Eclipse gatherings?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
So, where is everyone heading to watch the eclipse? I am tentatively planning KTTA to KAND (Anderson, SC) or elsewhere in SC depending on cloud cover. To some extent it will be a game time decision.

Choice of KAND is based on it being in the middle of the path, plus the CAP Cadets there having a fund raiser and providing lunch. I could be convinced to head elsewhere.

To quote the guys from the Sunday Morning Breakfast Club - wherewegoing?

If the wx is nice enough to see it, I'm going to KMDH Southern Illinois Airport in Carbondale, IL. Says it's the point of the longest eclipse starting at 1:20pm.

For those of you flying, call your airport of choice and make sure you will be allowed to land. Many of the airports in the west have arrival slots already filled (KCYS) or RSVP ( and closed lists as of mid July) or will be NOTAMd closed for the 4 hours around the eclipse.

For those of you flying, call your airport of choice and make sure you will be allowed to land. Many of the airports in the west have arrival slots already filled (KCYS) or RSVP ( and closed lists as of mid July) or will be NOTAMd closed for the 4 hours around the eclipse.
Some of us are not even counting on being able to see it from the ground - so being allowed to land inside the path of totality would be icing on the cake, not a necessity.

Headed up to U56, Rigby Idaho, for the big event... hope to be the clear up there!..

I could possibly do Carbondale as well.

Local optometrists are giving away viewing glasses.

My optimistic side says I think that's great.
My darker side says they probably bought the cheap bogus ones to drum up business.

Here is an Eclipse gathering
101177961.png

Reconsidering Goreville, I'll. Got an email response from their website. They are a small village, expecting a huge crowd. Marion, Ill., may be a better choice.

Reconsidering Goreville, I'll. Got an email response from their website. They are a small village, expecting a huge crowd. Marion, Ill., may be a better choice.
MDH is right next to Marion. If you want to try there you have to go to their website and reserve a spot. I just did it. Haven't gotten the email confirmation of my spot yet.

MDH is right next to Marion. If you want to try there you have to go to their website and reserve a spot. I just did it. Haven't gotten the email confirmation of my spot yet.
Thanks. Marion is decent sized, a shopping center parking lot should work, but maybe I'm underestimating the crowds expected. Maybe every town in the path of totality is going to be like Woodstock.... A small church in Goreville is charging $50 to park there and a farmer on the edge of the village is charging $10 to park in a 40 acre field.

You can just fly to Marion (KMWA). You may want to check with Midwest (618-993-2764), but it will be easier than going to Carbondale and basically the same length of totality.

So, where is everyone heading to watch the eclipse? I am tentatively planning KTTA to KAND (Anderson, SC) or elsewhere in SC depending on cloud cover. To some extent it will be a game time decision.

Choice of KAND is based on it being in the middle of the path, plus the CAP Cadets there having a fund raiser and providing lunch. I could be convinced to head elsewhere.

To quote the guys from the Sunday Morning Breakfast Club - wherewegoing?
I was thinking of the Greenville area, just get there around 1:00, bring a lunch and wait for it, then head back to Atlanta. I don't think the airports will be crowded, but I better check it out!

Right now I'm thinking I will take @FastEddieB up on his offer... small grass airstrip with some camping available. Not sure if we will camp, but at least drive down for the day. Everywhere near my parent's house near the Smokies looks like it's gonna be a ****show.

Leaning toward KCUB, Columbia SC now...closer to home. Will depend on the weather.

EAA 242 is selling sold out of lunch and glasses. Waited too long.

Well, I'm going somewhere...

Last edited:
I'll be in Carbondale. I live there if anyone cares to meet up for a drink

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back