Donut Etiquette

But this is a new topic, it's cookies which are a whole different food group.

Since when has topic drift been shunned on the POA?

Someone at work really caused a disturbance in the force the other day. Somebody brought in a bunch of cherry tomatoes and set them right where we save space for donuts. Pretty much everyone made comments about 'donut holes', but they actually did slowly disappear throughout the day.

Around the holidays we normally get a few Hickory Farms type sausage and cheese platters which wind up on the break room table. When those show up it's game on for me. Donuts and cookies I can pass up. But a couple days ago someone brought in a couple pies - one apple and the other pecan. It was agonizing staring at that pecan pie, but I managed to hold off. I would probably hold off on the cherry tomatoes unless they were accompanied with some sort of dip or spread.

Hey now, Hawaiian pizza is my favorite: ham, pineapple, and tomatoes.

Some people are in to those things - if you like it, it works I guess. To me pineapple is a sugary dessert, and a meat topped pizza is a main course. I like the two tastes but not together at all. One of my favorite pizzas (back in the day when I could still eat those things) is just a pure Canadian bacon topped pizza, which is your Hawaiian pizza without the pineapples.

I almost did breakfast this morning, then remembered I have to take some people to lunch. Good thing I checked myself.

Someone at work really caused a disturbance in the force the other day. Somebody brought in a bunch of cherry tomatoes and set them right where we save space for donuts. Pretty much everyone made comments about 'donut holes', but they actually did slowly disappear throughout the day.
Observe that (most likely) no one fractionated the cherry tomatoes.

It is well known that sugar is detrimental to human health. Still, we are: a) social creatures and have a deep need to eat with groups; and b) highly attracted to sugar because of its tastiness.

Thus, to take a "bite" of a cookie or donut to experience commensality, and to enjoy at least a small taste of a food that we know is toxic to our bodies, makes perfect sense.

You don't see people shaving bits off broccoli and carrot sticks from the communal veggie tray, because vegetables aren't perceived as toxic by most people, so they feel no need to reduce the amount eaten.

Glad to help clear this up. :rofl:

Around the holidays we normally get a few Hickory Farms type sausage and cheese platters which wind up on the break room table. When those show up it's game on for me.

I've been bringing in venison sausage to work the past few weeks in the hopes that I will need more space in the fridge from a successful hunting season this year. It goes much faster than donuts in my office.

I had to Google "commensality." I'm pretty much indifferent when it comes to eating with groups. I find it disadvantageous during breakfast or lunch because you're stuck with a group of people for a period that is often substantially longer than your supply of food allows. Dinner is a different story as it gives you an excuse to drink more plus there is generally more food floating around the table than otherwise.

I wouldn't put it past our people to quarter cherry tomatoes but point well taken, veggies don't seem to get the same treatment. I have a slightly different take on it though - veggies are less desirable than donuts and certainly not sought after, therefore it's a waste of time to fractionate a tomato or a broccoli as a means of inflicting pain or spite on a fellow coworker.

I've been bringing in venison sausage to work the past few weeks in the hopes that I will need more space in the fridge from a successful hunting season this year. It goes much faster than donuts in my office.

As does the Elk sausage in our office when it shows up.

OMFG! You brought non-FDA approved foodstuffs into the safe and secure workplace environment?! Someone call OSHA!!

Next you'll be bringing in raw milk, you terrorist!!!

ROFL!

Just don't buy donuts . . . no one cuts danishes in half.

OMFG! You brought non-FDA approved foodstuffs into the safe and secure workplace environment?! Someone call OSHA!!

Next you'll be bringing in raw milk, you terrorist!!!

ROFL!

Let them charge me. Since I'm in charge of processing all new federal arrests this month, I'll be taking my own fingerprints.

No one SHOULD cut Danishes, but these people do.

You need to change jobs.

Years ago, we had a big customer come in so our sales department loaded up the conference room with a huge tray of assorted donuts. Just as the customer got to our lobby, someone noticed the donuts were covered with ants (we had a bad problem back then with ant infestations). They quickly removed the donuts and put them out on the shop floor for our machinists. Those guys just brushed of the "moving sprinkles" and destroyed those donuts.

Don't put the knife out, then they won't be able to cut them.

Ok, that's it - I'm picking up two dozen maple bars for my staff on the way in. I hope you're all happy :)

Forgot where I was going here. Oops.

Last edited:
Okay, just when I thought it was going to stop. Someone brings in a single chocolate croissant, cuts it in to eight pieces, then eats one.

Attachments

• IMG_2288.JPG
    IMG_2288.JPG
    993 KB · Views: 31
You should take a bite out of each of the 7 remaining pieces.

Okay, just when I thought it was going to stop. Someone brings in a single chocolate croissant, cuts it in to eight pieces, then eats one.

So, have we determined that the person was nice to do this or not nice?

I think it could go either way.

Yeah, better than just taking a bite and leaving the rest!

Yeah, I don't know. I suspect the intention is good but it just missed the mark. It's sort of like giving the little girl next door a bunny rabbit.

In a pot of boiling water.

There obviously needs to be a coordinated training and counseling activity to properly orient staff. It probably needs to be an annual activity.

There obviously needs to be a coordinated training and counseling activity to properly orient staff. It probably needs to be an annual activity.

Most definitely. I assure you our oriental staff frowns on the practice.

As someone who is notorious for eating half a donut I would tell you that I just don't want a whole donut. I have never given much consideration to what happens to the other half. The reality is most of the time I go back 20 minutes later and eat it. But hey, my theory is that the extra calories burned with two trips offsets eating the whole thing so in the end it's like eating a quarter donut. :yikes:

As someone who is notorious for eating half a donut I would tell you that I just don't want a whole donut. I have never given much consideration to what happens to the other half. The reality is most of the time I go back 20 minutes later and eat it. But hey, my theory is that the extra calories burned with two trips offsets eating the whole thing so in the end it's like eating a quarter donut. :yikes:

As much as I cannot relate to you, I appreciate for once hearing from the other side.

Now that we are in 2015, will there be Donut Etiquette reform this year or will things remain the same?

David

Now that we are in 2015, will there be Donut Etiquette reform this year or will things remain the same?

David

I suspect the same culinary mutilators will find more creative and insidious ways of mangling confections. I wouldn't doubt it if they cut themselves for fun.

I suspect the same culinary mutilators will find more creative and insidious ways of mangling confections. I wouldn't doubt it if they cut themselves for fun.

Don't let them near your tri-tip!

David

Do donuts have a grain I should cut across?

I surely do not know the answer to your question, but I think it might matter if the donuts are fried or baked and how thick they are. So many variables to account for.

David

I surely do not know the answer to your question, but I think it might matter if the donuts are fried or baked and how thick they are. So many variables to account for.

David

I suppose filled or not, and filling type could also affect the issue. oooo... there is a new question for the OP, does cutting a filled pastry in half bother you more than a non-filled?

I suppose filled or not, and filling type could also affect the issue. oooo... there is a new question for the OP, does cutting a filled pastry in half bother you more than a non-filled?

Zero. Just as wrong. I like filled donuts better than non filled but I treat each donut equally.

By the way I cant eat donuts. I have celiac disease. I ate them as a kid but not now.

Zero. Just as wrong. I like filled donuts better than non filled but I treat each donut equally.

By the way I cant eat donuts. I have celiac disease. I ate them as a kid but not now.

I actually have a tendency to not cut filled donuts as it gets messy. Not eating donuts would probably do us all some good, it's just unfortunate your path wasn't by choice. My wife bakes for several friends that have Celiac's there is a whole cupboard of supplies that I am not allowed to so much as look in.

I actually have a tendency to not cut filled donuts as it gets messy. Not eating donuts would probably do us all some good, it's just unfortunate your path wasn't by choice. My wife bakes for several friends that have Celiac's there is a whole cupboard of supplies that I am not allowed to so much as look in.

I cannot flaw that logic. And Godspeed to your wife that would accommodate Celiacs.

David

There's always hope.

Bring in a dozen Krispy Kreme's from when the "Hit Dinuts" sign is flashing, it's physically impossible to cut them, they just collapse. Warm, soft, sugary paradise! Just had some last week . . .

There's always hope.

Bring in a dozen Krispy Kreme's from when the "Hit Dinuts" sign is flashing, it's physically impossible to cut them, they just collapse. Warm, soft, sugary paradise! Just had some last week . . .

I like that a lot.

Back