East Minneapolis area ?s

MooneyDriver78

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
I'm heading to there to visit, the 2 closest airports are Lake Elmo 21D and New Richmond KRNH, anyone have experience with either?
And they are calling for severe thunderstorms next week, do they get damaging hail in that area, I trying to decide to arrange a hangar or just tie down.
TIA

Anytime there's a possibility of thunderstorms, there's a chance of hail with some of those storms in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I'm familiar with both airports but not any details of the FBOs.
Call each FBO and see if a hangar is available, on the day of your arrival you'll have a better idea of the possibility of severe storms, make your decision then. How many nights do you need? If it's a long string of nights, you could keep track of the weather and call to have them put it inside if it looks severe.

What do you mean, east Minneapolis, it's called St Paul, which is the Capitol of Minnesota. Minneapolis is a small time suburb of St Paul.

Last edited:
What do you mean, east Minneapolis, it's called St Paul, which is the Capitol of Minnesota. Minneapolis is a small time suburb of St Paul.
My friend who has live there for 10 years always say Minneapolis when asked where he is from? I've never heard him mention St Paul.

I flew into Lake Elmo last week and parked on the ramp for a few hours while I took care of some business. The location is great if you'll be on the east side of the Twin Cities and the bravo doesn't start until 4,000 so it's easy to get in and out of. I would recommend talking to Minneapolis approach on your way in.

I think I remember seeing a sign on the wall with overnight tie down and hangar rates, but can't say for sure...I would just give them a call. As far as the storms go, hail is definitely a possibility. Have a good flight!

Make sure those are the two closest airports by road...there's a significant river in between them that might mean one of them is a pretty long shortcut. ;)

I'm heading to there to visit, the 2 closest airports are Lake Elmo 21D and New Richmond KRNH, anyone have experience with either?
And they are calling for severe thunderstorms next week, do they get damaging hail in that area, I trying to decide to arrange a hangar or just tie down.
TIA

South St. Paul Airport has reasonable hangar space and generally has good fuel prices. I-494 is the beltway which will whip you around to the east side of St. Paul pretty quickly. Enterprise will drop a car at the airport, so it makes a pretty good arrival spot.

Minnesota can get some nasty CB's so if I am there for a week or so, I like to hangar my plane. Last time I was in South St. Paul, I think I paid a bit over $100 for a week in the hangar. I slept much better than week than I would have otherwise.

RNH had plenty of hangar space, not so for 21D as they weren't so definitive...I ended choosing RNH despite 21D being much closer..

I did a lot of training at RNH, easy airport to deal with, decent facility, etc. I never stayed overnight though, always just flew back to EAU where I had my own hangar at the time.

Back