Driving on a ticket is a suspension?!

L

Lead foot

When I lived in Illinois, I earned myself 2-3 speeding tickets (3-12 over, no reckless driving). A friend recently told me that the state's old process of taking your license was considered bail and forcing you to drive on a ticket was considered an arrest/suspension by the FAA. Is this true? I never reported them, and now I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

If you license was still valid, then it was not suspended. If someone had looked up your DL information, would it say that you have a license or not?

ISTM that your license isn't suspended if it's still legal to drive. It also STM that only a court can suspend your license, not roadside troopers, no matter how many of them you interact with.

OTOH, you're talking about an interface between the FAA and Illinois, neither of which is known for common sense.

When I lived in Illinois, I earned myself 2-3 speeding tickets (3-12 over, no reckless driving). A friend recently told me that the state's old process of taking your license was considered bail and forcing you to drive on a ticket was considered an arrest/suspension by the FAA. Is this true? I never reported them, and now I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

That is not correct. Your license was held pending appearance in court. No conviction was implied.

You can get pulled over for going "3" over??

That is not correct. Your license was held pending appearance in court. No conviction was implied.

Sounds like an arrest, then, if a court appearance is required. They really should teach this in drivers ed.

And yes, you can get pulled over for going 3 over. Yes, I think it's stupid, no, telling the state that isn't helpful.

Legally, you can get pulled over for 0.1 over... or even doing the posted speed limit, if the cop feels it was too fast for conditions.
Sure, happens once that's bad luck, but three times in a year?

Sure, happens once that's bad luck, but three times in a year?

Not sure where you're getting that it was over the course of a year. It was more like over 7 years, and I've learned since then. Nothing since 2010, knock on wood.

Sounds like an arrest, then, if a court appearance is required. They really should teach this in drivers ed.

I haven't lived in Chicago for many years so this info might be old. If the police in Illinois wrote 2 or more tickets to a motorist during one traffic stop, a court appearance was required. It was not an arrest, though. Also, you have to post bond for a traffic ticket. Usually, that would be giving your license to the officer, then you were "driving on a ticket." The ticket in your possession was considered your license until the ticket was resolved.

Not sure where you're getting that it was over the course of a year. It was more like over 7 years, and I've learned since then. Nothing since 2010, knock on wood.
Oh wow, that changes things dramatically. I didn't realize that getting three tickets over the course of seven years was that egregious especially if they're not reckless driving events.. in Massachusetts at least when I lived there the suspension limit was three with an 18-month span or two within a year I believe.. that's why I assumed, pardon

Oh wow, that changes things dramatically. I didn't realize that getting three tickets over the course of seven years was that egregious especially if they're not reckless driving events.. in Massachusetts at least when I lived there the suspension limit was three with an 18-month span or two within a year I believe.. that's why I assumed, pardon

I didn't anything of it until this friend mentioned it, either. I learned to drive there, and that's how things were, no one questioned it. But maybe it was just some weird Illinois thing and the FAA never needs to know. It's just hard not to err on the side of caution and worry about past omissions when someone says the S word.

Like someone said though, you're still legal to drive on the ticket, so sounds like I'm ok.

"I didn't realize that getting three tickets over the course of seven years was that egregious "

It's not. In Illinois, if you have 3 or more convictions for moving violations within a 12 month period your license can be suspended. It can also be suspended for more serious violations, like DUI, leaving the scene of personal injury accident, etc.

An arrest is a physical detention. Holding your license is not an arrest.

The last time I got a speeding ticket, I think it was 69 in a 55 on a long straight stretch of Hwy 70 near New Bern, about 1983. I'm so glad I had slowed down.

If you still have concerns, request a driving record abstract from the Illinois Secretary of State; it's like 12 bucks or something. That will show if your license was ever suspended.

I didn't anything of it until this friend mentioned it, either. I learned to drive there, and that's how things were, no one questioned it. But maybe it was just some weird Illinois thing and the FAA never needs to know. It's just hard not to err on the side of caution and worry about past omissions when someone says the S word.

Like someone said though, you're still legal to drive on the ticket, so sounds like I'm ok.
yeah I probably would not get too bent out of shape over it just based on what one friend said. Plus, it's already happened, and it's in the past.. if you're super paranoid about it you can probably find specific details on some Illinois.gov website..

I remember back in the day when some folks and some truck drivers had current DLs in more than one state....

I remember back in the day when some folks and some truck drivers had current DLs in more than one state....
I had a friend back in college who had a suspended license in Connecticut but a fully active and legit license in Massachusetts. I was told the states share data but Mass DMV when he paid the 12 bucks to get his record showed him as having a clean driving history

And yes, you can get pulled over for going 3 over. Yes, I think it's stupid, no, telling the state that isn't helpful.
An "arrest" is a restriction on your freedom of movement. A being taken into custody. Not whether or not you need to answer a charge at a later date.

An arrest is a type of detention. However, the police can detain you without arresting you. A traffic stop is such a detention. The police can also put you in handcuffs and place you in the backseat of a cruiser without making an arrest, just a detention.

If you still have concerns, request a driving record abstract from the Illinois Secretary of State; it's like 12 bucks or something. That will show if your license was ever suspended.

I tried. They've trashed the records, it's been so long.

Once all the states entered into an agreement to suspend the license if you don’t show, the practice ended.

You can get pulled over for going "3" over??
I got pulled over for going 1 over in Nebraska. On I-80, in the right lane.
First week here, going to KMLE to get checked out to rent. I still had NJ plates. Cop came to the pax window and when I rolled it down, he sticks his head in and looks in the back of my car.

Their job is not easy, their job requires respect.

Going slightly over the limit though? Especially when most cars can safely travel easily at 70-90 mph and many speed limits are set artificially low at 55 mph as a result of a 1970s oil issue.. and now states don't raise them "for the safety of the children" but really because they get great revenue.. also, most accidents are the result of distraction, under the influence, just being dumb, aggression, etc., as Jeremy Clarkson said, speed doesn't kill you

I *wish* our law enforcement spent the majority of its time doing something more productive than pulling people over for going 1-3 mph over the limit

Give. Me. A. Freaking. Break.

Their job is not easy, their job requires respect.

Going slightly over the limit though? Especially when most cars can safely travel easily at 70-90 mph and many speed limits are set artificially low at 55 mph as a result of a 1970s oil issue.. and now states don't raise them "for the safety of the children" but really because they get great revenue.. also, most accidents are the result of distraction, under the influence, just being dumb, aggression, etc., as Jeremy Clarkson said, speed doesn't kill you

I *wish* our law enforcement spent the majority of its time doing something more productive than pulling people over for going 1-3 mph over the limit

Give. Me. A. Freaking. Break.

Some people can’t handle that extra 1-3, Speed kills.

Many moons ago I saw this happening and I subscribed to AAA so that I have an effective bail bond card so I can retain my physical license. I have not had a traffic run in for quite a while but when I last looked that was NOT A SUSPENSION.

You can't be 'under arrest' if you're not in physical custody. If law enforcement wants you that bad, they'll go see a judge and explain the circumstance and the judge may issue a warrant for your arrest. Even then, until they physically have you in custody, you have not been arrested.

Also, even an order to appear in court, is not an arrest. Now if you fail to appear, there's a good chance a bench warrant will be issued and which is a 'warrant for your arrest'. Once stopped and your name & DOB is run, you'll be arrested, if you're within the jurisdiction of the warrant of if the warrant provides for extradition.

Last edited:
Legally, you can get pulled over for 0.1 over... or even doing the posted speed limit, if the cop feels it was too fast for conditions.
This. You can be pulled over for speeding no matter your speed.

This. You can be pulled over for speeding no matter your speed.

Yep. A friend of mine was pulling a small U-Haul type trailer and was doing 45 in a 65, two lane road with improved (wide) shoulder. Because it had a out of round tire. And got a ticket for impeding traffic and driving on the shoulder.

His attitude had a little to do with getting a ticket as well.

Which brings up the subject, attitude can determine whether a ticket is issued or not.

(never argue with a cop that has a tube of Preparation H sticking out of his pocket...)

I tried. They've trashed the records, it's been so long.
I'll bet dollars to donuts that the FAA can get those "trashed records" if they want them. Not all the court details mind you, but the fact that it happened for sure.

Same cop will drive a huge heavy cop SUV 40mph over to catch you lol

Logic fail

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the FAA can get those "trashed records" if they want them. Not all the court details mind you, but the fact that it happened for sure.

Which is exactly why I was trying to figure out if this was considered a suspension. But it's frustrating and wrong that a citizen can't get their own history.

which is provided for under your state’s laws.

What your point?

Making something “legal” doesn’t make it any less stupid or morally right?

Saying going 5mph over is unsafe to a guy in a vette, when you took a large SUV 50 over to catch me, is as stupid as it is transparent. Money and power marketing as safety and security.

The law is the law
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws

Good little movie on the real events of the battle of Athens
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)
It’s about law and what’s just, spoiler the two are not always the same.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back