DPEs: how firm is the >50NM rule? Would distances of 49.5NM be rounded up?

That is a story we can all learn from, and the community can appreciate that honesty. Good thing you had something else that qualifies! Thanks for sharing exactly what I wanted to know :) I thought this would have been a really short thread

As have been shared before in this thread, DPEs have high standards for themselves in being representatives of the FAA, so I’m sure they all would be sure to verify anything too close to call.
Yeah and when I say he measured, he pulled out the VFR chart-scale ruler and literally measured. I knew the first one was 49-something, but I also knew I had way more than I needed. I was honestly surprised that he did that though.

Yeah and when I say he measured, he pulled out the VFR chart-scale ruler and literally measured. I knew the first one was 49-something, but I also knew I had way more than I needed. I was honestly surprised that he did that though.

I know this thread is about DPE's but I had a DAR (experimental aircraft build) do this with me on my weight & balance & CG calculations i.e. he made me go through all the numbers and prove my answers while he watched me. Seems an aircraft he had signed off a few weeks earlier had crashed on it's maiden flight. It turned out to not be his fault (two guys in the plane ran it out of fuel & were not hurt) but he was questioned about W&B/CG of the accident airplane so he was on high alert ...

That is really good to know. I was not getting answers anywhere else and I was frustrated because I'd have to wait (while more time isn't bad it does=more money) so that id be prepared to do the mountainous airports. I appreciate knowing that it is legit
Just log it correctly. Log the repositioning flight to other airport. Then log the ORIGIN as the other airport and going to the > 50nm airport as the XC flight. If you dont log it correctly, then it can be bounced

Just log it correctly. Log the repositioning flight to other airport. Then log the ORIGIN as the other airport and going to the > 50nm airport as the XC flight. If you dont log it correctly, then it can be bounced
Makes sense, I'll make sure to log it correctly. Thanks for the tips:)

And when you arrive at the reposition airport, shut down and go into the fbo for a break or some other reason. Make it look like a reposition. -Skip
I respectfully disagree. It is not required to shutdown nor make any sort of an extended break.
Simply land at the "other" airport is all that is required. Keep the engine running, take a few moments in run-up or ramp if helpful to get anything ready for your flight requirement (such as programming GPS). Depart.

One entry in the logbook will have the reposition flight.

The subsequent entry in the logbook will have the flight for your requirement with the appropriate distance.

That is really good to know. I was not getting answers anywhere else and I was frustrated because I'd have to wait (while more time isn't bad it does=more money) so that id be prepared to do the mountainous airports. I appreciate knowing that it is legit

Be sure to tell us about your flight afterwards. Solo xc is when you start to feel like a real pilot. You will really enjoy it.

Be sure to tell us about your flight afterwards. Solo xc is when you start to feel like a real pilot. You will really enjoy it.
Will do! I'm looking forward to it. Should be going up for my xc in a week or less:)

Back