eBay: Isn't this where you sell things?

Sam D

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Sam D
I'm beginning to think eBay is just an illusion. Here's the story:

Daughter has been saving up for a while for a camera. In order to put her over the top, she's interested in selling her American Girl doll on eBay. "No problem" I say. "We'll just list it on eBay."
Attempt #!:
So, we create an account and list the thing. A couple of days later, bidding is happening and we're excited. Then, eBay suspends the listing because something is missing on our account. (Something like me not putting in my last name when registering -- which took them a while to decide wasn't kosher) OK, fix the registration stuff and start over, I guess.
Attempt #2:
Listing stays up this time (yay). And bidding occurs and a buyer wins the auction. Buyer pretty much immediately sends a note "can you get it to me by my daughter's birthday?" "No problem" say I "just pay for it and I'll pop it in the mail immediately". No response. After a few days, get an email from buyer "gosh, somebody else put this bid in for me". Whatever...List it again.
Attempt #3:
Auction ends last week. Send invoice to buyer...nothing. Send note to buyer "congratulations on winning the auction. as soon as you make payment, we'll pop it in the mail"...still a week and nothing.

Is there something very basic that I am doing wrong? (Other than expecting that this service actually works?)

Not sure what happened, but I've been suuceesfully buying and selling stuff on eBay for I think more than a decade..

Yes, there are both buyers and sellers who don't follow through. But my experience with that has been exceedingly rare. Once or twice maybe.

I have only sold things on ebay a few times... it's a been a while now. I never had any serious problems

The big thing for me is most stuff I'd want to let go of isn't worth the effort of listing and driving somewhere to get it shipped.

At least for me, it's gotten much worse recently. I've re-sold a couple of items at least 5 times each, and every time, it's some BS from the buyer. They request a return before it ever ships, or request a cancellation, or just never pay. And they have you over a barrel, what are you supposed to do? If you force the issue, keep their money and ship the item, they will no doubt claim it was broken or 'not as described' when they get it, and you WILL lose the case with eBay.

The service works, but there are far too many "regretful buyers" who realize after they've won the auction that it was a mistake. Others just get a kick out of the auction then disappear. After they've done this a few times, eBay catches on (or you as the seller send negative response) and they get kicked off.

I was one of those regretful buyers a few years ago. I won the auction, and shortly after my employer laid off almost everyone. I sent an email to the seller, explained the problem. They were very understanding, and re-listed the item. Fortunately they were local and knew what happened with my employer.

Is there something very basic that I am doing wrong? (Other than expecting that this service actually works?)
Yes. You are dealing with general public. Big mistake. :D

Well, kinda half serious.
I was on the other side of the fleaBay scam. I bid on an item. Seller has 2000+ positive feedback. Not bad.
Auction is canceled without any reason whatsoever. Item relisted immediately in another auction.
Emails to the seller yield no response.
Winning the relisted item has identical outcome.
I have a 100+ 100% positive feedback on fleaBay.
I noticed that the seller has a few negative points on his feedback. Oh wouldn't you know it, same item cancelled right after it was won. Numerous times. Always a prompt refund but no item sale nonetheless. Money laundering?
Isn't there a rule that a seller must honor the win and must sell once they receive the payment?
Meh, fleaBay went to sh*t around 2005 and has not bounced back yet. I don't know which one is actually worse, fleaBay or craigsS*it? Maybe 50/50? :)

Yes. You are dealing with general public. Big mistake. :D

Well, kinda half serious.
I was on the other side of the fleaBay scam. I bid on an item. Seller has 2000+ positive feedback. Not bad.
Auction is canceled without any reason whatsoever. Item relisted immediately in another auction.
Emails to the seller yield no response.
Winning the relisted item has identical outcome.
I have a 100+ 100% positive feedback on fleaBay.
I noticed that the seller has a few negative points on his feedback. Oh wouldn't you know it, same item cancelled right after it was won. Numerous times. Always a prompt refund but no item sale nonetheless. Money laundering?
Isn't there a rule that a seller must honor the win and must sell once they receive the payment?
Meh, fleaBay went to sh*t around 2005 and has not bounced back yet. I don't know which one is actually worse, fleaBay or craigsS*it? Maybe 50/50? :)

Are you talking about www.Fleabay.net or www.eBay.com? There is a difference.

Never heard of craigsit.

People are flaky as heck. I've worked retail for years and no exaggeration 90% of stuff people ask us to hold or call us saying hold it i'll be down there after work etc they never show up. Even stuff people pay for gets lefts maybe 50% of the time. Someone just payed for a pallet of deer feed said they'd pick it up next day 3 weeks later still in the back theres about 3 trampolines a few grills and bunch assorted items sitting around with receipts hogging up space. Selling my motorcycle on craigslist had 5-6 people call say yeah i really want it i'll be there after work no one ever showed.

I was wondering about the type of people who would buy a used doll on eBay instead of simply going to a store, and if that might be part of the problem. How much cheaper could it be? Then I went to the American Girl doll site. Wow, $60 for a doll...

Used to sell things on eBay fairly often and most were positive experiences. Seems like the fad has died down and Amazon is the next greatest thing. Seems more reliable too.

You'll get those people who have second thoughts or end up not being a serious buyer. Sucks because they should give you the option to ask the runner up bidder if they want the item, but instead you have to relist and it ends up causing the seller more money. After awhile it becomes a pain in the neck having to coordinate with the buyer and then get it to the post office. Haven't touched it in years.

Used to sell things on eBay fairly often and most were positive experiences. Seems like the fad has died down and Amazon is the next greatest thing. Seems more reliable too.

Amazon "Marketplace" is sliding into the sleaziness of eBay. Have to watch it on certain products.

Used to do quite a bit on eBay when it was more seller friendly and it was more auction centered versus buy it now pricing. But have quit when the fees kept rising and the environment changed and buyers could make claims against a legit seller for a silly reason and eBay would quickly side with seller before I had any chance to resolve.

I will toss this out there... if someone in the DFW area wanted to start an eBay business, I have a massive number of items that I would be willing to make you one awesome deal on so if you are willing to take on the project, you could do pretty good. And I could continue to keep you supplied in the part types that work for you.

I was wondering about the type of people who would buy a used doll on eBay instead of simply going to a store, and if that might be part of the problem. How much cheaper could it be? Then I went to the American Girl doll site. Wow, $60 for a doll...

I REALLY think you need one. In fact, Sofia would be willing to part with hers for $50! :)

I got bend over by a buyer who clearly was a scammer after the fact. Once bitten twice shy.

I had so much evidence he was scamming even a 5 year old could figure it out. EBay and PayPal did not care. I left negative feedback and they removed it!!!

That was 2007ish and never been back. F that place! Never again. Ever.

People are flaky as heck. I've worked retail for years and no exaggeration 90% of stuff people ask us to hold or call us saying hold it i'll be down there after work etc they never show up. Even stuff people pay for gets lefts maybe 50% of the time. Someone just payed for a pallet of deer feed said they'd pick it up next day 3 weeks later still in the back theres about 3 trampolines a few grills and bunch assorted items sitting around with receipts hogging up space. Selling my motorcycle on craigslist had 5-6 people call say yeah i really want it i'll be there after work no one ever showed.

I know. A few years ago I tried to give away a 50" Plasma TV and a treadmill on Craiglist for free. Both were in perfectly fine condition and worth over $500 each.

My only 2 requirements were:
a) The person taking it has to choose a time to pick it up (any time), and actually show up on the time that they chose - within 15 minutes.
b) The person taking it has to bring someone else to help them carry it.

Couldn't do it. I ran the ad multiple times, and many people were interested, then didn't show up, or tried showing up 2 hours late when I was back at work, or showed up alone and expected me to help them. This is free stuff for 2 easy conditions! Nope.

I gave up and just stored it. Years later I listed my house for sale while I was thousands of miles away, and the real estate agent managed to get rid of it (or maybe just left it for the new owners - who knows).

That was the end of Craigslist for me. Now I just take stuff to Goodwill, which is a PITA but not as much as going home 4 or 5 times and waiting for people who never show up.

I've been selling on Ebay since 1993. It's gone completely in the toilet between the idiocy of the buyers and the egregious policies put in place a few years back by Ebay/Paypal, it's no longer a place for the guy selling his occasional stuff.

I definitely notice that ebay has gotten worse. I no longer will use it as a seller. There is no penalty or punishment for anything a buyer does. If they don't pay it's barely a slap on the wrist and the seller is left having to spend the time to relist it and potentially getting a lower price. The flaky buyers need to be held accountable and they just aren't.

I've had bad luck (2 out of the last 3 failed) both buying and selling. It didn't used to be this way. You can setup preferences on your account that require bidders to have a certain level of feedback or no negative marks. If you have a general idea of what the doll will sell for (based on your failed auctions) just sell it as a Buy it Now at or just below that price, and check the box that requires immediate payment.

Are you talking about www.Fleabay.net or www.eBay.com? There is a difference.

Never heard of craigsit.

There is actually a fleaBay webpage? Wow, never knew. Thanks for pointing it out.
We use "fleaBay" as a pet name or the scammer world called "eBay", as you probably figured out. So far everybody smiles when they hear that name. I think most agree.

Btw, fleaBay got greedy and raised their commission to full 10% a few years ago. Which I did not know until I sold something expensive (aviation related) and got raped by greedy Californians. You live, you learn.

It's gone completely in the toilet between the idiocy of the buyers and the egregious policies put in place a few years back by Ebay/Paypal, it's no longer a place for the guy selling his occasional stuff.
Agree with this. When I started about the same time, it was a good spot to make some money on garage and closet cleaning. And occasionally find a unique collectible for a good deal. Not any more.

Back