Door to door air cargo… By a private pilot??

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by NorthEast Ohio, Mar 11, 2021.

1. IK04

IK04 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    LNXGUY
    Ha ha ha ha! :idea::idea:

Hey! Look at the new guy! :sigh:

DaleB likes this.
  2. WDD

WDD Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
    What if you were in England and spent a quid for a pro go pro?

Justin M likes this.
  3. DaleB

DaleB Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    This is not an argument.

This is pure sport.

:)

Palmpilot likes this.
  4. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    I have footage of a squid I shot with a go pro.

5. jsstevens

jsstevens Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    jsstevens
    Arguments are down the hall. This is getting hit on the head lessons.

Zeldman and Palmpilot like this.
  6. DaleB

DaleB Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    No it’s not!

7. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Like I said a few pages ago, it's not necessarily illegal - We don't have the information to make a definitive determination either way, which is why we've been tossing scenarios around. But, what's important to understand is that the PILOT doesn't have to be the one being compensated for it to be illegal. Same as the example I gave with Young Eagles. If EAA chapters charged for the flight, it'd be illegal even if none of that money went to the pilot.

To me, it's more of a cautionary tale to know for damn sure what you're doing yourself to avoid going afoul of the regulations. It's great that he's making people happy and building time, but it'd be a real shame if that led to him having an FAA violation on his record keeping him from getting to the very thing he's building time for.

No. You and the beer have common purpose. :D :rofl:

8. NorthEast Ohio

NorthEast Ohio Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    NorthEast Ohio
    Maybe this is the key phrase “Common purpose”

The article states Pizza kid is flying home from college and stopping at Port Clinton airport to pick up pizzas then fly to Kelleys Island. Where is the common purpose if you’re making a special stop?

The photo from the article has kid wearing a Domino’s Pizza hat and jacket. It looks to me like an employee uniform. (A volunteer employee?)

9. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    Indeed it does.

10. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    As far as we know, no one in his local FSDO has any problem with what he's doing. Beyond that, lots of people have committed far worse sins in their past and still went on to find gainful employment in a pilot seat.

And I'm still asking the same question which no one seems to be able to answer. If what he's doing is illegal, why is it not illegal when a dad flys to pick up his kid from college? Why is it not illegal if I fly to a class bravo airport to pick up my inlaws who just flew in on Delta for a business meeting near where we live? What is it about those flights that makes them not illegal but somehow makes what this kid is doing illegal?

Kevin Eggert likes this.
  11. EdFred

EdFred Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    It's just commercial pilots bitching that they don't get paid to deliver pizzas and since he is doing it for free he stole a job from them.

12. Deelee

Deelee Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Deelee
    Every time I check back in on this thread two things happen:

a.) I remind myself I need to stop slacking and start on my commercial.
    b.) I get hungry for pizza.

13. Lindberg

Lindberg En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lindberg
    I feel like there are still people commenting who haven't read the article. The kid flys home to the island every week. He offered island residents to bring over some food on his regular flights if they place orders to mainland restaurants. He's not "time building" and he's not "running a delivery service." He's just going home.

Kevin Eggert, Palmpilot and Half Fast like this.
  14. LoLPilot

LoLPilot Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    LoLPilot
    I really hate it when gov't writes laws that read "if we wanna get you we will get you," which is exactly what this is. If we are talking accumulation of flight time and goodwill as benefits, and the pilot doesn't have to be the one receiving them, let's look at the following scenarios.

• A private pilot is building hours towards his commercial and needs to do some cross country flying. He has a XC route that he flies to build hours but is getting bored of it. He calls up two of his buddies and says "Hey want to fly from Chicago to Kansas City for BBQ?" And they say "sure how about Saturday?" The pilot wasn't planning on going flying Saturday, but it sounds like a fun trip and his friends are excited to go flying so he readily agrees. Even if the friends pay nothing for the flight and they have separate checks at dinner, it could be interpreted that the pilot held out and received compensation according to the way that the reg is written.
    • Next our pilot is on a dating site and he matches with someone. Of course, on his second message he throws out the phrase that he knows every lady wants to hear: "I'm a pilot." So of course our young romantic takes the fair lady for a jaunt through the evening skies. And if you can say with a straight face that our pilot is not hoping for... goodwill... then I will NEVER play poker with you.

15. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    The commercial is definitely worth getting IMO even if you never intend to fly for dollars. That being said and I'm sure you already know this but its worth mentioning for those who don't know, just getting a commercial cert will not enable a pilot to legally hold out for on-demand flights carrying pax or boxes for compensation.

And yes, every day is a good day for pizza. :D

16. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    My first date with my wife I flew to an airport near where she lived, picked her up and flew her to another airport for lunch. I was definitely hoping for some, ahem, 'goodwill'.

Palmpilot and LoLPilot like this.
  17. WDD

WDD Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    But. What about him not having a health inspection permit? Is he following appropriate cultural sensitivity protocols? Are we sure the local sales taxes are accounted for where he delivers to? Has he provided the appropriate environmental impact study?

LoLPilot likes this.
  18. Deelee

Deelee Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Deelee
    Yep, I'm definitely aware of that. But what about a pilot not having a commercial license who is just carrying boxes of fresh, hot delicious pizza to some island where they can't get aforementioned fresh, hot, delicious pizza.... great now I want pizza for lunch.

19. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    Associating with person or persons known to be lacking in character (reporters).

Half Fast, DaleB and Doc Holliday like this.
  20. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    I was under the impression that the common-purpose doctrine only applied to expense-sharing flights.

His wearing of Domino's attire is a bad idea because it makes him LOOK like an employee, regardless of the reality of the situation. On the other hand, if they gave him the hat and jacket to keep, that could be considered compensation I suppose.

All of this is just my non-expert opinion, of course.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  21. Palmpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    That principle was obvious to me thirty years ago!

LoLPilot likes this.
  22. Palmpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    I wonder if he's accepting tips? :devil:

23. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast

Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities? Yeah, that might be compensation.....

Palmpilot likes this.
  24. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Because dad is paying for the flight himself, and nobody else is being compensated for the flight.

Because you are paying for the flight yourself, and nobody else is being compensated for the flight.

*IF* the pizza place is being compensated for the flight (ie a delivery fee) then it is compensation or hire, even if the kid isn't being paid.

Absolutely. Comm-ASEL is the most fun rating I've done so far, and the multi isn't bad either if burning money doesn't faze you.

I never intended to fly for dollars, but I've gotten some cool one-time opportunities because of it, and then (a decade after getting the commercial) I somehow ended up flying for dollars. Funny how life works sometimes.

25. Morgan3820

Morgan3820 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Reno
    So while we’re on the topic. I’ve always wondered if I fly to Pik n Pig with a friend where I pay for everything but bring home a barbecue plate for the wife and later that night I get rewarded for my thoughtfulness ;), is that considered unlawful compensation?

26. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast

Yes.

27. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    I would agree with this *IF* John Q Public placed the order with the pizza place for delivery to John Q Public's address on the island. If John Q Public ordered a pizza for delivery to Ace 'Boy-Wonder' Pilot at BFE Regional Airport, then the pizza place charged for what they provided and nothing more.

By your logic, if I mention to a friend that I'm going to Ocean City, MD for some T&G's and my friend says hey I'd love some crab cakes, I'm a-ok if I park, walk to the crab cakes joint and pick them up and then walk back to the airport. But if I order a grub-hub to bring the crab cakes to meet me at the airport, I'm suddenly a part 135 operation because the grub-hub guy got paid. You show me an FAA that would bother to pursue a case like that and I'll show you an FAA that's in need of drastic budget cuts.

Kevin Eggert likes this.
  28. Morgan3820

Morgan3820 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Reno
    Someone should report me to the FAA, for repeated, willful violations.

29. DaleB

DaleB Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    Part of that could depend on how exactly she rewards you, and what state you live in.

Juliet Hotel likes this.
  30. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Half Fast

They’d never believe it.

:D

Cykoguy likes this.
  31. Hang 4

Hang 4 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hang 4
    If he lands, eats a pizza, flies home and takes a crap - has he delivered a pizza? If he could have crapped at the airport, but held it until the island, is that holding out? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cykoguy, PaulS, Palmpilot and 2 others like this.
  32. WDD

WDD Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doesn’t part of the FAA language on this include the phrase “holding out”?

PaulS likes this.
  33. Dana

Dana Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    Only if she's "holding out"... for "compensation"...

34. flyingcheesehead

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Hey, the FAA doesn't want your wife to be the one to fsck you, they want to do it themselves. :rofl:

I can agree with that.

The last thing the FAA needs is budget cuts. They're already incredibly short-staffed. Our primary operations inspector is 500 miles away despite there being a FSDO literally across the street. They may need to be better at focusing their attention on the things that matter the most, but that's not going to be helped by cutting their budget even more than it already is.

But, I think that without someone reporting something, nothing at all happens these days. Getting oneself on the front page of the local news definitely increases the chances that they'll be reported for something though...

35. PaulS

PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    This thread has made me lol. I don't know what possessed this kid to talk to the press, but I hope he doesn't end up regretting it. Anyone thinking about complaining to the FAA about this kid needs to get a life.

flyingcheesehead and LoLPilot like this.
  36. GroundPointSeven

GroundPointSeven Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    GroundPointSeven
    Regulated carriers have their own FAA teams assigned to them that they interface with regularly. GA is separate from that.

As long as someone makes the FAA aware of this, then they will look into it. They are required by congressional mandate to investigate any safety or regulatory matters brought to their attention.