on a donut. :) It did shoot nicely :)

I have a 97B, and really like it. They are very accurate and soft shooting, but alas I HAVE drank the Koolaide. :)

Entry #2 on urbandictionary.com. My go-to source to decrypt my teen's Instagram. ;-)

Entry #2 on urbandictionary.com. My go-to source to decrypt my teen's Instagram. ;-)

I was kinda wondering and assumed "emergency", but all that as every day carry?:eek: Wallet, 3 keys, pack of smokes, lighter, iPhone. Holy crap who needs all that stuff for every day?:confused:

Yeah, that's a lot to carry. Colt DS, Streamlight Microstream, Gerber Mini Paraframe, iphone, wallet, keys, that covers most situations. Leatherman pocket tool is a good ratio of utility to weight/bulk.

Last edited:
If I'm flying I have a Smith & Wesson 500 magnum, a Petzl headlamp, a bottle of water, and a sat phone. The plane has survival gear and a medical kit on board but the day pack stays with me.

Benchmade 154CM auto knife, PLB, 2 MREs, water purification tablets, handheld radio.

I would be carrying an HK USP 9mm with me too, but I too lost it in a tragic boating accident.

Sounds like the OP is describing what most would consider more along the lines of what I would call a bug-out bag, but carried as EDC. I always conceived of EDC as implying what you carry on your person in a pocket or on a belt, stuff you literally carry around all day. I guess a well-stocked vest would still be EDC. To me, EDC most often connotes a firearm, a knife, and a flashlight, usually supplemented with a cell phone and maybe a multi-tool.
Some dispense with the flashlight in favor of the light on their phone, but quite powerful flashlights are now so compact and affordable, I like having one handy so the phone is free for other stuff.

Last edited:
What OP laid out was a GHB or get home bag.

Then there's the BOB or bug out bag.

Then there's the INCH bag aka the I'm Not Coming Home bag.:)

Thanks for the clarification! So he's EDCing his GHB?

Thanks for the clarification! So he's EDCing his GHB?

Right. By definition on the nut boards, he's carrying what he showed on his person every day.

If he comes back and wants to play, I think he meant his GHB that he carries in the plane or his car.

To be proper, my EDC is the kershaw and a smartphone and that's it mostly. My GHB has the .25 and my BOB at home has a SKS 7.62X39 tactical stock with red dot and green CREE flashlight on rails that would go with it.

I would probably give the SKS to my wife and grab the .220 Swift bolt action rifle with ND3 laser designator and bi-pod. It's my sniper/hog gun. Super long range with night capability. Or at 100 yards it would be candy head shots on zombies all day long from like on top of a mall or a building. :D

zombie-headshot-o.gif

Last edited:
Yep, Tex, that's all real respectable equipment. Kershaw, CREE, .25, SKS -- you got your bases covered. Always entertaining to try to find the happy medium between being prepared and traveling light. :)

Back