Door Dash ?

Mxfarm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Marc
My wife and I are getting ready to take trip, leaving Sunday and returning Wednesday to Natchez, MS. We'll be flying and staying @ a B&B. Since we'll be flying we'll have no wheels, other than the bicycle I'm taking to ride the Trace.

So all of that said, has anyone used Door Dash and how do they rate for getting meals to you? Any other of these 'services' we should consider?

marc

Door dash user. They do the job of delivery fine enough. They don’t prep anything and if there’s a problem with the order, it’s not their fault.

ETA: don’t assume the restaurant knows to include utensils or napkins in your order unless you specify it in the note. Even then, the restaurant may screw it up.

Grubhub is a competitor.

iu

There is also Uber Eats (as in the picture).

I think many drivers drive for more than one.

Most restaurants now, have a Delivery button and they will pick the one that prefer.

I carry basic utensils in my bag. A habit from many trips to 3rd world countries.

DoorDash / GrubHub / UberEats, all reliable when there are restaurants available. When I lived downtown I survived on those services for years.

Though I would strongly recommend downloading the app ahead of time and setting your lodging location as the address you're staying at before you count on using that for food.

There are a lot of smaller cities + areas that DoorDash doesn't service / doesn't have many restaurant choices (unless you want Mcdonalds!). For instance, I just loaded up GrubHub and plugged a Natchez, MS address into the app and it says there are no food options in the area.

I just dropped a valid Natchez, MS delivery address in DoorDash and about 15 options came up from a Wendys to a local BBQ joint w/970 4.5+ star reviews.

I just dropped a valid Natchez, MS delivery address in DoorDash and about 15 options came up from a Wendys to a local BBQ joint w/970 4.5+ star reviews.
Glad to see that. I used a business address with GrubHub and I got 0 results!

They will do in a pinch but they are expensive and by the time you get the meal it's soggy/cold unless you get something fairly close by and that's their only stop. I'd rather Uber to a restaurant than have the food uber to me.

It's hit or miss. I feel like I've hit the lottery when I find a restaurant on Doordash that has good food that is also still hot when it arrives.

We flew from Canada down to Florida for the winter and don't have a ride here. I rent a car occasionally to discover the area but for the most part, we're bound to where ever our feet will take us from the house, hence we pretty much rely on DoorDash for warm meals and Instacart for grocery and household items shopping. It's works well if the app has a large network of restaurants in the area, which is the case here where we are. We once stayed in a small town in Illinois once and DoorDash only had like 4 restaurants signed up there - obviously things got old real fast. Here in Florida though, we have hundreds of restaurants to choose from every day. If you order often, get the monthly subscription for $10. It'll save you at least that much in delivery fees, most likely even more. In the past month, we saved $60 in delivery fees because of the $10 subscription - but we're heavy DoorDash users, ordering 1-2 times a day.

and by the time you get the meal it's soggy/cold unless you get something fairly close by and that's their only stop.
It's hit or miss. I feel like I've hit the lottery when I find a restaurant on Doordash that has good food that is also still hot when it arrives.
I would think that problem predates app-based food delivery.

Yes, going to the restaurant and eating there is better.

But delivery is no different that you going and picking up the carry out and driving it home.

As for it not being warm, that is why they developed microwave ovens. :D

Get several services downloaded and setup (DoorDash, UberEats, Grubhub) - many restaurants are serviced by multiple apps, but the offered options do vary by app.

They will do in a pinch but they are expensive and by the time you get the meal it's soggy/cold unless you get something fairly close by and that's their only stop. I'd rather Uber to a restaurant than have the food uber to me.
We’ll have check on this :)

My daughter has done some driving for DoorDash and UberEats.

The amount the service pays the driver is pretty low. If an order doesn't have a descent tip, no driver is going to accept it. She gets a notification of a trip which pays $x.xx, including tip, that will require x miles of driving. The driver's decide whether or not to accept an order based on the pay vs. distance. Orders with a poor pay/miles ratio will sit at the restaurant with no drivers accepting it.

My wife and I are getting ready to take trip, leaving Sunday and returning Wednesday to Natchez, MS. We'll be flying and staying @ a B&B. Since we'll be flying we'll have no wheels, other than the bicycle I'm taking to ride the Trace.

So all of that said, has anyone used Door Dash and how do they rate for getting meals to you? Any other of these 'services' we should consider?

Millions of people every week use DoorDash, among with Uber Eats, GrubHub, Postmates, etc.

No offense intended, but in 2022, this is about like asking if anyone's heard of Facebook. Not everyone has, but these apps are surely well within the mainstream. If you're going to use only infrequently, the difference in fees isn't as significant as choosing based on what restaurants in the area use each. And most have a website so you don't have to install the app if you don't want to. Many chains now also have their own apps and offer delivery.

And every Airbnb I've ever stayed at has had dishes and utensils.

You can always Uber or Lyft your way towards food, if an option there. On the way back hit the grocery store before calling for the ride, snacks for the room.

Keep your eyes peeled, not to hard to bum a ride, $10-20 for gas contribution.

My daughter has done some driving for DoorDash and UberEats.

The amount the service pays the driver is pretty low. If an order doesn't have a descent tip, no driver is going to accept it. She gets a notification of a trip which pays $x.xx, including tip, that will require x miles of driving. The driver's decide whether or not to accept an order based on the pay vs. distance. Orders with a poor pay/miles ratio will sit at the restaurant with no drivers accepting it.

Ya the apps pocket a lot of the money. Go on Google maps type in the restaurant, usually it shows the delivery options. You’ll see either the restaurants website, or other services you haven’t heard of before, if it’s an option it usually shows up.

I'm not poo pooing delivery services, they serve a want for people willing to pay extra, but I can't see myself using them.

Back