Eastern PA/Northwestern NJ GA

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
Recently got a CJO from a Legacy airline, and I'll most likely end up being based in EWR. Debating moving to within driving distance of there, and eastern PA and NW NJ seem like good options. Just wondering what its like as far as hangar availability, decent mx shops, etc. Looks like there are a lot of airports to choose from, which is nice.

Congratulations! I guess you've ruled out commuting to your base via an empty jump seat.

Congratulations! I guess you've ruled out commuting to your base via an empty jump seat.

Sounds like it to me as well and my first thought was “that’s smart.”

I'm going to give it a year to see how it goes. I am coming from a strictly 91/135 background so I have no idea what it is like commuting, good bad or otherwise. Its a one leg commute from BOS, so its not going to be too much of a ball buster but QOL will still be better a hour drive from home base.

If you’re at that place with positive space commuting until October it will be no problem. If you have to commute without a positive seat the stress level goes up.

I only have ~7 years of commuting and I hated it. But I am a guy that really feels like a screw up if I’m not in position for a trip because of something in my control. If you really don’t care about making the sign in stress levels go down. What’s at home makes a difference as well. Commuting will eat into time at home no matter how easy the commute. So basically it all depends and nothing I said matters. It may or may not be a big deal to you.

Sorry I don’t have info on places for the airplane.

Oh and congratulations.

If you’re at that place with positive space commuting until October it will be no problem. If you have to commute without a positive seat the stress level goes up.

I only have ~7 years of commuting and I hated it. But I am a guy that really feels like a screw up if I’m not in position for a trip because of something in my control. If you really don’t care about making the sign in stress levels go down. What’s at home makes a difference as well. Commuting will eat into time at home no matter how easy the commute. So basically it all depends and nothing I said matters. It may or may not be a big deal to you.

Sorry I don’t have info on places for the airplane.

Oh and congratulations.

It is not at the place that has positive space right now. Jealous of that perk that you guys have, maybe it will be permanent, and other carriers follow suit.....prob wishful thinking on my part.

No kids at home, just a wife and she's very tolerant of schedule changes. Its been part of her life for 10+ years now. Sounds like I may very well have a line before I even finish training, so that will make life a little easier. It's also a 4.5 hour drive from home, worse case scenario.

I see you’re from NH? Do you want to stay based at EWR? You could bid out at some point if desired.

Some say away from Newark, living in NJ isn’t bad? If it was me, I’d try to get across the PA state line.

It is not at the place that has positive space right now. Jealous of that perk that you guys have, maybe it will be permanent, and other carriers follow suit.....prob wishful thinking on my part.

No kids at home, just a wife and she's very tolerant of schedule changes. Its been part of her life for 10+ years now. Sounds like I may very well have a line before I even finish training, so that will make life a little easier. It's also a 4.5 hour drive from home, worse case scenario.
I don’t work there either. Although I am doing the new hire thing at another legacy… this is my fifth and hopefully last set of 121 wings.

I see you’re from NH? Do you want to stay based at EWR? You could bid out at some point if desired.

Some say away from Newark, living in NJ isn’t bad? If it was me, I’d try to get across the PA state line.

EWR is the closest base to me, so yeah I don't see myself changing. Also my entire family is in the NE, so I'd like to stay somewhat close. Leaning towards PA as well, but that is a decision for down the road.

I don’t work there either. Although I am doing the new hire thing at another legacy… this is my fifth and hopefully last set of 121 wings.

We could very possibly be at the same one.

Last edited:
EWR is the closest base to me, so yeah I don't see myself changing. Also my entire family is in the NE, so I'd like to stay somewhat close. Leaning towards PA as well, but that is a decision for down the road.

We could very possibly be at the same one. Did you go to TK to interview?
PM sent. Don’t want to derail your airport thread

Princeton is a nice area and an easy train ride to EWR. The airport has a flight school & good A&P (they did my avionics upgrade). I’ve also heard good things about the A&P at Old Bridge, but don’t have first hand experience with the town or airport. On the PA side, I just read that Stroudsburg-Pocono is being shut down and turned into a 3d printing plant.

Princeton is a nice area and an easy train ride to EWR. The airport has a flight school & good A&P (they did my avionics upgrade). I’ve also heard good things about the A&P at Old Bridge, but don’t have first hand experience with the town or airport. On the PA side, I just read that Stroudsburg-Pocono is being shut down and turned into a 3d printing plant.

OK, thanks for the info!

Congrats @Groundpounder !! Hope you enjoy it.

Thank you sir! I am sure I will talk to you going to/from ORD at some point.

Recently got a CJO from a Legacy airline, and I'll most likely end up being based in EWR. Debating moving to within driving distance of there, and eastern PA and NW NJ seem like good options. Just wondering what its like as far as hangar availability, decent mx shops, etc. Looks like there are a lot of airports to choose from, which is nice.

Sky manor (my home). Has a good community. It took about 4 months to get a hangar but there are some people that sublet while you wait (organized by the airport itself)

Solberg has a community hangar that has some space, last I check.

Somerset airport says they have a 6 year wait for a hangar.

I live in NEPA. Great areas in poconos. Taxes relatively cheap compared to NJ and the commute is pretty simple. If you do any GA there’s KMPO which is a nice field. I’m a little further west and fly out of KHZL.

ABE. Not a terrible trip out to EWR from the Lehigh Valley. Plenty of rentals around the Valley as well.

Hackettstown is relatively cheap for NJ and there's even a train line into NYC. I prefer Morristown myself as you can find reasonable apartments around a good night life.

Careful about being classed as working in NJ but living in PA as you'll have to file 2 state income taxes (PA gives a credit, same way NJ does for NY workers.)

Hackettstown is relatively cheap for NJ and there's even a train line into NYC. I prefer Morristown myself as you can find reasonable apartments around a good night life.

Careful about being classed as working in NJ but living in PA as you'll have to file 2 state income taxes (PA gives a credit, same way NJ does for NY workers.)

There is actually an exemption for pilots for an air carrier (121 or 135) that you're only responsible for the taxes of the state you live in, regardless of where you work. I used that to my great advantage when I worked out of an airport in MA but lived in NH, and I was on a 135 cert. I did get one letter from MA asking for income tax money, but I sent them a copy of the statute, and they rescinded their demand.

Part 91 pilots have a similar exemption, but for only when they are working, and are out of the state. Makes it a little complicated.

Solberg. Family run. Really nice. Somerset is very close, a little shorter, but also nice place. Hacketstown is pretty rustic, and tie-down only IIRC. Pa taxes really make the I78 commute worthwhile, even with high gas prices.

Princeton is a nice field but you would wnat to settle between there and EWR. Do not underestimate the hell that is NYC metro traffic.

Back