Early Christmas Present

LearDriver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Gdriver
We just got the all clear from the docs. My wife is due in June. Wow is there a bunch of testing that has to be done when the mom is a little older. I am so glad that everything is looking good test wise. I have been thinking about really nothing else for about six weeks now. When you start reading about the stuff that can go wrong with a later age pregnancy it will scare the bejezus out of you. So far so good. All I am hoping for is 10 fingers, 10 toes and healthy sounding crying. Hopefully in the intelligence side of things there are more of moms traits than dads. I guess I will have to put off the Gold Wing for another couple of years.

Congrats!

Parenthood:

Sometimes it's quite frustrating but it has it's moments.

Gold Wings are over rated...

Congrats Burned Out! If you do not mind me asking, what is your wife's age? I am curious as to what the doc's consider a "late age" pregnancy.

We just got the all clear from the docs. My wife is due in June. Wow is there a bunch of testing that has to be done when the mom is a little older. I am so glad that everything is looking good test wise. I have been thinking about really nothing else for about six weeks now. When you start reading about the stuff that can go wrong with a later age pregnancy it will scare the bejezus out of you. So far so good. All I am hoping for is 10 fingers, 10 toes and healthy sounding crying. Hopefully in the intelligence side of things there are more of moms traits than dads. I guess I will have to put off the Gold Wing for another couple of years.

BTDT (Wife was almost 41 at delivery). I'm also motorcycle-free, but my daughter (now seven) loves the Miata which is as much fun but with four wheels.

Glad all the tests came up clean. I guarantee you'll still be scared when labor starts, and you'll have a huge "what now?" moment when you hold your child. But it's really all good afterwards.

A friend and x-coworker adopted a baby from China at age 47. His wife is 37. They had been trying to get pregnant for years.

I have 5 kids ages 25 to 5. There's four older kids 18 - 25 and a 5 year old. There's a country and western song that goes something like "I knew what I was doing, but what was I thinking?" I feel like sometimes when I feel the urge to tour the world in a Cub or hop on a bike and head for the other coast. But then, there's the magic that's back in the house this holiday season because the 5 year old believes.

So there was a time when I could see the light at the end of the tunnel; but, now I get it that it's the tunnel that keeps me young and in my authentic happy place.

Good luck on being a parent. It's my theory though that parenting gets harder every year until they're about 30. The only reason I say 30 is due to wishful thinking because none of mine are 30 yet.

Congratulations! Good luck and have fun.

Ha, we finished that process about 3 weeks ago and the little guy came out fine. By the way, the testing goes on and on and on and on when momma is 40 (as in our case).

He even slept pretty well for the first two weeks. ;-)

Congrats Burned Out! If you do not mind me asking, what is your wife's age? I am curious as to what the doc's consider a "late age" pregnancy.

My wife is 42. The doctors are considering anyone mid 30's up late age. The odds of having genetic and downs issues goes significantly up after the mid 30's. In our area, lots of uppity career women, they are seeing women in their late 40's to early 50's having their first baby. The numbers for those women are scary. When you do the research you get the feeling that those kids will be lucky to not have a third eye forming or gills.

A good friend is a teacher that is involved with the special ed. She says that the numbers start to show that after 29-30 undesirable issues start to become more possible. She never had kids when she was younger. Actually never intending to have her own at all. Then her bio clock went off like crazy. Being one that was real worried about how badly it could go, she adopted an outstanding little girl from China.

In our case, my wife was not supposed to be able to get pregnant. So this was quite a shock to say the least. The only constant in life is change. We are both looking forward to something different now. Hopefully this will be helpful in getting my wife to understand that we need to move out of the city and into the country.

Thanks man...and seriously, congrats. My wife is 34 and I am hoping she gets pregnant next year and will deliver when she is 35. We shall see! :)

Thanks man...and seriously, congrats. My wife is 34 and I am hoping she gets pregnant next year and will deliver when she is 35. We shall see! :)

The genetics testing is a procedure called CVS. The bill for it from the hospital was a little under 5k. However, with insurance I believe the actual cost to us was a little more than 1k. Well worth it. Getting genetic council before you even start to try really will let you know what your probabilities are. With ours we were able to go back 3 and 4 generations on most of it. My wife's father was adopted so there was some mystery there.

My mom was 40 back in the days before testing and when it was very uncommon for your first child. I turned out OK... wait a minute. :crazy:

My mom was 40 back in the days before testing and when it was very uncommon for your first child. I turned out OK... wait a minute. :crazy:

I was born on my mom's 40th birthday (I never had birthday parties because she said it was her birthday first, so she got priority). Anyway, I turned out like Mari. Take it for what it's worth. :idea::D

Congratulations. Get your sleep now, because you won't be getting any for a while after the baby is born. :D :cheerswine:

You will never realize how much your parents love you until you have a child of your own.
When we moved into our current house, my oldest was 6 months old. The master bedroom is downstairs and on the opposite end of the house from what was to be her upstairs room. I just kept thinking, "If there is a fire, I will gladly die trying to get her out of this house". That was a profound moment in my life, that I would give up my life trying to keep my kid from harm.
She slept downstairs in our room for quite a while.

In our case, my wife was not supposed to be able to get pregnant. So this was quite a shock to say the least. The only constant in life is change. We are both looking forward to something different now. Hopefully this will be helpful in getting my wife to understand that we need to move out of the city and into the country.

Congrats on all things, except the last.

I'm a "city kid" LOVE IT. Became a biologist then an environmental scientist, so the "country" thing, to me, is just "urban sprawl".

Congrats on all things, except the last.

I'm a "city kid" LOVE IT. Became a biologist then an environmental scientist, so the "country" thing, to me, is just "urban sprawl".

I spent the first 20 years of my life in New York City. Hated every minute of it. The only reason I go back now is because my mother is there, and I do so very, very begrudgingly.

Our Lear-driving friend is doing his upcoming kiddo a big favor by moving out of the city.

The genetics testing is a procedure called CVS. The bill for it from the hospital was a little under 5k. However, with insurance I believe the actual cost to us was a little more than 1k. Well worth it. Getting genetic council before you even start to try really will let you know what your probabilities are. With ours we were able to go back 3 and 4 generations on most of it. My wife's father was adopted so there was some mystery there.
Interesting -we did amniocentesis and that was fully covered due to the advanced maternal age. Still, getting 80% covered isn't bad, and I think it's better to be able to make informed choices.

Interesting -we did amniocentesis and that was fully covered due to the advanced maternal age. Still, getting 80% covered isn't bad, and I think it's better to be able to make informed choices.

The CVS was done in place of the Amnio. We were told that the CVS has to be done by the 14th week. If you miss that deadline then you can only do the Amnio. We almost missed the deadline. We didn't find out that she was pregnant until week 11 1/2. She only got checked because the flu kept reoccurring. She thought that morning sickness was just the flu. Talk about a prairie bride.

Last edited:
Congrats! Kids are fun but as a friend of mine likes to say, "I wish I could of had grandkids first!"
I was a late age baby but with 6 before me, Mom had plenty of practice. Well before testing for all kinds of things. I turned out generally okay.

Heartiest congratulations! Sue was 37 when we had our only kid. Some time later here's him getting his first Lear time :thumbsup:. You have get many, many years to be a proud papa. It's a great thing. (Better than a Goldwing).

Attachments

• P1010627.JPG
    P1010627.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 14
Heartiest congratulations! Sue was 37 when we had our only kid. Some time later here's him getting his first Lear time :thumbsup:. You have get many, many years to be a proud papa. It's a great thing. (Better than a Goldwing).

I agree its way better thing to have happen than getting a Goldwing. I made a promise that I wouldn't do any motorcycle riding on the street until after high school graduation.

That's great news.

Being a parent is the toughest job you'll ever love.

:thumbsup:

Back