EAA Going After AOPA's Market

airdale

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
airdale
http://www.avweb.com/news/skywrite/eaa_pelton_pilot_aviation_flying_208642-1.html

Interesting. Looks like Pelton is trying to capitalize on AOPA's/Fuller's problems. Good ol' capitalistic competition. It will be interesting to see where it leads.

I have always thought of EAA as a family business, since Poberezny built it pretty much himself and seems to have earned what he and his family got from it. But now that's apparently changing and it's becoming more like AOPA with hired managers, etc.

Full disclosure: I dropped my AOPA membership in disgust a few monthss ago. I join/rejoin EAA periodically when I go to OSH. Maybe I'll do it this year too.

Personally, I hope they eat Fuller's lunch. And Supper. And Breakfast. The B. of D. needs to get back on top, relieve themselves of "Vice President's Row" and get back to the roots.

List of Vice presidents:

Three of these:
Katie Pribyl, VP Communications
Keith Mordoff, Sr. VP COMMUNICATIONS
Jeff Myers, VP of Communications

FOUR of these:
Andy Cebula Sr. VP Governmental+Technical Affairs
Julia Kraus VP Legisl. Affairs.
Rob Hackman VP Regulatory Affairs: Mr. Hackman is personally responsible for the organization's misguided "charge of the light brigade" with regard to 3rd class "exemption". IMO he needs to go.
Melissa Rudinger Sr. VP Governmental Affairs

Chris Ward VP New product Dev, interactive marketing: (More promotions!
More junk email!)

Michelle Peterson, VP Member services.
Bill Dunn VP Airports (they used to let Bill do some work).
Greg Pecoraro VP Airports and State Advocacy

Adam Smith Sr. VP Center to Advance the Pilot Community, (yes, what the heck).
Craig Spence VP Operations & International Affairs
Harvey Cohen Sr. VP development

I admit I may have missed a few. Count em, 14. There are about 240 people who work at HQ and 14 are "vice presidents". My view: the organization is crushing itself under its own weight. I realize the beltway pay scale is up there, but some of these are making >250K.

Meanwhile, back at EAA, the video, "Nothing says you're unwelcome more than a white picket fence" was taken down from YouTube. Rod is gone; EAA has been reminded of its roots and will soon be munching AOPA's lunch.

Last edited:
Personally, I hope they eat Fuller's lunch. And Supper. And Breakfast. The B. of D. needs to get back on top, relieve themselves of "Vice President's Row" and get back to the roots.

List of Vice presidents:

Three of these:

FOUR of these:
Rob Hackman VP Regulatory Affairs: Mr. Hackman is personally responsible for the organization's misguided "charge of the light brigade" with regard to 3rd class "exemption". IMO he needs to go.

More junk email!)

I admit I may have missed a few. Count em, 14. There are about 240 people who work at HQ and 14 are "vice presidents". My view: the organization is crushing itself under its own weight. I realize the beltway pay scale is up there, but some of these are making >250K.

Meanwhile, back at EAA, the video, "Nothing says you're unwelcome more than a white picket fence" was taken down from YouTube. Rod is gone; EAA has been reminded of its roots and will soon be munching AOPA's lunch.

Where is the LIKE button? Lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Can we add getting rid of a corporate jet when they dump these guys?
Good luck on that. With the proxy system they have perfected and the $75M of members' money that they have squirreled away, they can ride out almost any storm and enjoy the good life all the while. Peeled grapes and champagne, anyone?

The only and faint hope is that the hitherto rubber-stamp board will take some action.

I allowed my AOPA membership to lapse this year, yet I still get emails, and snail mails, on a daily basis.

Sort of let my AOPA membership go unseen for the past year or so, seems like I'm not really missing out on much

List of Vice presidents:

Three of these:

FOUR of these:

More junk email!)

Bruce,

I find your post misleading.

I'm not sure what source you are using, but it's wildly out of date. Pribyl, Mordoff, and Myers are all the same position from different eras, not three concurrent positions. Mordoff last worked for AOPA in 2003; Myers in 2008. Pribyl is the current VP of Communications. The responsibilities of her role are quite different from either of the others as the role has changed to support varying organizational structures over time.

Andy Cebula hasn't worked at AOPA since 2010. Melissa Rudinger is his replacement. It's been years and years since Julia Kraus worked at AOPA.

Most of the others are VP-level positions in AOPA's Government Affairs Division. You won't find those people at EAA because they don't have a large advocacy team. They have two people whose titles suggest roles in government affairs--none of them actually based in Washington. We have a full-time team of six in DC and many others who are based in Frederick but are in DC on a daily basis working advocacy and regulatory affairs issues, serving on industry committees, and shaping the future of general aviation from an airspace, navigation, security, and communications standpoint.

As those who work in non-profits know, VP-level positions are common titles in government affairs departments in associations of any types. In one of those uniquely DC situations, getting the attention of the right people on the Hill and in the various agencies requires someone with "vice president" in their titles. A simple "director" doesn't get a call back. Therefore, the ratio of VP positions to total staff is not an effective measure. And, for what it's worth, there are only about 200 people working at HQ--far short of 240.

"Relieving" the association of this list of top talent and its expertise, contacts, and insights would be a serious blow to all of general aviation. While you may not recognize or appreciate their expertise, know that AOPA VPs are freqently recruited away by other aviation associations and the FAA.

BTW, one of the positions you note was eliminated several weeks ago.

There is at most one position on the above list whose salary is in the $250k range. Most of the others are well below that.

Bruce,

I'm not sure what source you are using, but it's wildly out of date. Pribyl, Mordoff, and Myers are all the same position from different eras, not three concurrent positions. Mordoff last worked for AOPA in 2003; Myers in 2008. Pribyl is the current VP of Communications. The responsibilities of her role are quite different from either of the others as the role has changed to support varying organizational structures over time.

Andy Cebula hasn't worked at AOPA since 2010. Melissa Rudinger is his replacement. It's been years and years since Julia Kraus worked at AOPA.

Most of the others are VP-level positions in AOPA's Government Affairs Division. You won't find those people at EAA because they don't have a large advocacy team. They have two people whose titles suggest roles in government affairs--none of them actually based in Washington. We have a full-time team of six in DC and many others who are based in Frederick but are in DC on a daily basis working advocacy and regulatory affairs issues, serving on industry committees, and shaping the future of general aviation from an airspace, navigation, security, and communications standpoint.

As those who work in non-profits know, VP-level positions are common titles in government affairs departments in associations of any types. In one of those uniquely DC situations, getting the attention of the right people on the Hill and in the various agencies requires someone with "vice president" in their titles. A simple "director" doesn't get a call back. Therefore, the ratio of VP positions to total staff is not an effective measure. And, for what it's worth, there are only about 200 people working at HQ--far short of 240.

"Relieving" the association of this list of top talent and its expertise, contacts, and insights would be a serious blow to all of general aviation. While you may not recognize or appreciate their expertise, know that AOPA VPs are freqently recruited away by other aviation associations and the FAA.

There is at most one position on the above list whose salary is in the $250k range. Most of the others are well below that.

And yet, with all of that top level heaviness, you still are unable to accomplish anything anymore, except try to convince us to spend more money on a PAC.

And yet, with all of that top level heaviness, you still are unable to accomplish anything anymore, except try to convince us to spend more money on a PAC.

You really should read beyond the forums.....

I guess you missed this story late last week where we were successful in getting legislation passed in Indiana that dramatically lowered taxes on aviation, saving a pilot of a light twin some $100 to $250 at every fill up, saving flight schools probably $40,000 a year each in taxes, and lowering taxes on aviation maintenance: http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2013/130426pain-less-at-the-pump.html?CMP=News:S5T

Apparently you didn't notice mulitple stories that our supporters in Congress (supported by our PAC and rallied by AOPA members), garnered 223 signatures in the House on a letter to the President telling him that a budget including user fees would not be accepted. http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articl...ilds.html?CMP=WDG:adunitid:249000 adid:553697

It must have escaped your notice that our calls to Customs headquarters last week caused a realignment of staffing in Florida to relieve wait times for those clearing Customs inbound at busy GA airports: http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articl...es-florida-delay-problems.html?CMP=MoreNews:1

You must not have noticed that after we last month sent in our comments on FCC's proposal to ban the use of 121.5 MHz ELTs, that suddenly numerous influential Senators began to support our position that the change will cost GA pilots some $500 million in unnecessary expense. http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2013/130503senators-to-fcc-drop-121-mhz-elt-ban-proposal.html

And that's just a few highlights from the last three weeks or so.

This Tom, is exactly the kind of information the membership doesn't get in a straight forward, no-nonsense format like you just presented. Much of what we get generally comes with an outstretched palm in one form or another. The latest appeal from the PAC was an abomination. Just give it to us straight.

That's why you'll find a certain degree of animus on the boards.

This Tom, is exactly the kind of information the membership doesn't get in a straight forward, no-nonsense format like you just presented. Much of what we get generally comes with an outstretched palm in one form or another. The latest appeal from the PAC was an abomination. Just give it to us straight.

Thanks. While we do put a lot of information out through our media channels (and I'm not including PAC letters in that description), we haven't been as active in the forums as we should be. We'll strive to do better.

Wasn't there a nice sunrise sometime that you want to take credit for?

I've given you lots of information in the links above. You let me know when you have evidence that we have incorrectly taken credit for any of it. I'll be happy to correct the record.

List of Vice presidents:

Three of these:

FOUR of these:

More junk email!)

It frustrates me when the whole AOPA scene seems to be about the $1m+ market of aircraft. Its great :rolleyes2: all reading about stuff I'll never own.

Tom, the AOPA jet is an ongoing source of contention. Anybody who understands the business knows that jets are incredibly expensive, and the members are paying the freight for their hired help who rides around in them.

I've never seen an NBAA jet, and their organization represensents that segment of the business as opposed to the owner-flown market. Why does AOPA think they need one?

I'd love to hear whose bright idea the Wine Club was...just what aviation needs. A profession that is linked in the media at every opportunity with drunks having an organization dedicated to providing alcohol to them.

Bruce,

Hi Tom... In the interest of full disclosure we all need to set the record straight....

I will go first...

I have been a member of AOPA for over 25 years. I have been a pilot for over 30 years. I am the AOPA ASN rep for the Jackson Hole Wy Airport and as such donate ALOT of my time, totally uncompensated, to help aviation florish, or at least not slip further back......

Now it is your turn....

To quell the rumors surrounding the AOPA's administration please answer the following questions...

1- How many people are currently on the AOPA payroll ?

2- Please provide a detailed list of salaries, benefits and other perks that each employee receives, including yours.

3- AOPA's Cash on hand.

4- Manifest of all the flights N4GA has taken in the last 4 years, including people on board, reason for the trips and total expenses of of that aircraft.

Those are just a few questions ALOT of people want answered and in the interest of fairness please don't use the "that info is confidential" BS...

Thanks for your time in this matter.

Ben Haas
AOPA member
# 789859

Last edited:

Nick, get involved (directly) in an airport battle, one requiring application and interpretation of complex FARs and Grant Assurance interpretations and standards, and you'll see some seriously valuable AOPA mojo at work. Not sexy, not high-profile, but very useful for the boots on the ground. You gotta take my word for this one, but I could show you some real specifics too.

Agreed. It seems that the organization is not calmly communicating its contributions, except in the context of financial campaigns.

Hi Tom... In the interest of full disclosure we all need to set the record straight....

I will go first...

I have been a member of AOPA for over 25 years. I have been a pilot for over 30 years. I am the AOPA ASN rep for the Jackson Hole Wy Airport and as such donate ALOT of my time, totally uncompensated, to help avaition florish, or at least not slip further back......

Now it is your turn....

To quell the rumors surrounding the AOPA's administration please answer the following questions...

2- Please provide a detailed list of salaries, benefits and other perks that each employee receives, including yours.

3- APOA's Cash on hand.

4- Manifest of all the flights N4GA has taken in the last 4 years, including people on board, reason for the trips and total expenses of of that aircraft.

Those are just a few questions ALOT of people want answered and in the interest of fairness please don't use the "that info is confidential" BS...

Ben Haas
AOPA member
# 789859

:goofy: :hairraise:

I'd love to hear whose bright idea the Wine Club was...just what aviation needs. A profession that is linked in the media at every opportunity with drunks having an organization dedicated to providing alcohol to them.

Jeff,

Many organizations have successful wine clubs, including the NRA and no one seems to believe that as a result the NRA condones the mixing of shooting and alcohol. The New York Times makes millions form its wine club. The one briefly promoted by AOPA was created not by AOPA but by a group of California winery owners and wine makers all of whom are pilots and aircraft owners who wanted to share their craft with fellow pilots and provide some of the proceeds to AOPA. No AOPA funds were spent on the effort and all of the fulfillment was done by the group setting up the project.

Despite it never going beyond the test phase, hundreds of AOPA members joined the club and enjoyed it. However, despite a reasonable start, the decision was made to shut it down after about a year because of the negative reaction from some members. The members of the club were informed of the decision and many were disappointed.

It's now been years since this all transpired. The community really needs to move on.

Jeff,

Many organizations have successful wine clubs, including the NRA and no one seems to believe that as a result the NRA condones the mixing of shooting and alcohol. The New York Times makes millions form its wine club. The one briefly promoted by AOPA was created not by AOPA but by a group of California winery owners and wine makers all of whom are pilots and aircraft owners who wanted to share their craft with fellow pilots and provide some of the proceeds to AOPA. No AOPA funds were spent on the effort and all of the fulfillment was done by the group setting up the project.

Despite it never going beyond the test phase, hundreds of AOPA members joined the club and enjoyed it. However, despite a reasonable start, the decision was made to shut it down after about a year because of the negative reaction from some members. The members of the club were informed of the decision and many were disappointed.

It's now been years since this all transpired. The community really needs to move on.
Wow, you shooting for Jay Carney's job?

It was a incredibly dumb move. Pilots are regularly pilloried in the media as being drunks. It was incredibly short sighted to provide yet more ammunition to that.

The whole "Lifestyles Collection" was similarly hair-brained. Take a group that the general public thinks are spoiled rich-people, and add to the impression with a line of very expensive exclusive merchandise.

I get it, y'all need more money coming in from advertisers/sponsors to support empire building.

Tom,

Move on to what? Does the management think the members are asking for more mailings about more crap sales pitches and more "fight user fees NOW! solicitations or maybe saying enough is enough?

Jeff,

Tom,

Move on to what? Does the management think the members are asking for more mailings about more crap sales pitches and more "fight user fees NOW! solicitations or maybe saying enough is enough?

Actually, that post demonstrates much of the problem.

AOPA's hemorrhaging members. So, instead of addressing issues, they blame "the community" for not "moving on".

Actually, that post demonstrates much of the problem.

AOPA's hemorrhaging members. So, instead of addressing issues, they blame "the community" for not "moving on".

That's the deal. Tom is here, not listening to what members and former members feel is important, but instead to defend every boneheaded decision they've made. Ands its not just Tom, that's AOPA in general now.

So, when the DC ADIZ was shrunk, and the AOPA president made a statement beforehand that it was just a rumor and likely not true, then it became true the next day and AOPA took credit for it happening...what's the spin there? Lol.

Nick, get involved (directly) in an airport battle, one requiring application and interpretation of complex FARs and Grant Assurance interpretations and standards, and you'll see some seriously valuable AOPA mojo at work. Not sexy, not high-profile, but very useful for the boots on the ground. You gotta take my word for this one, but I could show you some real specifics too.e:
O don't doubt it for a second. But there are others that have seen AOPA be the reason their airport was shut down. That's not good.

I am surprised at some of the negativity shown toward AOPA. We pilots don't have any other voice in D.C. besides AOPA to my knowledge. To that end I support AOPA and donate my money to the PAC in order to fight issues like user fees.

If some here don't support this group then by all means do something productive as an alternative. Bitching about AOPA on a pilot forum isn't going to accomplish anything except to further divide our small and otherwise mute group.

I am surprised at some of the negativity shown toward AOPA. We pilots don't have any other voice in D.C. besides AOPA to my knowledge. To that end I support AOPA and donate my money to the PAC in order to fight issues like user fees.

If some here don't support this group then by all means do something productive as an alternative. Bitching about AOPA on a pilot forum isn't going to accomplish anything except to further divide our small and otherwise mute group.

Hello 2009.

Who funds the operation, us or the post office? Is our role to just send in the money and take whatever they decide to serve up? If we deserve a voice in what goes on, how do we make clear that we want to be heard?

You let me know when you have evidence that we have incorrectly taken credit for any of it. I'll be happy to correct the record.
Tom, nice to see you here. But rather than offering a game of "Catch me if you can" please give us independent citations that would let us evaluate AOPA's effectiveness. Links to your own puffery are not helpful in this respect. Surely, if AOPA hits above its weight as members are contstantly told, other publications (Washington Post, Avweek, etc.) would have noticed and commented.

I've never seen an NBAA jet ...
That's because they don't have one. I called and asked.

3- APOA's Cash on hand.
You're not going to get that. But if you go to https://www.guidestar.org/ and register (free) you can download the tax returns.

The 2011 tax return (PDF page 22) shows nine people making over $250K, including the Dear Departed Boyer at $774K. Yodice (page 25) is also getting $321K through his firm. Probably that does not include the dough he rakes in running the (sole-source, no bid) legal services program. Unfortunately, most of AOPA's spending goes into "AOPA Membership Publications" and "AOPA Service Corporation" (Page 28), which are totally opaque subsidiaries. I'd guess you could find a few more vice-presidents there, and probably some sons, daughters, brothers, and sisters -- like the Yodice daughter.

Investments (Page 11) are $70M. That's about four and a half years of dues. Now do you see why the dues increase was necessary?
The community really needs to move on.
Tom, there is no community -- at least in the sense of an AOPA community. AOPA is run by its insiders and "members" are simply revenue sources. Only insiders attend the annual meeting of the corporation, which until a year or two ago was even held at a deliberately-obscure location. Member participation in governance is never solicited and the proxy system ensures that no member movement could ever effect any change. A member's role at AOPA is exactly the same as his role at Burger King: customer. And the goal is the exactly same: Keep 'em happy in order get as much money as we can.

Is our role to just send in the money and take whatever they decide to serve up?
Yes. Same as Burger King.

Who funds the operation, us or the post office? Is our role to just send in the money and take whatever they decide to serve up? If we deserve a voice in what goes on, how do we make clear that we want to be heard?

Constructive criticism is productive and I have no problem with people doing that, in fact they should. Especially those that contribute and are members.

I was referencing all those who have done nothing, will do nothing, and yet have a lot of criticism for any that do.

FWIW, I have a 35-year AOPA membership pin. I also haven't renewed since the December expiration, and think the organization needs a wake-up call.

Constructive criticism is productive and I have no problem with people doing that, in fact they should. Especially those that contribute and are members.

I was referencing all those who have done nothing, will do nothing, and yet have a lot of criticism for any that do.

FWIW, I have a 35-year AOPA membership pin. I also haven't renewed since the December expiration, and think the organization needs a wake-up call.

AOPA should pay attention to people like you and ask why you haven't renewed. Not doing that for a 35 year member certainly indicates a needed wake-up call.

That aside, what should we do in the meantime?

I've been a member for 25 years and even though they've been quite broken in the last few years I figured it's only a few bucks and it's the only organization focused on GA advocacy so I'm in.

Their weak support (i.e. where they watered down the elimination of the Class 3 medical and are luke warm at best in advocacy) is annoying. However, they've recently taken a turn (see supporting raiding the airport fund to pay to keep towers we don't need) where I think they are actually advocating for the bureaucracy rather than the pilots.

I can afford to support a weak organization but I can not support an organization advocating against my interests.

BING-GO!

They have all these 'experts' working 7/24/365 on the hill, and for the past 20 years everything GA has gone to shyte from a regulatory perspective. One senator proposes a pilots 'BOR', and within ~24 months it is law.

Where were you AOPA? Why no demand for a pilots BOR before Inoyeyeueye sponsored it? How did the cluster$$$$ that is ADS(out only, thanks very much) stay in the budget and on track for a decade? If pilots are predominantly conservative(by an est 75-25% split) why are you spending piles of money on electing liberals?

I'm not a member anymore, and I like to say that I didn't leave AOPA, but AOPA 'left' me. Cya - wouldn't want to be-ya. My EAA membership renewal is in the mail.

I think I finally stopped getting calls to donate to AOPA-PAC when I explained very carefully to them that they would be subject to hundreds of thousands in fines if they accepted money from me...being an alien and all.

I will go first...

I have been a member of AOPA for over 25 years. I have been a pilot for over 30 years. I am the AOPA ASN rep for the Jackson Hole Wy Airport and as such donate ALOT of my time, totally uncompensated, to help avaition florish, or at least not slip further back......

Now it is your turn....

3- APOA's Cash on hand.

Ben Haas
AOPA member
# 789859

Ben,

Thanks for your efforts on behalf of the ASN volunteer program. You and the other 2,000 volunteers around the country are making a remarkable difference in how we advocate and protect airports. We could use another couple of thousand at other airports. Who's game?

My disclosure: As of last month I'm a 25-year AOPA employee and a pilot for 36 years; like many I joined AOPA when I learned to fly.

1- How many people are currently on the AOPA payroll ? I don't have the exact number, but between AOPA and its various subsidiaries it's probably close to 250.

2- Please provide a detailed list of salaries, benefits and other perks that each employee receives, including yours. Other than my own, which I'm not going to share, I don't have access to that information. See comments below about the Form 990.

3- APOA's Cash on hand. I presume you are referring to our reserves, as opposed to day-to-day cash flow. The reserve is in the neighborhood of $70 million, as noted in our IRS Form 990 filing, which you can access--along with other financial data--from our Governance page, which is linked from the bottom of every page on our Web site: http://www.aopa.org/info/governance.html . BTW, that amount is on par with the amount that our accounting firm, Grant Thornton, recommends an association such as AOPA should have on hand. We dip into it from time to time for special projects, such as the launch of the GA Serves America campaign a few years ago and more recently to help launch the Center to Advance the Pilot Community, which is charged with helping to improve the completion rate of student pilots, helping improve affordable access to aircraft through the support of flying clubs, and re-engaging pilots who have dropped out--among other things. The reserve also returns a small amount to our operating budgets annually. While some pilots seem to see the reserve as an excuse not to support the organization financially, others recognize the vision of our board of trustees and leadership team in building a solid financial footing for AOPA and its future--especially in these troubling times. AOPA turns 75 next year and it didn't get to be that old by making a lot of financial mistakes.

4- Manifest of all the flights N4GA has taken in the last 4 years, including people on board, reason for the trips and total expenses of of that aircraft. I don't have access to that level of detail, but you can check out how the aircraft is used by looking at FlightAware. One of the first things Craig Fuller did as president was to unblock the N number of the airplane so that anyone can see where we use it. While I don't have access to the detailed manifests, I can tell you that the times I'm on the airplane, it is generally completely or nearly full with staff of all levels and occasionally people from other aviation associations moving to meetings and events in support of GA. I can also tell you that while many who have not traveled by "private jet" think it's all glamorous, when all the seats on a CJ-3 are full--including the belted potty (which I have been belted to)--it's not all that glamorous. It's definitely a time-saver though, especially for us being located on a GA airport and frequently conducting business at events and companies located on airports. And, just so you know, AOPA has operated a turbine airplane since the late 1970s or early 1980s when it purchased a Cessna Conquest I turboprop when John Baker was president. After looking at the travel patterns carefully, the board authorized Phil Boyer to upgrade to a CJ in the 1990s. I'm always amused when people accuse us of keeping it "secret." It was on display at several of our fly-ins at Frederick. Our Caravan was on display at our Oshkosh and Sun 'n Fun booths over the last couple of years. Phil wrote a column in AOPA Pilot, the world's largest aviation magazine about getting the CJ. Some secret.

Tom,

I get it that members aren't asking for more mailings. The Wine Club was an attempt at a new product. It was not well received. We heard that. Canceled it. Learned from it and moved on. Any organization that is willing to try new things is going to fail from time to time. New Coke, anyone?

Back