Dulles Push Times?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Anyone know if there is a list published somewhere with push times for IAD?

Actually, I had one. We got Donna from the tower to give us them when we were setting up for the U-H fly in.
Let me look. Mostly you want to avoid 9AM, just before noon and around 5PM from my own experience.

Actually, I had one. We got Donna from the tower to give us them when we were setting up for the U-H fly in.
Let me look. Mostly you want to avoid 9AM, just before noon and around 5PM from my own experience.
So, would 10-1030 in the morning be good?

It should be 1100-1200 used to be THE WORST time of day, big arrival push and that's where the bottle neck is

I no longer have a preference for one FBO over the other. Too many management changes.

Maybe check FlightAware and look for congestion.

That shouldn't be a problem. IAD is pretty GA friendly (except for the fees) and it's in easy airport to get in and out.
I've been there once in the Citation. Wasn't too bad, but don't recall what time we arrived. Worst part was departing and having to do the all the handoffs between ground and ramp control to get from Ross to the east runway.

Most departures are sent to 30. While there is a third ground frequency, it doesn't seem much used. It's just East and West (and Ramp). I can tell you going from Ross/Hawthorne/Landmark to Udvar-Hazy is probably about the longest taxi how there. I think it's like 8 miles (and three frequencies).

I've been in twice at different times of the day in my 177RG and both times the controllers were great to work with. It was a kick looking across the runway at the nose of a 747 while waiting for takeoff.

I had to pick something up from an on-field business each time so I didn't have to pay any fees and was given the runway that would be closest to where I needed to go and direct routing to and from the runway each time. However, I live on the south side of Houston and base out of LBX. Many hanger neighbors used to fly up to pick up people flying into IAH instead of fighting cross town traffic but stopped in the last couple of years due to the fees. It's probably worth calling the FBO's to see what the fees will be if you want to avoid a surprise.

Gary

You should have been charged $8 or so from MWAA. However, unlike some other airports that are more aggressive unless you walk up to the girl at the FBO counter and say "I just landed my airplane here" they may not realize it needed to be collected. I was based at Dulles for years, first in a flying club, and then in my Navion. The flying club just put the landing fee on the rental ticket. I assumed when I moved the plane to private operation they'd just bill me like they did for the fuel. Usually, I parked and tied the plane down myself (the Navion was oddly sized for their small plane parking at the time and I just parked it way out on the ramp) and just walked through the FBO to my car.
It was months before I realized since I didn't walk up to the desk and volunteer to pay the landing fee, they hadn't any idea it needed to be collected.

Arrived a little after 10 today. Pretty quiet. Worst part of the experience was the bill. Holy hell! Dulles is every bit as expensive as BOS. I think all in, total fees were over $300 for about 6 hours on the ramp. I've heard that Dulles is dying a slow death, but it looks like they are trying to get everything they can out of those that do come there.

I've been in twice at different times of the day in my 177RG and both times the controllers were great to work with. It was a kick looking across the runway at the nose of a 747 while waiting for takeoff.

I had to pick something up from an on-field business each time so I didn't have to pay any fees and was given the runway that would be closest to where I needed to go and direct routing to and from the runway each time. However, I live on the south side of Houston and base out of LBX. Many hanger neighbors used to fly up to pick up people flying into IAH instead of fighting cross town traffic but stopped in the last couple of years due to the fees. It's probably worth calling the FBO's to see what the fees will be if you want to avoid a surprise.

Gary
I think you're talking about IAH, unless you meant that the IAD controllers are great.

Arrived a little after 10 today. Pretty quiet. Worst part of the experience was the bill. Holy hell! Dulles is every bit as expensive as BOS. I think all in, total fees were over $300 for about 6 hours on the ramp. I've heard that Dulles is dying a slow death, but it looks like they are trying to get everything they can out of those that do come there.

What the hell are you flying? It's $42(8 landing + parking and security) for a Cessna with 1 day of parking at Ross(former Lanmark). However, this is an inaguration week... things may be different

What the hell are you flying? It's $42(8 landing + parking and security) for a Cessna with 1 day of parking at Ross(former Lanmark). However, this is an inaguration week... things may be different
My company has spent close to $300 in fees + gas in an SR22. We always use Signature. I assume gas was the bulk of the expense for FearlessTower.

Beech 18

Fees:
Landing Fee $41.58
Aircraft Parking $69.00
Avgas Concession Fee $81.19
Infrastructure Fee $25.00

Actually closer to $220 plus fuel cost. I misread the original fuel amount and thought it was $300, but it was actually over $400 for 57 gallons of avgas.

This was at Signature. If I consider going up there again, I'll call Ross ahead of time to check on fees

Beech 18

This was at Signature.

Yeah... i see the problem now :).... Signature did quoted me 80 or so for one day parking... they would graciously take out 15$ for 8 gal of gas though

If DC is your destination KGAI is a good alternative. I remember the fees being very reasonable. 10 minute Uber ride to Shady Grove metro station. Trains depart every 6 minutes to downtown.

Beech 18

Fees:
Landing Fee $41.58
Aircraft Parking $69.00
Avgas Concession Fee $81.19
Infrastructure Fee $25.00

Actually closer to $220 plus fuel cost. I misread the original fuel amount and thought it was $300, but it was actually over $400 for 57 gallons of avgas.

This was at Signature. If I consider going up there again, I'll call Ross ahead of time to check on fees
57 gallons of fuel? How much per gallon?
I've started landing short of my destination (or just past it if necessary) if the fuel price on the field is rediculous. For example, my trip to RDU I've flown past to HRJ, only adds about 30 minutes of fly time, but the with a cost difference of about $3 to $4 in fuel it's well worth. I just leave enough for them to wave (usually about 8 to 10 gal, although last time I only left 5 and they still waved all the fees).

Back