Economical Time Builder?

I have a 150H (1968 model) that I have had for four years. I like it. I had a C-172 before this one, and the 150 is much more fun to fly. If you are serious about a 150/152, visit the Cessna 150-152 Club website and poke around a little. The 150 doesn't generate a lot of awe on the ramp, but it is, I think, one of the best all-around piston airplanes Cessna has ever built.

I have a 150H (1968 model) that I have had for four years. I like it. I had a C-172 before this one, and the 150 is much more fun to fly. If you are serious about a 150/152, visit the Cessna 150-152 Club website and poke around a little. The 150 doesn't generate a lot of awe on the ramp, but it is, I think, one of the best all-around piston airplanes Cessna has ever built.

+2 ...

+1 More!

Although I prefer the 150 over the 152, I agree that it is a great plane to fly. The only reason I have a 140 instead is because I will ultimately be flying out of my own grass strip.

Doc

+1 More!

Although I prefer the 150 over the 152, I agree that it is a great plane to fly. The only reason I have a 140 instead is because I will ultimately be flying out of my own grass strip.

Doc

A 150/150 TD, will go places a super cub won't.

I don't doubt that, but who can afford a TD? I just want to putt-putt in and out of my grass strip in my taildragger.

Doc

I notice that older IFR panel layouts rarely conform to the 6-pack layout of later panels:
stdsix_lab.png

For example, there is this layout on a '68 Mooney:

1968%20Mooney%20M-20C_04.jpg

Can those with IFR ratings provide some insight on whether there are any learning issues with buying a plane with "non-standard" panel layouts and first learning on that? Is it a big scanning re-learning hassle to move from one layout to another, or not a big deal?

File:Six_flight_instruments.JPG

For me, it hasn't been a big deal. But I never trained myself to a specific scan pattern either. I look at the instrument that's going to give me what I need to know, and the instrument(s) that confirm/deny it.

For me, it hasn't been a big deal. But I never trained myself to a specific scan pattern either. I look at the instrument that's going to give me what I need to know, and the instrument(s) that confirm/deny it.
I agree. I can't remember what kind of panel the airplane I did my IFR training in had but I know I flew a number of airplanes with non-standard panels after that. I would think that especially if it is your own airplane and the one you fly the most you would get used to the layout in front of you in short order.

i would do 172, but it burns more fuel and therefore is less economical.. same for the pa-28's..

Agreed. The key is instinctively knowing WHERE to look for the info you need. A standard gauge layout helps the transition between airplane types, but even that isn't 100% effective, as engine instruments, switch locations, temperature probes, flap and gear levers are all in different places in different airplanes.

Spend a few minutes on the ground becoming familiar with where things are, get some hood time in VMC flying instruments to lock in your scan technique, and you will be fine. If you own the airplane and always fly the same scattered non-standard panel, so much the better.

thank you tim - problem is i cannot afford $40K out of pocket and i am unable to get financing because i am not a us-citizen. any other ideas?

What is your US visa status? Have you already worked out how/through whom you will buy and register the plane? You may need a trust or US partner.

hey, no i haven't worked that out. i am a non-resident non-immigrant..

i am more concerned about the financing to be honest..

I notice that older IFR panel layouts rarely conform to the 6-pack layout of later panels:

Can those with IFR ratings provide some insight on whether there are any learning issues with buying a plane with "non-standard" panel layouts and first learning on that? Is it a big scanning re-learning hassle to move from one layout to another, or not a big deal?

There is also this panel out of a 1960 aircraft.

5837576766_de302c8ab2_z.jpg

I had a "shotgun" panel when I first had my Travelair and yeah, it's a PITA especially if you are not flying much IFR in it and are flying other "t scan" panels.

hey, no i haven't worked that out. i am a non-resident non-immigrant..

i am more concerned about the financing to be honest..

You have other issues to work out first before you can buy. If you have a buddy you trust and vice versa, you can buy it in their name, that's the easiest and least expensive way. You can also do some Trust system, I'm not sure what that costs, but I know it is commercially available. I have European clients who keep an N-register plane and did the deal in that fashion. I have also personally facilitated the purchase in a partnership arrangement. It's a completely above board transaction and allows for an easier transition into foreign registry when it comes time to take it home.

PM me if you want a bit more run down.

I had a "shotgun" panel when I first had my Travelair and yeah, it's a PITA especially if you are not flying much IFR in it and are flying other "t scan" panels.

Shotgun would be a good way to describe the panel layout in my 170.....it was done with more a sawed off shotgun....not a very tight pattern!

stdsix_lab.png

For example, there is this layout on a '68 Mooney:

1968%20Mooney%20M-20C_04.jpg

Yes, and I thought this was covered earlier in the thread, but maybe I was thinking of another thread.

I wanted a 140, but I want to do at least some of my IR training in it. I ended up with a 140 with a custom built panel, six pack and radio stack. The radios are old, but they should get the job done.

You are making a good point for the OP though. There are plenty of later 150's with a six pack, center stack configuration and since the plane is being purchased specifically for IFR training, this should be a must on his list.

I will try to post the picture of my Cessna 140 panel here. Most 140's don't even have an artifical horizon, but if so most of them are in the original arrangement.

Doc

Attachments

• C140Panel.jpg
    C140Panel.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 29
I guess this would be a great time to introduce you guys to my favorite ride, N6988S, is a 1968 Cessna 150 H.

A friend and I bought it from NAVY surplus in 1994, we paid $2777.77 for it on sealed bid, it came to us in 3 big wooden boxes, and we discovered that it was not much more than a empty shell of a 150.

we emptied the boxes and sold the Philippine Mahogany boards to the local boat builder supply shop for 8k.

and used that money to get started to restore the aircraft from the inside out, with all new instruments and gauges, radios are a single KY97, Transponder with Mode C. and a 2 place intercom, ELT is a 121.5/243 ACK using "D" cells.

the engine was but a set of cases, so we bought all new parts to build a 0-200, using early Superior cylinders, new carb, new slicks with harness, new alternator, oil pump, vac pump, and all new wiring. TSMO 550

The airframe got stripped, cleaned inside and out, etched and primed with self etching primer and painted with DuPont Imron red and white, new glass all around, new antennas, all new flight control bearings and attaching hardware.

Aircraft history is:

The NAVY bought it new in 68, and sent it to Adak Flying club, where they put 150 hours on it, then it was sent to the Cubi Point flying club where they landed it on the nose wheel and bent the engine mount, they then cannibalized it to keep the other 150 flying until they shut the base and it went to the Whidbey Island flying club where they sold it to us.

3775 TT both engine and airframe 550 since major by me total restoration in 1994 +- a year. I fly this aircraft regularly, it flys hands off straight and level. uses about 6 GPH and runs smooth as a 4 banger can.

send me a PM if you are interested.

I have a few hours in this bird before she got tipped in Nenana, AK. I loved the pull-starter and it handled EXCEPTIONALLY well.

Back