Eclipse and night currency

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
The August eclipse path goes right over the runway in Jackson, WY. Since it will be dark for 2 minutes, does a landing at that time count as a night landing with all the associated currency requirements?

No. The regulation is based on sunset and sunrise (an hour later than the one and an hour earlier than the other are the cutoff times). The sun will be high in the sky when it goes dark due to the eclipse, so it doesn't count. You also don't have to turn on your position or anticollision lights, though, and that means I could take the J-3 (which has no electrical system) up in the dark that day.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, unless within the preceding 90 days that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, and—

(i) That person acted as sole manipulator of the flight controls; and

(ii) The required takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type (if a type rating is required).

Being dark has nothing to do with night currency.

The August eclipse path goes right over the runway in Jackson, WY. Since it will be dark for 2 minutes, does a landing at that time count as a night landing with all the associated currency requirements?

Obviously, you haven't read the reg.

Is it between an hour after sunset and an hour before sunrise?

What if the eclipse was actually an hour and two minutes??
Then we'd be in real trouble, since if the Moon was moving that slowly it wouldn't be in orbit. :eek:

(or it would be a lot further from the Earth, in which case it wouldn't be capable of causing a total solar eclipse anyway...)

Then we'd be in real trouble, since if the Moon was moving that slowly it wouldn't be in orbit. :eek:

(or it would be a lot further from the Earth, in which case it wouldn't be capable of causing a total solar eclipse anyway...)

What if it wasn't really the moon, and we're just finding out that some space aliens have been digging out it's core and making into a space ship.

More likely it would be moving too fast to stay in orbit since it would have to more closely match the rotation of the earth. Compare 24 hours to 28 days!

Who is the real man in the moon..???

andy-kaufman-as-latka.jpg

No. The regulation is based on sunset and sunrise (an hour later than the one and an hour earlier than the other are the cutoff times). The sun will be high in the sky when it goes dark due to the eclipse, so it doesn't count. You also don't have to turn on your position or anticollision lights, though, and that means I could take the J-3 (which has no electrical system) up in the dark that day.
Technically if installed the anti collision lights must be on unless the PIC thinks it's safer to turn them off.

Posted in the spirit of the thread, yes it's a joke.

Okay, I am starting a pool on how many pages of night-currency debate ridden with insults we will hit by July 4th.
I got $20 on 7 pages. ;)

Okay, I am starting a pool on how many pages of night-currency debate ridden with insults we will hit by July 4th.
I got $20 on 7 pages. ;)
That's stupid. It won't make it past 4. And yer mother dresses you funny.

More likely it would be moving too fast to stay in orbit since it would have to more closely match the rotation of the earth. Compare 24 hours to 28 days!
Uhhh... how do you figure? If the Moon matched the Earth's rotation then it would appear stationary against the sky, not the Sun. In that case it would actually be in a geostationary orbit, over 10 times closer than it is. But you're right, at its current distance, it would be moving too fast to stay in orbit.

To permanently eclipse the Sun it would have to match Earth's *orbit*, not its rotation. Not possible according to Kepler's 3rd law, since it would be 250,000 miles closer to the Sun than we are and thus in a slightly faster orbit around the Sun. (Of course, in that case it wouldn't be the Moon but a dwarf planet.)

To permanently eclipse the Sun it would have to match Earth's *orbit*, not its rotation. Not possible according to Kepler's 3rd law, since it would be 250,000 miles closer to the Sun than we are and thus in a slightly faster orbit around the Sun. (Of course, in that case it wouldn't be the Moon but a dwarf planet.)

That's called the L1 Lagrange Point, and it does exist. The Earth isn't negligible. However, it's about three times further away than the Moon's orbit, so the resulting eclipse would be annular. And it's metastable in the radial direction, so it wouldn't last long.

The SOHO satellite has been maintained at that point for many years.

That's called the L1 Lagrange Point, and it does exist. The Earth isn't negligible. However, it's about three times further away than the Moon's orbit, so the resulting eclipse would be annular. And it's metastable in the radial direction, so it wouldn't last long.

The SOHO satellite has been maintained at that point for many years.
Yeah you're right. I was considering only the Sun's gravity. There are indeed equilibrium points in the Earth-Sun system.

I need to not post while listening to NPR... too distracting.

I got $20 on 7 pages. ;)
I'll take a $100 on 1 as long the count stands when the thread gets shut down. Now what should I pick. Politics? Religion? Hmm, both, it's starting to get hard seperating the two.

Yeah you're right. I was considering only the Sun's gravity. There are indeed equilibrium points in the Earth-Sun system.

I need to not post while listening to NPR... too distracting.
I've found NPR to be amusing, but never distracting . . .

Of course you do not get night currency during an eclipse. What a ludicrous question.

But speaking of night currency, do I log it when I fly into that big hole at the North Pole? I mean it must be pretty dark in there.

Yes, at night landing could be counted at that time, just not at an airport where it is not night.

So, could a night landing be logged if the eclipse of the sun happened at night..?? :confused:

So, could a night landing be logged if the eclipse of the sun happened at night..?? :confused:

Sure thing. When an the eclipse crosses East Asia, it will be nighttime here in the lower 48. Just do your landings then, and you can log them.

Isn't the point of night currency that it is more difficult to land in the dark? If so, what difference does the "source of the darkness" have?

My question was not meant to be too serious.

Last edited:
I can do only a few things 3 times, while coming to a full stop, at night in under 2 minutes. Flying is not one of them.

What if it was flattened like a record so that it was really thin, but really wide.

What if it wasn't really the moon, and we're just finding out that some space aliens have been digging out it's core and making into a space ship.
Can't be. The Nazi's based on the far side of the moon would have attacked them by now if they tried something like that.

I got $20 on 7 pages. ;)
Ok. I'll PM you my address and you can send the check over.

Don't worry. With my luck, if you're anywhere near me - all you'll log is actual IMC...

It only counts if you have a metal E6B and an AOA indicator.

Back