eBay Airplanes

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
Who buys airplanes on eBay? Only those semi-local so they can have the plane inspected before? The gamblers?

There is no gamble.

Read the terms and conditions on eBay motors. Winning bidders can walk away from the deal.

eBay is just another place to advertise airplanes for sale. Some/few actually produce in house sales.

I own two both of which I bought on E Bay. I'm pleased to own them over 5 years now.
Do your home work. Must be in annual. Know your airplane for its quirks ,know what to inspect. Can do most of the discussion over the phone. Log books are overrated unless you need to sell it, check the FAA records for recorded liens.
What are you looking for?

Last edited:
There are crap-tons of places to find airplanes for sale. Almost all of the airplanes I would see in ads were also on Trade-a-Plane. I tried Barnstormer, ASO, and others but TAP always had the greatest number of listings.

Ebay and Craigslist are just another medium like Trade-A-Plane or Controller or the bulletin board at your airport. However, the process you need to go through before you complete the purchase is the same including determining value, checking liens, logbook review and pre-buy inspection.

Speaking of Craigslist - how do you search it for planes? I tried it, but decided that it is a major PITA.

I bought my Six on ebay.....no different than anywhere else. Buyer be aware.

Speaking of Craigslist - how do you search it for planes? I tried it, but decided that it is a major PITA.

Google:

Piper Cherokee 180 site:Craigslist.org

Cut and paste the above line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold my airplane on ebay. Single seat, experimental, extremely cheap, tend to sell on there better than any other airplane.

Haven't bought an airplane but I've bought things as expensive (classic wooden boat and a 6' 7" grand piano). You need to know what you are doing.

IS craigslist trying to tell me something? I looked up airplane and got this mixed into the list :wink2:

Jul 21 MetalMfg 30x48x10 steel building metal many sizes $7843 (Rogers) pic map [x]

Jul 18 Sunset Memorial Park, Burial Crypt $7500 (St Anthony (n.e. Mpls)) pic map [x]

Aug 16 Airplane,Volks Plane II $7500 (Crystal) pic map [x]

Who buys airplanes on eBay? Only those semi-local so they can have the plane inspected before? The gamblers?
Probably depends a little on the seller, but generally it works similar to any other airplane sale.

You bid based on what you think the airplane is worth (hopefully the airplane is accurately advertised).

If you are the winning bid, then you make arrangements with the seller to have the airplane inspected and you negotiate any issues found in said inspection.

Now, often no one bids or bidders are tire kickers and the deal falls through and you contact the seller like you would an add on T-A-P or Barnstormers and work a deal.

I bought my first airplane on Ebay at age 19. Was a Cessna 150 with 9,600TT but was completely re-stored which is why I bought it. No pre-buy, didn't know any better. Bought it as is, airlined 2,500 miles to California, and flew it home. Looking back I got extremely lucky on that airplane. No major problems, always got compliments on it. Wouldn't do it again, but I'm happy that I got as lucky as I did

I've seen some pretty good deals show up on Craigslist, but searching the site for one can be tricky. For one thing, you have to search each region separately, and if the seller isn't smart about their description, you still may not find it. Not too long ago I saw a Cessna 182 for sale, but the seller did not include the word "airplane" in the description. I only found it by searching "Cessna".

I've seen some pretty good deals show up on Craigslist, but searching the site for one can be tricky. For one thing, you have to search each region separately, and if the seller isn't smart about their description, you still may not find it. Not too long ago I saw a Cessna 182 for sale, but the seller did not include the word "airplane" in the description. I only found it by searching "Cessna".

Search:

Cessna 182 site:craigslist.org

And

C182 site:craigslist.org

And, you likely will have 99% of the Cessna 182s listed on Craigslist in the country.

To further explain the above, with google when you do "site:" and then enter a website, it will search not only the top website, but all sub-pages as well.

In the case of craigslist, that means every state/city. You can do this with any site that you need to search quickly.

I used to do this for guitars.

Got the engine for my homebuilt there! Great deal, no issues (so far), but it was a reputable dealer that does nothing but aviation. He had great feedback. Engine (Lycoming) runs like a top! :D

Search:

Cessna 182 site:craigslist.org

And

C182 site:craigslist.org

And, you likely will have 99% of the Cessna 182s listed on Craigslist in the country.

Did the second one... And want to give you a hard time about the results....

Didn't realize Kodak and Cessna collaborated

Attachments

• C182 Search.JPG
    C182 Search.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 15
Back