Economical x-country bird.

t30mg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
t30mg
I'm looking at buying a plane to cross the Rockies from WA to SD several times over the next few years. I've owned a Cardinal RG and Arrow 200 RG in the past but looking for something a little faster this time.

Definitely got a budget under $80k so looking at older Bonanzas, Vikings, and Mooneys.

Trip will be 1100 knotical miles one way and would like to only have 1 fuel stop if possible.

What would you recommend that would fit the bill?

I don't know what they sell for, but I've always been impressed with the fuel economy and speed of the LongEZ series of planes. Of course, you're not going to bring much with you, but you didn't specify a passenger or baggage requirement...

Not sure what Comanches go for in the U.S. right now but I've seen some for sale in the $100k (CAD) range up north which would be $80k (USD).

I don't know what they sell for, but I've always been impressed with the fuel economy and speed of the LongEZ series of planes. Of course, you're not going to bring much with you, but you didn't specify a passenger or baggage requirement...
Baggage needs are minimal but would be nice to have room for a passenger and 500lbs usefull after full fuel.
Might be asking for too much there..‍♂️

Have you considered a Cessna 195 Businessliner?
Not really. Do you think it fits the economical requirement?
I don't much about them but I thought any radial engine has high operating/maintenance costs.

he was being facetious OP.

-break break-

At any rate, you'll be mocked here soon enough for having "too low a budget for this club". That said, the trip can be done with the airplanes you've already owned (I've done said trip lengths in the Arrow myself, though I wouldn't want to do that frequently, 1100 miles is a long day in a lawnmower below 3 miles a minute). There's really nothing new to add. Faster generally means you'll have to pay more, in the factory-built/certified space. Personally I don't think the speed difference will be that significant for whatever premium on a "block time" basis, but people are gonna people.

Old timey mooneys (20C E maybe a clapped out F) and Vikings, which sell at a discount because of reasons I won't go into cuz it just gets the fanbois frothing at the mouth, could indeed be bargain for you. At any rate, those two are going to be your best bet for under 80k in this donkey-clown priced market. Normally I would also throw in the under powered BE-33s (debonairs, and I mean underpowered relative to 260-300hp stock/STC'd bonanzas of the -33 or -35 variety), but I don't know what the peanut gallery is asking for those things today, I'm sure it's too much relative to your budget.

Good luck!

Did they reconfigure the matrix? :p

Are these actually 80k?

you can get a real nice clapped out one needing some minor major repairs that you can get done for a small fortune. Excellence isn’t for everyone, and that fire belching shakey jake radial is worth every penny.

if you aren’t a red blooded, meat eating, alpha dog, pack leader, A-team, desperado, svelte Merican, then please disregard above suggestion to own a rip roaring Cezna 195. maybe you need something that rhymes with nanza or ooney,

You might find an RV-xx near that price, but probably a 2-seat model.
Or, perhaps an early-model strut 210, but likely to be bottom of the line with old avionics and near runout engine.

AOPA’s November cover story says you should buy a Staggerwing. It uses words like “practical” and “affordable” numerous times.

I think a Mooney is a good fit for your budget and mission. You probably won’t be able to find a turbocharged model without stretching a bit but you should consider it. As you know, the mountains can be crossed without a turbo, but having one would be handy to get higher over weather when needed.

To make a significant difference in travel time, the speed is going to need to be significantly faster than your previous airplanes were. The only things that will likely meet those goals and still be under $80k will likely be experimental.

If it were me and I was limiting myself to $80k I'd probably buy a Vans RV or a turbo Arrow with the high capacity fuel tanks and make up the time difference by going high and making fewer stops.

Plenty of 2 seat experimentals could economically do that trip on 1 fuel stop.

Mooney can do it with 1 stop, probably a 8-9 hour trip.
Stops cost time, so I would recommend a 1 stop capability is a requirement.

A Mooney with Monroy tanks would be close to doing it non-stop. They add 30 gallons (without speed brakes).

Figure on 145 - 150 knots at 10 GPH with a 201 or modded F. 201 is 64 gallons stock or 94 with Monroys.

My 252 does 175 knots at 10 GPH in the mid to upper teens, and with the Monroys, I have 104 gallons of fuel. 1100 non-stop is easy, peasy.

That panel is worth a LOT. Plus the 201 windows, 201 windsheild, Lopresti cowl, one piece fiberglas belly pan.

It is pretty much a 201 with glass panel.
201 windows is way too many, I don't care who you are.

But slightly more seriously, what I got from that ad is that people should spend a minute on the ad for every $1,000 they want. Take better pictures. Use the correct Garmin part numbers. Spell WAAS correctly. And maybe make mention of the IFR GPS in the panel somewhere in the ad.

A Mooney with Monroy tanks would be close to doing it non-stop. They add 30 gallons (without speed brakes).

Figure on 145 - 150 knots at 10 GPH with a 201 or modded F. 201 is 64 gallons stock or 94 with Monroys.

My 252 does 175 knots at 10 GPH in the mid to upper teens, and with the Monroys, I have 104 gallons of fuel. 1100 non-stop is easy, peasy.
But can the OP's bladder handle it?

..that was my thinking. 2.5 to 3 hrs, bladder or not, is about as long as I want to sit in a plane for any given stretch. Land, stretch your feet, check out a different FBO, then get back in the air.

That is fine when cruising at 3000 feet. But from 17,000, I don't want to do the descent and climb back up.

people should spend a minute on the ad for every $1,000 they want. Take better pictures. Use the correct Garmin part numbers. Spell WAAS correctly. And maybe make mention of the IFR GPS in the panel somewhere in the ad.

You have my vote for FAA emperor-for-life if you promise to enforce this

You have my vote for FAA emperor-for-life if you promise to enforce this
I've already dedicated my life to being the Grand Arbiter of Driving Licenses. If you want to drive, you will have to convince me that you deserve a license. The test will cover Literature (what does that long word on the red octagon mean?), Choreography (how do I know it's my turn to go at a four-way stop?--I already wrote the textbook for this course), and Geometry (what does it really mean to drive within the lane?) and the pass rate will be substantially lower than the current system.

But I don't mind if the driving license backlog gets worse while I enforce the new laws requiring you to invest in at least an iPhone 8 camera before you place an ad to sell a car or airplane that you think is worth more than the house I grew up in. :)

I liked the Mooney M20Js that I've flown. That's compared to my 172 Superhawk so take it with a grain of salt. But if I were getting a cross-country cruiser the M20J would be on my short list. Something like 140 to 150 knots at 10 gph, a simple reliable IO-360 engine, and fun to fly.

The only problem is, you're buying a plane born 40 years ago with all the deferred maintenance from its prior owners. Do a thorough pre-buy, scrutinize the logs and budget for the unexpected.

PS: nix that, I don't think the M20J is any faster than the Cardinal or Arrow that you mention. But then you ain't gonna find something faster at $80k.

I liked the Mooney M20Js that I've flown. That's compared to my 172 Superhawk so take it with a grain of salt. But if I were getting a cross-country cruiser the M20J would be on my short list. Something like 140 to 150 knots at 10 gph, a simple reliable IO-360 engine, and fun to fly.

The only problem is, you're buying a plane born 40 years ago with all the deferred maintenance from its prior owners. Do a thorough pre-buy, scrutinize the logs and budget for the unexpected.

PS: nix that, I don't think the M20J is any faster than the Cardinal or Arrow that you mention. But then you ain't gonna find something faster at $80k.
Even my M20C would out climb and out cruise a cardinal or arrow.

Back