Easy DPE

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
DPE that pass on pilots work both ends of the system. If they fail too many applicants CFI will not send any more to them. Word gets around Flight schools and CFI about DPE that fail too many. On the other hand pass too many with a low failure rate will get the attention of the FAA. Always wondered about my pass rate being as high as it was, due to my superb instructor ability or the fact that I was part of a large Flight School that sent lots of applicants to the same DPE.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
DPE that pass on pilots work both ends of the system. If they fail too many applicants CFI will not send any more to them. Word gets around Flight schools and CFI about DPE that fail too many. On the other hand pass too many with a low failure rate will get the attention of the FISDO. Always wondered about my pass rate being as high as it was, due to my superb instructor ability or the fact that I was part of a large Flight School that sent lots of applicants to the same DPE.:rolleyes:

You can renew your CFI with a pass rate of 80%. Reportedly, the FAA wants DPEs to fail 10%. That way everyone stays happy.

DPE that pass on pilots work both ends of the system. If they fail too many applicants CFI will not send any more to them. Word gets around Flight schools and CFI about DPE that fail too many. On the other hand pass too many with a low failure rate will get the attention of the FAA. Always wondered about my pass rate being as high as it was, due to my superb instructor ability or the fact that I was part of a large Flight School that sent lots of applicants to the same DPE.:rolleyes:

Perform to PTS = Pass do not = Fail. Next question

You can renew your CFI with a pass rate of 80%. Reportedly, the FAA wants DPEs to fail 10%. That way everyone stays happy.
But who's 10% the large Flight School or the independent CFI. It has to be on the DPE, Some calls are subjective at best and could go either way.

I too like to don the foil hat, How about that Area 51 spooky stuff am I right or am I right!

But who's 10% the large Flight School or the independent CFI. It has to be on the DPE, Some calls are subjective at best and could go either way.

I heard they play the shirt game, If they guess the color of the shirt you are wearing to the test the night before they win you lose.

I was told on Tiesday that there's a gouge somewhere on the Internet for my oral exam...time to change it up, I guess. ;)

There are plenty of things left to the DPE's discretion that allow the difficulty of the checkride to be adjusted without flagrantly ignoring the PTS. Sometimes DPEs mix things up for totally legitimate reasons, but certainly a few have used that discretion to play games to keep certain people happy. It is not unheard of for a DPE to loose his status or have it reviewed. In a few cases pilots with certificates issued by that DPE had to be reexamined.

Just as with anything else, most folks are ethical, a few are not. And sometimes it can be very hard to tell. A simple pass/fail ratio isn't going to be a good indication.

And don't forget to count the percentage of applicants that just plain freeze on a maneuver during the test. I've had that happen and I'm sure other CFI's have too. They know the maneuver but for some reason they blank out. Usually happens on the instrument ride more often than other rides. Blows an altitude, turns the wrong way on a PT, lets the needles drift too much, etc. That's all the DPE needs to fill his quota.

I have heard of flaky DPEs like that, but I haven't come across one. Pretty much they make a fair evaluation of your skills and determine if they feel you are safe to hold the rating or not.

When I passed my PP-ME with Betty Faux, (former WASP with some awesome planes in her log) I asked her how she determined whether to pass someone? Her reply, "I ask myself if I would be okay sticking my daughter in a plane with them." I thought that was a reasonable standard.

i had it explained to me this way by a dpe friend. on a PPL if I don't drop my newspaper and scream in horror you pass, on an instrument ride, If I don't have to put my paper down you pass, on a commercial ride, if i don't have to look up from my paper you pass and on a ATP i had better not get a ripple in my coffee!

bob

Our school used the same two DPEs for several years. They are both fair and well balanced on their pass/fail decisions. If you ended up not passing you did something to deserve it.

I have had the same DPE for three of my rides. Each time it was a fair assessment of my skills. If he thinks your doing well he will throw in extra non-jeopardy stuff just to test ya. I send all my students to him for the fact that I respect him as a DPE.

Sadly I got the news that he is fully retiring as a DPE, at the end of the year. I figure it's to enjoy more, well earned, motorcycle riding with his wife.

i had it explained to me this way by a dpe friend. on a PPL if I don't drop my newspaper and scream in horror you pass, on an instrument ride, If I don't have to put my paper down you pass, on a commercial ride, if i don't have to look up from my paper you pass and on a ATP i had better not get a ripple in my coffee!

bob

On my final ATP line check, the dude told me the final decision was on the passengers and flight attendant. I looked at him and said, "you wouldn't dare"..... Well lets just say every passenger voted Yay or Nay as they got off. :eek: :rofl:

I'd loved flying with that Captain.

On my final ATP line check, the dude told me the final decision was on the passengers and flight attendant. I looked at him and said, "you wouldn't dare"..... Well lets just say every passenger voted Yay or Nay as they got off. :eek: :rofl:

I'd loved flying with that Captain.
What'd the final tally look like? I'd have asked for a flight deck tour as motivation ;-)

What'd the final tally look like? I'd have asked for a flight deck tour as motivation ;-)

Mostly Yays. I had a few Nays but those were from people who were being funny. The captain asked the passengers to rate my landing with a yay or nay.

I was standing there trying not to laugh.

Last edited:
I think an instructor's reputation with the DPE helps a lot, whether the DPE intends it or not.

When I completed my PP check ride, the DPE (great guy, natural pilot, loved to instruct a little in the process) said "That Ted Lee always sends me well-prepared candidates." Could not have hurt.

Of course, there was that one guy who had to argue with the DPE on how to do a short & soft during the practical (and trust me, the DPE knew); when the DPE threw him a bone and said, "...just show me one my way," and the guy refused, DPE said, "...fair enough, we're done, take me back to Addison."

That DPE has retired, sadly enough. Good guy.

Of course, there was that one guy who had to argue with the DPE on how to do a short & soft during the practical (and trust me, the DPE knew); when the DPE threw him a bone and said, "...just show me one my way," and the guy refused, DPE said, "...fair enough, we're done, take me back to Addison."

I had a student do something like that to me during his 141 test. I told him to either fly us back home or I would. After a good tongue lashing by his CFI and the Chief, he quietly walked over and apologized.

Back