Anybody gonna fly your airplane to see the total eclipse of the Sun?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
With apologies to Carly Simon.

Leslie and I are flying to Columbia SC to (not) see the sun for a few minutes.

Thinking about heading down to Moncks Corner SC to do the same.

I was thinking of heading down charleston way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking of heading to somewhere in Nebraska. But it all depends on the weather forecasts, as the day gets closer.

I'm thinking of heading to somewhere in Nebraska. But it all depends on the weather forecasts, as the day gets closer.
Don't know about Nebraska, but my choices were limited due to most hotels being sold out. I considered camping, but Leslie thinks staying in a Residence Inn is camping out.

I don't want to make any reservations in advance because the chances of flying to an area that's socked in or just plain overcast on that day are too high. I'm thinking NE because it's the state along the path with the best chance of clear skies, but there is just no way to know at this point. If necessary I'll see the eclipse from the air.

Weather forecast for Nebraska in August: hot, breezey, slim chance of afternoon thunder showers

I'm sure that helped. For Wyoming amend the forecast to read: gentle afternoon 30 knot breezes.

Best viewing site in the region? I'm thinking Casper mountain. There's a dirt road up the west side of the mountain. Imma thinkin no tourists will find it...well at least not many.

I don't want to make any reservations in advance because the chances of flying to an area that's socked in or just plain overcast on that day are too high. I'm thinking NE because it's the state along the path with the best chance of clear skies, but there is just no way to know at this point.
One of the deciding factors in my making a reservation was that I could cancel up to three days in advance. If I waited, I don't suspect I would be able to get a suitable hotel.
If necessary I'll see the eclipse from the air.
That is a good backup plan. In fact, it was in the running for my primary viewing plan. But Leslie made reservations for a guided canoe trip to watch from a remote jungle like area. The animals are expected to act weird. I'm just hoping the alligators don't think it's feeding time. (Do they have alligators in S.C.)?

While we are on the topic and since I've never attended a total eclipse, are pagan rituals required? Perhaps sacrifice of virginity?

Why is it every time I see a thread like this I imagine a bunch of aircraft flying along trying to stay in the shadow?

Be careful out there.

Why is it every time I see a thread like this I imagine a bunch of aircraft flying along trying to stay in the shadow?

Be careful out there.
I thought about that, but . . .
***************************************************************************************************
Because of the geometry of the Earth’s shape, the shadow will travel faster across its surface and the ends of the eclipse path, and slowest right in the middle. By using one of the best eclipse calculators out there (thanks to Xavier Jubier!), we can see that the Moon’s shadow (also called the “Umbra”) is moving:

• 2955mph in Western Oregon
  • 1747mph in central Nebraska
  • 1462mph in Western Kentucky
  • 1502mph near Charleston SC
*********************************************************************************************************
Even my Bonanza can't quite keep up with that.

I'm thinking about it depending on weather and what my schedule looks like. I am in Indy so it wouldn't be too far away.

Last edited:
I live in the path of totality, but I'm on the coast so the weather could interfere. Flying was one possibility but I'd have to pick up a clearance probably with hundreds of other people trying to escape the clouds. Will have to decide once weather firms up. If the weather is nice I need to check to see if I can see it from my deck or if I need to walk down to the beach.

Fortunately for me, I'm right on the edge of the eclipse. I'm planning to take a short drive north to be closer to the center of the path.

My first thought was Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler.

As for me, I'll be hiding under my bed during the eclipse.....

My first thought was Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler.

As for me, I'll be hiding under my bed during the eclipse.....
The zombies come out after a comet, not an eclipse. Sheesh, this B movie stuff.

Indy-based, as well... Weather dependent, anywhere from Perrysville, MO, to Crossville, Tn. Our first choice is Springfield, TN M91.
NOTE: Hopkinsville, KY is charging a $150 landing fee for this. It seems to be where the media is concentrating.

Why Clark, are you scared? ;)
I would like to plan appropriately. I'm sure I can find something virgin if I have enough lead time and can import as required. And some pagan rituals are quite intricate. They may require rehearsal and acquisition of suitable props or costumes. This stuff shouldn't be taken lightly.

I'm thinking Knoxville or somewhere close in Tennessee to view it. Coming from southern Ohio

Meh. Did the total eclipse thing when I was a kid. I'll just stay put. Is that a curmudgeonly thing to say?

I'm thinking Knoxville or somewhere close in Tennessee to view it. Coming from southern Ohio
Yeah! I'll be taking a short drive towards Athens TN, about 40 minutes south of Knoxville.

A group of Colorado Pilots Association is going to Alliance, NE for the eclipse, lunch and return.

Last edited:
I work that day and I'm totally in the path of totality. I'm totally logging NVG time in the middle of the day as well.:)

One of the deciding factors in my making a reservation was that I could cancel up to three days in advance. If I waited, I don't suspect I would be able to get a suitable hotel.

That is a good backup plan. In fact, it was in the running for my primary viewing plan. But Leslie made reservations for a guided canoe trip to watch from a remote jungle like area. The animals are expected to act weird. I'm just hoping the alligators don't think it's feeding time. (Do they have alligators in S.C.)?

Yes - there be alligators here.

Parris Island, Hilton Head, Hunting Island. All heavily stocked with gators.

Oh, one can find them in the swamps around Columbia as well. In fact, there was one in the Columbia Canal a few years ago. As a teen, I saw one roadside near Camden. The Department of Wildlife had lasso'd it for removal. It was about eight feet long, IIRC.

Oh, one can find them in the swamps around Columbia as well. In fact, there was one in the Columbia Canal a few years ago. As a teen, I saw one roadside near Camden. The Department of Wildlife had lasso'd it for removal. It was about eight feet long, IIRC.

Oh, didn't know they went that far inland. Another place I saw a crapload was Cat Island Golf Course. They were everywhere there.

Back