Droid X free EFB, maps, wx - more Android apps?

On a members-only Cessna forum, someone mentioned AirWX that's $7 one-time app with no subscription fee for live weather, radar, plates, AFD info and other stuff. Please post if you've tried it. So far I'm resisting anything that isn't free, because so much is free with a browser that seems to work quite well aloft with the Droid X. I haven't actually tried that in flight, but it seems easy and reliable enough that my wife could look stuff up on her DX while I'm flying.

It's gone up. I THINK I only paid $0.99 for my copy. Whatever, it's well worth the price. I use it often when tracking weather, looking to see if the boarding agent is lying about weather being the cause of the delay and checking with the corporate shuttle pilots about the cause of a delay in getting where we're going. A heavily used app on my Droid. I can't think of any complaints, other than it doesn't cache approach plates, so if you don't have a data connection (3G or WiFi) at the time, you're out of luck. But if that isn't a problem, go for it.

heavily used app ... other than it doesn't cache approach plates
Thanks for adding your vote in favor of AirWX. I wonder whether one of the caching apps like OruxMaps could store the plates. I've just downloaded free current sectionals from PDFplates.com to see what's involved to get their stuff working on OruxMaps. Since they're already geo-referenced, maybe they'll work as-is without running them through mobac or something else first. Maybe I can just use the Files app that came with my DX to put them in the correct directory. If so, maybe their plates would also work with AirWX if you find the directory they use for online plates. So many maybes and so little time, so hopefully this thread will help save all of us some time. I'm also glad to see that they have current AFDs but haven't gotten around to getting those going on my DX.

WingX holds all the plates on the phone. You have to download them periodically. The downside is that their big advertising push is moving maps, but the fine print (which I didn't see before giving them their $99) shows that the moving map feature is not available on the Android platform. I won't be renewing.

Related subject: I download my regional (SE-x) approach plates into my Droid 2. Use the Droid as a backup to my Kindle DX. Obviously, you cannot see the whole plate on the screen but it is very clear and easy to 'read' the plate. I just update my Droid at the same time as my Kindle. (PS. This also is a great backup for when you pack your Kindle in the nose baggage compartment and don't realize it until after take off; not that I would ever do that.)

WingX ... moving map feature is not available on Android
Thanks for mentioning that! Seems like there are a few apps that haven't yet implemented full Android support and aren't completely forthcoming about it.
Update: I've just read a new post on a Grumman eList that seems to indicate WingX does now fully support Android:
http://mobile.hiltonsoftware.com/
...I thought I forgot they didn't have the full droid version yet - but they do now as mentioned on the link provided above.
Could someone with WingX check this out and report back to us whether all functions (esp. moving map) now work on Android in the latest version? According to this platform features PDF linked from their home page it doesn't (and their Market page says the last update was 10/12/10), but maybe these sources haven't caught up with the app available on their site's downloads page. If you're interested in the overall features of their app, they have another "home page" with screen shots and advertising info. Pretty chaotic website, so hopefully that's not indicative of their app programming capabilities.

I download my regional (SE-x) approach plates into my Droid
Great point about using the Droid as a backup. That's basically what I do, in that I have a gns430 and Lowrance 1000 for Jepp charts.

Question: Would anyone be willing to make a post with step by step instructions for downloading plates into Android? I could then add a link to that in the first post for this thread. Any tips on IFR uses would be helpful, and of course it would also be great to have writeups on anything else aviation related that anyone's doing with Android devices.

Last edited:
Just got a pleasant surprise: the free OruxMaps has just upgraded to version 3.4 and it's loaded with great new features, including the fix for online VFR and IFR Low & High charts. Now to explore all the changes and then take it flying...

Playing this past week
OruxMaps-Has a default map, worked well when track left on.
This weekend: Tried to make charts. The charts need to be in their format. The program convert geotiff to their format doesn't work on Win XP. I don't know if my Java VM is old or what, but the batch file just runs for a second and goes away. Downloaded a newer version this weekend (3.4).

RMaps- downloaded today. No instructions about how to download charts(where to place them), can't find their chart supplier. Removed this app after 5 minutes.

Edit: Downloaded mobile atlas creator. Nothing for geotiff files in their list; tried converting openstreetmap to orux but orux wouldn't recognize the file. The people that write this stuff really need to work on their documentation. I'm sure I can get it to work but by the time I figure it out, I could have learned Java, Droid programming, the geotiff format and write my own app.

Last edited:
mobile atlas creator. ...really need to work on their documentation.
I've to a similar conclusion, though I haven't yet fiddled with mobac. I've reverted to pre-flying a route of interest in gMaps and using the 430 & Lowrance for av charts. Sure was nice having an actual sectional rather than the av vector charts, but gMaps adds road names and lots of other stuff missing on both types of av charts.

Even tho Orux is a fantastic little app, the problem seems to be with the chart sourcing. While it has ample caching, I can't conveniently pre-fly a route because it loads so s.l.o.w.l.y. My impression is it was faster when RunwayFinder was their chart source, so maybe that will return. For now though, the latest update I downloaded from Market has eliminated av charts in the online source options so maybe they've just given up on av to focus on bike/hike where the charts aren't such a big hassle.

I've been using WingX for a while and have been quite happy with it. I don't regret the purchase, but it would definitely be more worth the $99 to me if it had a moving map feature on Android. I just updated to the 1.2 Beta version and it adds TFR information, but there is no moving map support for Android. That said, I really like the fact that I don't need data access while flying in order to use charts and look up frequencies and what not.

According to the platform comparison for WingX, moving map support is only for the iPhone and iPad: http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/PlatformFeatures.pdf

For moving map support, I have Navzilla installed on my Android device as well, and I do think it's a pretty cool application. It's unfortunate that it's not available via the market, but it does give me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I have a backup moving map aviation GPS device in case my 496 goes out.

Last edited:
John, its been about 2 months now since you tried the various apps, Are you still leaning toward RMaps over Orux?

John, its been about 2 months now since you tried the various apps, Are you still leaning toward RMaps over Orux?
After detailed mathematical analysis and exhaustive astrological consultations I've decided that there are currently no GA apps for the Droid X that are useful for me. To rephrase, in an informal review I found both the apps you mention to be unreliable and/or of limited value without a net connection aloft and unlike during my flight South from Edmonton I've had trouble getting reliable 3G aloft with my DX. Even with data, the map loading seems impaired compared with gMaps. My guess is that google understandably favors their apps when serving map tiles, and Orux seemed to have given up on VFR charts last I looked. I never did like the more limited options available on RMaps. In the end it looks like either I'll muddle along with my (ick) gns430 and the more user-friendly but no longer supported Lowrance 1000 until either there's a good (and probably fee-based) GA app for DX; I'll buy a "handheld" GA GPS replacement for the Lowrance; or I'll give in and get an iPad. Since my current setup is working well and I can still use the DX with pre-loaded gMaps and/or gEarth terrain/sat/maps, Do Nothing is probably the near-term strategy of choice. Seems to me that competition is increasing, Android is maturing, tablet options are coming, and prices are falling, so hope lives.

If anyone comes up with something new (including updates to Orux, etc.), please do post a note here because I'm following this thread. I'll of course do the same. Thanks for keeping the thread alive, Adam.

Zcheck out Naviator. Best I've seen yet.
Thanks, Nick. Would you have a minute to share what you like/dislike about Naviator?

Looks promising, but with only 1-5k installs and four reviews I'm cautious about investing the time (and $15 1-time plus $50/yr.) to check out yet another new subscription-based app. I'm glad pioneering pilots like you are doing so though, because it will help support another option that hopefully continues improving. Would be great if they added non-av map layer options too using one of the free sources Orux and RMaps use, because that's really useful sometimes and also fun for casual VFR exploration ("What's that building?" or "Which freeway is that?" etc.).

Thanks, Nick. Would you have a minute to share what you like/dislike about Naviator?

Looks promising, but with only 1-5k installs and four reviews I'm cautious about investing the time (and $15 1-time plus $50/yr.) to check out yet another new subscription-based app. I'm glad pioneering pilots like you are doing so though, because it will help support another option that hopefully continues improving. Would be great if they added non-av map layer options too using one of the free sources Orux and RMaps use, because that's really useful sometimes and also fun for casual VFR exploration ("What's that building?" or "Which freeway is that?" etc.).

You can get a 60 trail for free so you can check it out.

Its free for 60 days. Give it a try.

So far, I've got it on my phone until I can get my hands on a tablet. I'm very impressed.

What I like? Moving maps, including sectionals, l-charts, and all approach plates.

What I dislike? No plates on moving maps yet.

The cost is much less than ForeFlight (some might argue its lacking some features, but give it time). Its well worth the money from what I've seen so far.

John - I will add your post as a suggestion to them - check out the forums at "forum.naviatorapp.com." They are VERY responsive.

Its free for 60 days.
Thanks, Nick (and John T), for making sure I'd noticed that (I did). As I mentioned though, since what I now have is working passably (and I'm a bit busy - see my blog) it's great to have your impressions. Another factor is that I now tend to be a "late adopter" having previously worked in the tech industry and invested lots of time/$$ on products/services that didn't survive the test of time. I'm glad people are innovating with apps like Naviator and that they have the support of helpful pilots. If you did look at my blog, you might accurately guess that I actually could benefit greatly from finding some time to try out Naviator asap so I appreciate your encouragement.

What I like? Moving maps, including sectionals
Are the TACs moving map? That could be quite helpful to me right now.

No plates on moving maps yet.
Seems to be a common shortcoming on such apps. Maybe a legal liability issue, in case some fool does an unintentional "missed" approach in IMC?

cost is much less than ForeFlight
Seems likely it will rise to par once established, but maybe there will be more competition at some point. On the one hand, I'd like for developers to make a lot of money but on the other hand I pinch every penny to spend on flying (there's probably a snap of my current self-inflicted "haircut" on the blog somewhere, that save me the cash for a few minutes aloft per month). Speaking of frugality, I very much like what appears to be an option in Naviator subscriptions that you can buy short-term when you're on a long x/c like I am right now, then let it lapse but still have some functionality for your home airport.

Again, thanks for taking the time for a followup.

Happy Flying -j

Thanks, Nick (and John T), for making sure I'd noticed that (I did). As I mentioned though, since what I now have is working passably (and I'm a bit busy - see my blog) it's great to have your impressions. Another factor is that I now tend to be a "late adopter" having previously worked in the tech industry and invested lots of time/$$ on products/services that didn't survive the test of time. I'm glad people are innovating with apps like Naviator and that they have the support of helpful pilots. If you did look at my blog, you might accurately guess that I actually could benefit greatly from finding some time to try out Naviator asap so I appreciate your encouragement.

Are the TACs moving map? That could be quite helpful to me right now.

Seems to be a common shortcoming on such apps. Maybe a legal liability issue, in case some fool does an unintentional "missed" approach in IMC?

Seems likely it will rise to par once established, but maybe there will be more competition at some point. On the one hand, I'd like for developers to make a lot of money but on the other hand I pinch every penny to spend on flying (there's probably a snap of my current self-inflicted "haircut" on the blog somewhere, that save me the cash for a few minutes aloft per month). Speaking of frugality, I very much like what appears to be an option in Naviator subscriptions that you can buy short-term when you're on a long x/c like I am right now, then let it lapse but still have some functionality for your home airport.

Again, thanks for taking the time for a followup.

Happy Flying -j
I have a droid incredible but have not loaded it on to that platform as I think the screen is too small. I have a Nook Color that I rooted and have it running there. the 7 inch display on the nook is perfect for what I want. My biggest requirement was for the IAP and it works well for that. The other charts are a bonus for me. In my case I don't really need the moving map as I have a 530W in my plane. The next thing I need to get worked out is a bluetooth GPS so I can get the location information when the phone is not connected to the network. I have the tetherGPS app up and running but need to go flying again with it to confirm that when the phone does not have a signal then the gps won't give me the location. I'd say at this point this app will give the droid market a equivalent app to foreflight on the Ipad. It's not there yet but it's only a couple of months old so I think we need to give it time.

PS I also loaded a app called EarthNC that give nautical charts and I found it very handy while sailing with my brother last weekend.

JT, I like your idea of using it on a small format tablet like the Nook for two reasons: First, it's more readable when mounted somewhere rather than on the kneeboard the way I've used the DX. OTOH I like having it in my pocket for a convenient glance before heading to the airport, and a tablet is less convenient to pocket. Much to be said for an all-in-one device like the DX, but of course it's only passable at some tasks like moving map charts.

The other thing about a tablet is no worry about Permissions assuming it doesn't have all your contacts and datebook on it. I've been annoyed at how many apps demand intrusive and unrelated Permissions, but at least on Android you have a better chance of knowing who's doing what compared with Apple. OTOH, selling our privacy is one of the ways app developers recoup their costs so stopping that practice would probably lower overall app quality and raise prices.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences with the Nook because it's an option I've been considering if none of the upcoming Android tablets fits the bill.

Hey everyone, thanks for the encouraging words Re: Naviator. If you have any suggestions for how we can improve the app or if you need help with any issues please don't hesitate to contact us!

Cheers,
Mike @ Naviator

Last edited:
Back