Dual cross country before solo?

Bob, I suspect he was using "official" in the sense of "standardized for the school" rather than "imposed by the FAA."

Anyway, next week I'm suppose to do my duel cross country but someone just told me I shouldn't do that until I solo? Is that right? I didn't think it matters. I figured I would solo when my CFI thinks I'm ready (and I love my CFI, I think he is awesome!!).

Just my opinion, but no. I don't think it is a good idea. You're still learning basics. Focus on one step at a time. Cross-country flights aren't just check-marks for your logbook. You need to have the fundamentals mastered so that you can actually learn something new during your cross-country flights.

Reactions: smv
When I was an instructor, I would not have allowed it. It’s the whole “building blocks” thing for me. I always wanted the student to concentrate on the task at hand, not something down the road.
That’s one reason I didn’t even teach patterns/landings until they had all the fundamentals under control. I.E. I didn’t want questions about landings when the questions should be on stall recoveries.

Then again, my CFI (after several renewals) expired in 1996.

Back