Door to door air cargo… By a private pilot??

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by NorthEast Ohio, Mar 11, 2021.

1. GaryM

GaryM Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gary M
    A lot of private pilots fly a lot of Santa Clauses into small airports every December. Are they risking certificate action (Gawd, I hope not).

What about a charity event like the Tangier Holly Run? http://www.tangierhollyrun.com

These holiday events often have hot chocolate and cookies for the pilots, and retailers are selling the presents that get transported. Could be considered 'compensation' in the FAAs alternate universe.

2. bflynn

bflynn Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    Returning from a trip several years ago, I stopped in my elderly mother's home town, got gas, and had lunch at one of her old haunts. Then I brought her favorite sandwich home, which she paid me back for. Does anyone think that's outside the rules?

For the original pilot, other than having a larger group of people, what's the difference?

3. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    The way some of you guys are reading the regulations there is no way to use an airplane as a private pilot. Every flight would have to be solo going somewhere to be alone and never spend any money allowing a third party to benefit.

4. DaleB

DaleB Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    I have offered to carry kids, for free, on my own dime, out of the goodness of my heart and to build time. The event was even advertised. Someone brought donuts for the pilots (and other volunteers). Heck, a couple of years ago I offered to ferry people between two airports for free, because flooding had cut off land routes and people needed to get home, or to work. I flew 12 legs that day and carried 10 people.

If I violated regulations in those instances, I suppose I'm in good company.

Kent Wien likes this.
  5. Juliet Hotel

Juliet Hotel En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Juliet Hotel
    The kid flys home from college every Friday. He's making that flight whether anyone orders any food or not. I've no idea if that will make a difference to the FAA but I suspect that's why he believes he's within the regs.

If I mention to a friend that I'm going to fly to Connecticut to visit family this weekend and he says he has to attend a funeral near where I'm going on Saturday, is it illegal for me to ask him if he'd like to fly with me no charge instead of driving himself out and back since I'm going that way anyway? Is it illegal for me to say yes if he asks if he can tag along since I'm going that way anyway? Is a common purpose for the flight required in order for a private pilot to have passengers and/or packages in the plane with them?

6. Velocity173

Velocity173 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    I seriously doubt the FAA is going to go after this kid but the FAA really needs to clarify the new 61-142. Based on their examples he did nothing wrong but they need to add a third party compensation example as well. I don’t like the last two sentences in the Compensation paragraph.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    The problem becomes every time a rule is clarified, the internet lawyers start looking for work arounds and "what if's". The regulation in itself is very simple, but this thread will go on for page after page of how the peanut gallery will say it's illegal.

And give it enough time someone will post the picture of the Kings with their hands up, or someone will shout "But Bob Hoover!!" o_O

1SGBrokePilot, Pilawt, 3393RP and 5 others like this.
  8. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    Lots of flights occur in the "gray". As long as you stay out of the headlines no one notices or cares. Draw attention to yourself, the FAA notices.

Doc Holliday and Racerx like this.
  9. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    They aren't offering these services to the public.

10. GaryM

GaryM Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gary M
    True, though they are advertised to the public, and goods are being delivered...and in some cases, kids can submit requests for specific presents they'd like to receive, and the charity tries to fulfill the requests.

I wouldn't lose sleep worrying about an enforcement action if I were involved in these charitable activities, I just see some parallels to the one raised in the original post.

11. Brad Z

Brad Z Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    Pilots and paws pilots are offering their services to fly animals for whoever to wherever. And Pilots n Paws as an organization usually has nothing to do with those flights.

Pilots and rescue people post on public websites their respective availability and needs, and then connect to make the flight.

You’re misinterpreting the FAA’s guidance.

12. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    Every Young Eagles flight I've ever done was advertised to the public. If they aren't advertised no one would show up. According to some you sons of silly persons every Young Eagle pilot there's ever been has been in violation the regs.

X3 Skier and DaleB like this.
  13. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    Compensation is payment received from someone other than oneself. If you pay for the flight hours yourself, it's not compensation.

X3 Skier likes this.
  14. Brad Z

Brad Z Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    Since young eagles flights take off and land at the same airport, and no one is being transported from place to place, would it even be considered common carriage even if they did charge money?

But I understand and agree with your point.

15. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    Exactly, its the "free" flight hours that becomes the issue. If you are incurring the expenses of the flight, you can do almost anything.

16. Palmpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    "Will" be returned, or "could" be returned? If a theoretical possibility of receiving something in return were enough, that would make all charity flying illegal.

In the case where the goodwill concept was introduced, the reason to expect future employment from the business was more than theoretical.

17. Palmpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    That would be true if Angel Flight were operating under an FAA exemption, but I don't think they are.

For example, CAP does hold an FAA exemption, which has to be periodically renewed. (Last I heard, this has expired, which limits what types of missions CAP private pilots can fly until the exemption gets renewed again.)

18. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    This thread reminds me of something....

[​IMG]

:lol::lol:

3393RP likes this.
  19. TrueCourse

TrueCourse Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    TrueCourse
    All of this back and forth and interpretations of regulation demonstrates the weakness of some regulations. The intent of a regulation, can be simple. It's application across various scenarios is complex. This young pilot is definitely "holding out" the services of his airplane, but whether anyone is being compensated or not is yet to be determined. I'm sure the restaurants have increased business as a result of this.

The AC 61-142, "..applies to pilots exercising private pilot privileges who wish to share the costs of operating an aircraft during a flight with passengers", so it can't be the sole source when trying to figure this stuff out. Pizzas aren't passengers and they aren't sharing the cost of the flight. Whether he is transporting goods as a common carrier is another. This conversation would usually take place between the attorneys considering violations or legal action, so it is a bit humorous to read pilots debating it.

I sure hope the FAA spends more time monitoring regulated carriers and prosecuting unregulated carriers than chasing after this guy to determine if he had a pizza slice as compensation.

20. Brad Z

Brad Z Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    I have no doubt they are, but it only takes one internet junior aviation safety inspector to file a hotline complaint that compels the FAA to investigate. Hopefully this doesn't become one of those "why we can't have nice things" situations.

X3 Skier, bflynn, Palmpilot and 2 others like this.
  21. Todd82

Todd82 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Todd
    Assuming he's not getting some under the table payments...

How is this any different than flying to a fly in where they offer cheaper gas or a free hot dog for the folks who fly in? A discount on gas is a tangible benefit with a defined value.

IF he's taking under the table payments then there are FAA and IRS issues.

22. Doc Holliday

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    And what if he has mob connections? What if he removed the tag from his mattress??

Pilawt and Lindberg like this.
  23. Todd82

Todd82 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Todd
    Mob connections? He's going to Kelley's Island not Rattlesnake Island. ;)

bluesky74656 likes this.
  24. PaulS

PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    Or, what if he had something added to his "permanent record" in high school?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  25. Todd82

Todd82 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Todd
    Yinz misinterpreted me. I'm saying he's doing nothing wrong as it's presented in the article. But everyone knows under the table work isn't necessarily legal, regardless of flying.

26. WDD

WDD Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
    I think we’re looking at an intranational smuggling operation here.

And the money being donated to charity as a result of all of this? This must be stopped at all costs.

The FBO that makes money selling gas? That’s for profit? Sounds commercial to me - Must be banned !

guzziguy likes this.
  27. Clip4

Clip4 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    http://www.angelflightne.org/images/pdfs/faa_exemptionno10360.pdf

28. kayoh190

kayoh190 Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    Not quite old enough to remember, but did we argue and do this much pearl clutching in the days of CompuServe and usenet? ;)

Kent Wien, Justin M, bflynn and 2 others like this.
  29. IK04

IK04 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    LNXGUY
    This is all BS. Who is injured by a pilot carrying people or "cargo" when no compensation is made or earned?

Who or what is being "protected" by these legal requirements and tests? No commercial operation would survive by holding out such trivial services, so these regulations are just a nuisance.

Maybe its time to flush the CFR and start over?

guzziguy likes this.
  30. Country Flier

Country Flier Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    CFL
    I flew to Sporty's the other day, and before leaving, I asked my flying friends if they wanted anything. I picked up a case of oil and filter for one, and a new LED landing light for another. Since they both reimbursed me for the purchases (and Sporty's profited), guess I'd better go turn myself in now. LOL

31. Doc Holliday

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    Maybe it's time for people to use common sense?;)

Pilawt and Palmpilot like this.
  32. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Not necessarily. Two things *could* make it illegal:

1) If the pizza place charged a delivery fee (regardless of whether or not it was paid to the pilot)
    2) If there was no other method of transportation by which the pizza could have been delivered.

Free flight hours is only one issue. Remember, it doesn't have to be the pilot receiving compensation.

33. ateamer

ateamer Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ateamer
    The only people saying it’s illegal are a few commenters on here speculating about what might happen (what they hope happens so they have something to complain about?). There is no indication that the FAA or anyone else cares.

Lindberg and Doc Holliday like this.
  34. Brad Z

Brad Z Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    I would go as far to say that the pizza place could charge delivery costs associated with delivering the pizza to the airport.

35. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    You can't force bureaucrats that are immune to prosecution or suits to use common sense. That is the root of the problem.

36. Doc Holliday

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    It's not the bureaucrats being discussed. It's the wild interpretations coming from the peanut gallery.

AKiss20, RyanB, DaleB and 3 others like this.
  37. schmookeeg

schmookeeg Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mike Brannigan
    I'm reading a lot of talk about the compensation part of the equation, but isn't this kid able to get burned by the "or hire" part of the reg?

Aren't these people "hiring him" (for no pay) to carry cargo?

...setting aside the practical matter of whether the FAA has time to meddle with this.

38. Palmpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
  39. Palmpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    YES!!! :D

40. Palmpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    The same could be said about us Internet posters! :)

Doc Holliday likes this.