East coast: wedding proposal recommendations

172flyerH

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flyer172
Hi there,

I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend in the next month or so and would like to be special. So, I come to you guys to seek for advice. What would your ideal flight entail? What sights or airports would you consider in the east coast (I.e. Tristate area, New England, etc...)? Suggestions could be from a dining experience, VFR sightseeing routes or to just about anything else preferably during the day as I lack night currency at this point.

Thanks!

Hahaha, that is always the number one answer but not quite the one I'm looking for!
Oh I understand. Just remember this
Marriage is a great institution...... as long as you like institutions.

Congrats by the way. I've been married a long time. My wife loves flying around now so I can own a plane but I just don't let her see how much I really spend on it!

Not that you were suggesting doing it, please don't bother with the silly over-planned, over-the-top marriage proposal. This is one of those areas where simple is better. Trust me. Your woman won't care if your marriage proposal went viral.

FWIW- I do love watching failed Jumbotron marriage proposals. Maybe I'm a sick b@stard but they crack me up...and even when the guy fails...he still wins in the long run.

Last edited:
Not that you were suggesting doing it, please don't bother with the silly overplanned, over-the-top marriage proposal. This is one of those areas were simple is better. Trust me. Your woman won't care if your marriage proposal went viral.

FWIW- I do love watching failed Jumbotron marriage proposals. Maybe I'm a sick b@stard but they crack me up...and even when the guy fails...he still wins in the long run.

Couldn't agree more. As long as it's simple, low-key and memorable, that's all it takes. A simple breakfast fly-in would do it IMHO and would be very special in its own way.

Now, if you DO want to over do it a bit, maybe see if you can get a corn maze farmer to spell out "Will you marry me?" in his maze. Then take her on a flight over it, show her the maze, the present the ring. Hopefully you have an autopilot which will make getting on one knee a bit easier.

Take her to an airport near a shopping mall (women love shopping), ask her to pick out something she likes, buy her that thing, tell her to get changed into it, take her back to the airplane, set up a camera in the distance to record (while she thinks it's on a self-timer) (or find someone who can do it for you), and as you two are posing with the airplane, get down on one knee and propose!

Another fun one...

Take her on flight where you spell out "Will you marry me" on the GPS or Flight Aware track. Then show it to her after the flight, while on one knee presenting the ring.

If you like early aviation history, you could spend the day at Old Rhinebeck. Take her up in the biplane and propose.

Does she already know you are getting married? This is one of those questions you should know the answer to before you ask.

Fwiw I proposed at the bottom of the Wright brothers memorial. That was before selfies. My now wife gave me a hug and managed to drag the ring across the granite of the memorial ;-)

Not that you were suggesting doing it, please don't bother with the silly over-planned, over-the-top marriage proposal. This is one of those areas where simple is better. Trust me. Your woman won't care if your marriage proposal went viral.

Agreed. However, if the OP is planning a flight with him and her and not making a whole public show of it, it will work out great.

Suggestions from a guy in New England:

1B2-Katama- on Martha's Vinyard. Beautiful and easy grass runway. Park in beach parking and walk across the street for South Beach. Hang out on the beach, take the bus/cab to town or eat at the dinner on the filed, go back to the beach as the sun sets- and pop the question.

2B2-Plum Island- Really close taxi/uber ride to Newburyport, MA which is a small protypical old New England Fishing Port. Really nice resteraunts, nice sea views, Plum Island itself has some nice beaches.

BID- Awesome airport, cute downtown good for a memorable day.

Best part of your plan is you get to fly there and back!

If NJ isn't too far, what about the Flying W Resort fly-in airport. They have a motel, restaurant, music etc. Only time I've ever seen it was in the 70s, closed up. Looks interesting. Excuse could be a weekend (or weekday) get away.

flyingwairport.com

Last edited:
Might be a little further than you want but check out Tangier Island, great airport and a unique destination!

If you thought flying was expensive, wait till you try marriage. Holy Schnikes!!!!

Good luck.

Might be a little further than you want but check out Tangier Island, great airport and a unique destination!

Tangier's a great place to fly to, but I'm not sure I'd consider it "pop-the-question" worthy.

Martha's Vineyard definitely.

I'll also throw out Toronto City Airport and a weekend trip downtown.

For OP: what are you calling the tri-state area? I've heard that in many contexts, but I'm not exactly sure where you are.

This all great. Thanks a lot guys!

For OP: what are you calling the tri-state area? I've heard that in many contexts, but I'm not exactly sure where you are.

NY, NJ, CT. However, anything within a 200nm radius from New York City works.

Whatever you do, don't fake a control ring disengagement emergency and have her read the custom checklist. ;)
(youtube it)
I have seen this when it came out. That was brilliant!

NY, NJ, CT. However, anything within a 200nm radius from New York City works.

Overfly the White House. Great view for popping the "question," and lots of excitement as well. Turning off the radio will keep those annoying radio calls from interrupting you.

Thank you all for the great feedback and advise for that matter. I think a scenic flight (I.e. Hudson River) followed by a breakfast somewhere would be just right. Someone said Skyacres (44N), definitely an option. Martha's Vineyard would be nice too. I've also been meaning to try cape may (KWWD) and I have been to Millville (KMIV) for breakfast which I also like.

Does she already know you are getting married? This is one of those questions you should know the answer to before you ask.
Very valid question. Yes, we are both there and aware of it.

Whatever you do, don't record it and then give it to someone to put on the news. I am pretty tired of all of those type of staged stories. Just find a quiet moment alone and ask her. That is how it was done before everyone wanted to be special and go viral.

Thank you all for the great feedback and advise for that matter. I think a scenic flight (I.e. Hudson River) followed by a breakfast somewhere would be just right. Someone said Skyacres (44N), definitely an option. Martha's Vineyard would be nice too. I've also been meaning to try cape may (KWWD) and I have been to Millville (KMIV) for breakfast which I also like.

Sky Acres, Cape May, and Millville are all good, standard places to eat. But if you want something a little more "special" for your engagement celebration, try Culinary Creations at Orange County (KMGJ).

http://culinarycreationscafe.com/).

Look at the menu online. It's way more ambitious than the standard airport cafe, and everything I've had there has been very well executed. If the weather is nice they have patio seating. If not, the decor inside is a notch above the standard airport cafe. Their desserts are also exceptional. Plus they have a selection of excellent chocolates, as well. If she wants a glass of wine, they also have a liquor license.

The only downside is that they only open early (0900) on Sunday. So if you want breakfast, it has to be then. Wednesday through Saturday it opens at 11. Closed Monday and Tuesday.

Easiest way is to draw up the pre-nup and ask her to sign it. Wear tennis shoes when presenting it.

If she signs you've got a yes. If she balks, you've got the correct footwear to run away.

Volunteer to do a forum at Oshkosh. Go into a long song and dance about carbon being a valid semiconductor of the 4th column of the periodic table and the crystalline form of carbon is diamond (which happens to be the truth).

Then say that gold is one of the really great dopants of crystalline carbon to turn it into a REALLY FAST semiconductor (which happens to be the truth).

And then here is crystalline carbon doped with gold into a ring and will you be my wife. (The crowd goes crazy.)

Jim

Fly her all the way out west here in a light aircraft, and stick her on a horse.

If she'll put up with all of that, she's a keeper.

Throw in at least one overnight in an FBO for weather enroute.

It'll be just like real marriage trips! ;)

There is a nice restaurant at New Bedford airport and one at Nantucket. If I wanted someplace special on airport, EWB would be my choice. Top shelf food, full bar, median prices. Nantucket have a full breakfast, lunch, and dinner. EWB is lunch and dinner.

http://www.airportgrille.com

Last edited:
Hire a banner pilot and fly somewhere he does. With "Jane, will you marry me. John" on the banner of course!

Fly over to First Flight. Walk over to the Wright Memorial and say something like "This is where flying began and this is where I would like our life together to begin". If she thinks it's at all corny, she's a grounding offense.

But then again, I thought "Hi angel, can I give you a lift back to heaven?" was an ok pick up line in the bar.

Ahem . . . my own proposal a year and a half ago:

a1252458-16c5-4a02-b1a6-db0debe30c27_zps9ca03bec.jpg

20140704_100257_zps5kuqvvui.jpeg

Flew her over a local lake where her father owns several docks. I bought a bright red tarp and some white duct tape for the lettering. Was easily visible from 1K ft up, but we could have gone lower if needed. A bit crude as opposed to having a banner/sign made out of vinyl, but I wasn't spending $1K+ on a sign to be used once. She thought we were flying to a breakfast fly-in. Not east coast, but the idea works most anywhere.

We landed at an airport about 10 miles away (right off of the water) where my parents were there to take us to a family champagne brunch at her father's lakefront house(s). We then flew back to Tulsa and hitched up the boat for a run to another lake for a big fireworks show (it was July 4th).

Meh. All I did was suggest to my then Chinese girlfriend who was here on a student visa that she could get a green card if she married me. 14 years later and with US citizenship for about half of that, she hasn't wised up to the fact she no longer needs me. Hope she never does. :)

Back