DUAL Garmin G5 HSI & PFD In Flight Demo - 430W & STEC 30 Autopilot

Very nice!

Imagine taking your sweet little Cessna back in time to, say, 1960, and showing it to the guy who thinks his Narco with the Whistle-Stop Tuning is the bomb.

Thanks for posting that! Much faster than I was expecting.

Thank you for the video! Most I've got to see it in real world operation. One quick question...what is the procedure for going from heading mode to GPSS or vice-versa? I know you don't have this particular setup, but I'm curious to know how the functionality is and procedure with the Century III series with the separate radio coupler where I select heading or nav mode...can anyone answer?

Thanks for sharing this. I have one G5 at present and I'm looking forward to adding a G5 for HSI in the next few months.

I'm especially excited about the GAD29B for GPSS in conjunction with my GTN650. It will breathe new life into my old analog autopilot (which I feel is simply too costly to upgrade, and besides, it works pretty well as it is.)

The G5s have been really exciting for GA. Until now the only real option was Aspen, but these G5s are really the value proposition these days and really extend the panel if you're fortunate enough to be running GNS or GTN series Navigators.

Thank you for the video! Most I've got to see it in real world operation. One quick question...what is the procedure for going from heading mode to GPSS or vice-versa? I know you don't have this particular setup, but I'm curious to know how the functionality is and procedure with the Century III series with the separate radio coupler where I select heading or nav mode...can anyone answer?

I don't have direct experience but since I already have a Century III autopilot (technically "Altimatic III," which is basically the same thing) my understanding is that you turn GPSS on and off from the G5 interface itself. You can see the OP do this at one point during his video. All you do in terms of your autopilot selector is choose "heading" mode vs. Omni or Nav. That's it.

That's per Garmin's marketing materials, by the way. This is how I expect it to work.

Not shabby!

I'd love to ditch my vac AI, allowing me to ditch the whole vac system, but think I'd keep my 3308 EHSI, I'm the odd ball here that likes his overlays.

But seeing that G5 in action, I'm quite impressed!

I don't have direct experience but since I already have a Century III autopilot (technically "Altimatic III," which is basically the same thing) my understanding is that you turn GPSS on and off from the G5 interface itself. You can see the OP do this at one point during his video. All you do in terms of your autopilot selector is choose "heading" mode vs. Omni or Nav. That's it.

That's per Garmin's marketing materials, by the way. This is how I expect it to work.

Yeah, Altimatic IIIc here as well. I'm assuming that's how it works too...just have to re-learn how to do things in the aircraft if I go this route I suppose. I'm still up in the air about it, but the HSI is attractive as it includes GPSS and can double as the AI in event of vacuum failure. Plus I can sell me GI-106a to help offset the cost a little.

Yeah, Altimatic IIIc here as well. I'm assuming that's how it works too...just have to re-learn how to do things in the aircraft if I go this route I suppose. I'm still up in the air about it, but the HSI is attractive as it includes GPSS and can double as the AI in event of vacuum failure. Plus I can sell me GI-106a to help offset the cost a little.

Yeah, my attitude redundancy is getting a bit ridiculous in my airplane... a long time ago and in a galaxy far away (2002) I got field approval to plumb the vacuum and pitot-static system to run two vacuum ADIs. I have been flying that way until late 2016, when I installed the G5 ADI and kept both the vacuum ADIs.

So now, when I install the G5 HSI, I'll have three full-time ADIs and one electronic ADI ready to spin up in reversionary mode. I have been thinking about getting rid of one of the vacuum ADIs but I need one for the autopilot, and that one replaced my turn coordinator. The other one is on the right side of the panel, and it just "feels" right to have it there, even though it's not a two pilot airplane obviously... maybe it's just my work bias showing through. I figure I'm going to keep my DG which is easy because one of my CDIs will have to go, and the DG will move there...

So I'll have electronic attitude, electronic HSI, backed up with two vacuum pumps powering two vacuum ADIs and one vacuum DG. (And backing up the DG I have a card compass!)

... all backed up with a couple of iPads. Heh. If anything it's overly redundant at that point. No complaints here...

Yeah, my attitude redundancy is getting a bit ridiculous in my airplane... a long time ago and in a galaxy far away (2002) I got field approval to plumb the vacuum and pitot-static system to run two vacuum ADIs. I have been flying that way until late 2016, when I installed the G5 ADI and kept both the vacuum ADIs.

So now, when I install the G5 HSI, I'll have three full-time ADIs and one electronic ADI ready to spin up in reversionary mode. I have been thinking about getting rid of one of the vacuum ADIs but I need one for the autopilot, and that one replaced my turn coordinator. The other one is on the right side of the panel, and it just "feels" right to have it there, even though it's not a two pilot airplane obviously... maybe it's just my work bias showing through. I figure I'm going to keep my DG which is easy because one of my CDIs will have to go, and the DG will move there...

So I'll have electronic attitude, electronic HSI, backed up with two vacuum pumps powering two vacuum ADIs and one vacuum DG. (And backing up the DG I have a card compass!)

... all backed up with a couple of iPads. Heh. If anything it's overly redundant at that point. No complaints here...

All you need now is a redundant pilot. :D

One quick question...what is the procedure for going from heading mode to GPSS or vice-versa?

Just turn the GPSS on or off inside the G5 (press knob in, rotate 3 clicks, press again). With it off, it's in Heading and you just rotate the bug.

For my specific set up, the installer put a simple A-B switch down with the rest of the autopilot switches (below the 400W).

Flipped up, it uses the G5 heading bug (GPSS off) or 400W (GPSS on).

Flipped down and with the STEC in LO or HI, it uses my Narco NAV for LOC or VOR work.

That was an oddball, but working, solution since I don't have a NAV (loc/ILS) buult into the 400W (since it's not a 430W).

Hope that makes sense. It's not so bad in real life.

Dad keeps asking when he can order his, I keep saying when we are closer to warmer weather.

Thanks for sharing! This is very helpful. I am having a G5 HSI installed this month and feel it provides a lot of functionality. I hope I don't regret not adding the G5 AI also.

Thanks for sharing! This is very helpful. I am having a G5 HSI installed this month and feel it provides a lot of functionality. I hope I don't regret not adding the G5 AI also.

If I were you, I'd do it. They play well together and look good next to each other, too.

Question about the mounting. How exactly are those G5’s mounted to the panel? It looks like they are mounted on top of the cover plate that hides the mounting screws for the rest of the instruments. If you need to pull the cover plate off to remove other instruments, how does that work with the way the G5’s are mounted? I ask because I have a similar panel situation and don’t want to carve up the cover plate if I don’t have to.

My only complaint about G5, especially the HSI version is it’s too dim in low light conditions, in a dawn launch I have to manually adjust the brightness, not a big deal.

Question about the mounting. How exactly are those G5’s mounted to the panel? It looks like they are mounted on top of the cover plate that hides the mounting screws for the rest of the instruments. If you need to pull the cover plate off to remove other instruments, how does that work with the way the G5’s are mounted? I ask because I have a similar panel situation and don’t want to carve up the cover plate if I don’t have to.

My shop did indeed have to carve up my precious panel cover. As you know, you can't find them new and mine was in great shape. I implored him to do a good job on the cuts and he did. There is barely any wiggle room in the square he cut out and the G5 itself. Lines are as straight as he could get them and I guess he did it manually.

Anyhow, the cover just slides off, though you have to work it back and forth because it's a tight fit.

The G5 itself is removed with a 3/32" hex, like any other avionics (430, transponders, etc). Playing around, I have loosened it and tried to pull it out, but it's blocked on the back side by either hardware or running out of play in the wires.

One gripe, that really is no one's fault, is that the left G5 looks slightly crooked. We measured both with a digital bubble level and they're both 0°, but the left looks off, the right looks straight. So it's more of an optical illusion than anything. But I will have to fix it when it's not so cold out, which will probably require turning that square cut-out into a parallelogram of sorts.

My big summer project will be taking a large chunk of aluminum plate and making my own panel. I want rid of that cover panel and 60 years of extra holes and dings and cut outs. Going to start afresh and see if I can make it look nicer.

how many extra knots did you get after install? (the G5 IS a speed mod, no?)

Here's the video I've been talking about all week.

I'm not Flight Chops. I did what I could, cut a few pieces together and here you go.
thank you. best dual setup demo there is

My only complaint about G5, especially the HSI version is it’s too dim in low light conditions, in a dawn launch I have to manually adjust the brightness, not a big deal.

Change the backlighting configuration.

A side note, the GTN has one of the most detailed, complete, and complex automatic dimmer setup I have ever seen. For some reason the G5 STC data tells installers to set all that junk to "default".
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-10_11.pdf

upload_2018-1-5_12-38-3.png
upload_2018-1-5_12-34-45.png

Last edited:
One gripe, that really is no one's fault, is that the left G5 looks slightly crooked. We measured both with a digital bubble level and they're both 0°, but the left looks off, the right looks straight. So it's more of an optical illusion than anything.
I thought mine was a little off as well and put the level on it to find that it was perfect. Like you said, they can have an optical illusion mixed in the panel. They didn't have the HSI yet when I installed. I am not so patiently waiting on dynon to decide on the Skyview HDX, another G5 or to see if the G500's have any impact (able to be useful) in the used market with the Txi's out. At that point I may see what having a new panel cut will set me back.

Thanks for the video!

Here's mine to compare (thought it looked leaning to the left a bit...ocd sucks :) )

IMG_4902.JPG

I thought mine was a little off as well and put the level on it to find that it was perfect. Like you said, they can have an optical illusion mixed in the panel. They didn't have the HSI yet when I installed. I am not so patiently waiting on dynon to decide on the Skyview HDX, another G5 or to see if the G500's have any impact (able to be useful) in the used market with the Txi's out. At that point I may see what having a new panel cut will set me back.

Thanks for the video!

Here's mine to compare (thought it looked leaning to the left a bit...ocd sucks :) )

View attachment 59064

Wow, that is way cocked to the left, esp if that black thing up top is "level". I couldn't handle that. I doubt you can see the crookedness in my video, but sitting in front of it, you can.

Depending on install, you may be able to turn the hex screw out to loosen it, rotate, retighten.

Wow, that is way cocked to the left, esp if that black thing up top is "level". I couldn't handle that. I doubt you can see the crookedness in my video, but sitting in front of it, you can.

Depending on install, you may be able to turn the hex screw out to loosen it, rotate, retighten.
It's actually not as bad as that close zoom pic. Like I said though, the G5 is level. The glare shield isn't. I'll probably just let it ride until I get a new panel cut (if). Maybe a better shot is zoomed out a bit? You can see how the glare shield slopes down towards the center. Think it's more of the optical illusion you reference before.

IMG_5020.jpg

It's actually not as bad as that close zoom pic. Like I said though, the G5 is level. The glare shield isn't. I'll probably just let it ride until I get a new panel cut (if). Maybe a better shot is zoomed out a bit? You can see how the glare shield slopes down towards the center. Think it's more of the optical illusion you reference before.

View attachment 59065
really cool panel

My shop did indeed have to carve up my precious panel cover. As you know, you can't find them new and mine was in great shape. I implored him to do a good job on the cuts and he did. There is barely any wiggle room in the square he cut out and the G5 itself. Lines are as straight as he could get them and I guess he did it manually.

Anyhow, the cover just slides off, though you have to work it back and forth because it's a tight fit.

The G5 itself is removed with a 3/32" hex, like any other avionics (430, transponders, etc). Playing around, I have loosened it and tried to pull it out, but it's blocked on the back side by either hardware or running out of play in the wires.

One gripe, that really is no one's fault, is that the left G5 looks slightly crooked. We measured both with a digital bubble level and they're both 0°, but the left looks off, the right looks straight. So it's more of an optical illusion than anything. But I will have to fix it when it's not so cold out, which will probably require turning that square cut-out into a parallelogram of sorts.

My big summer project will be taking a large chunk of aluminum plate and making my own panel. I want rid of that cover panel and 60 years of extra holes and dings and cut outs. Going to start afresh and see if I can make it look nicer.
So if you needed to remove the panel insert to replace the altimeter for example, you’d remove the G5’s first?

So if you needed to remove the panel insert to replace the altimeter for example, you’d remove the G5’s first?

In reality if the G5 was over top the plastic and you needed to remove plastic for access to another instrument, yes you would have loosen the G5s, but once they are loose you may not need to disconnect them to get the plastic free enough to accomplish your goal.

Do these need to be "Knob side down"? Or can you rotate them like the JPI 830/930 and the display self orients to "right side up"

Happy Happy Joy Joy! Talked to the local shop, he's authorized to install the G5. In fact, he's already installed some, including integration with autopilot (I don't got one) and HSI (I don't have anything to drive one). So I'll be happy to have just the AI replacement. Maybe next year, replace the DG and get rid of the vacuum system.

Do these need to be "Knob side down"? Or can you rotate them like the JPI 830/930 and the display self orients to "right side up"

The G5's orientation cannot be changed.

Happy Happy Joy Joy! Talked to the local shop, he's authorized to install the G5. In fact, he's already installed some, including integration with autopilot (I don't got one) and HSI (I don't have anything to drive one). So I'll be happy to have just the AI replacement. Maybe next year, replace the DG and get rid of the vacuum system.

Its been brought up many times, the G5s are being sold over the counter with the installation approval data. You could buy the kit from any dealer and have any mechanic/Inspection Authorization install it.

The attitude indicator is a great place to start as it is the minimum required equipment for the GFC 500 autopilot.

Its been brought up many times, the G5s are being sold over the counter with the installation approval data. You could buy the kit from any dealer and have any mechanic/Inspection Authorization install it.

The attitude indicator is a great place to start as it is the minimum required equipment for the GFC 500 autopilot.

But I didn't know if thenshop was willing to install the G5.
I just love how everyone around here loves spending other people's money and assume everyone will spend $15k and up ( waaaay up ) to install the latest & greatest in an airplane worth maybe $35k.

I just love how everyone around here loves spending other people's money and assume everyone will spend $15k and up ( waaaay up ) to install the latest & greatest in an airplane worth maybe $35k.

Hey now! I value my RV as 40% engine, 40% panel, and 20% packaging to carry them!

So funny how you get snippy about that lol.

If all you ever do is put two G5s in and dump the vacuum pump you are light years ahead of a lot of competition when you hang up the wing and sell the airplane.

The G5s are brilliant. A vacuum pump replacement is what? $600 out the door at the FBO? These instruments are gonna sell like crazy. Not only that but be hugely desirable as they are big chunk of $$$ toward a decent autopilot. Unlike the others where you have to buy gyros at the same time as the rest of the autopilot (typically).

To swap between HDG mode and GPSS you press the knob on the HSI, twist about 2 clicks right to GPSS and press in the knob. Same to go back to HDG mode.

Thank you for the video! Most I've got to see it in real world operation. One quick question...what is the procedure for going from heading mode to GPSS or vice-versa?

To swap between HDG mode and GPSS you press the knob on the HSI, twist about 2 clicks right to GPSS and press in the knob. Same to go back to HDG mode.
FWIW, I do this at least once in the video, dunno the timestamp though.

FWIW, I do this at least once in the video, dunno the timestamp though.
Sorry about that, I didn't watch it, though I will. FWIW, the question was asked after the video and I didn't see an answer.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this. I have one G5 at present and I'm looking forward to adding a G5 for HSI in the next few months.

I'm especially excited about the GAD29B for GPSS in conjunction with my GTN650. It will breathe new life into my old analog autopilot (which I feel is simply too costly to upgrade, and besides, it works pretty well as it is.)

The G5s have been really exciting for GA. Until now the only real option was Aspen, but these G5s are really the value proposition these days and really extend the panel if you're fortunate enough to be running GNS or GTN series Navigators.

You should post some more recent panel shots of your twin commanche on your site...i've enjoyed looking at those photos. That must be the nicest twin comanche I have seen ha.

You should post some more recent panel shots of your twin commanche on your site...i've enjoyed looking at those photos. That must be the nicest twin comanche I have seen ha.

Hey, thanks! Omigosh, I haven't touched that site in better than 13 years... I haven't even looked at it since 2005. I shudder to think what may still be there.

I do sometimes get email from PA-30 buyers asking for advice, since they found my airplane online.

Here's the panel as of December... really looking forward to the HSI. I'm also going to update the EDM 760 to the 790, which I'll be able to do after I get rid of the non-GS CDI. (Need to free up that hole since the 790's orientation covers up one and a half instrument holes.)

Attachments

• IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 30
How is the Course Arrow set on the G5? Is there a knob or is it automatic based upon the GPS course or ILS course from the navigator? I have never flown an HSI and I see the mechanical HSIs had a Course arrow set knob.

Back