Don't be a d**k, like me.

mtuomi

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
dera
Sorry anyone at KLVK a few days ago. Taxi out of the hangars, crossing a road (where obviously cars give way to moving aircraft). This also is the line for non-movement area. So I call ground.
And I call ground.
And I call tower.
And I call again.

And then I realize the button is a damn autopilot release, not PTT.

Felt a bit stupid after that.

I blathered on the wrong frequency. Plenty of people noticed including the controller. I felt stupid.

Jerk. I can't believe you are still certificated. Haha.

Happens to us all in one way or another.

Sorry anyone at KLVK a few days ago. Taxi out of the hangars, crossing a road (where obviously cars give way to moving aircraft). This also is the line for non-movement area. So I call ground.
And I call ground.
And I call tower.
And I call again.

Why do you feel stupid? Laugh it off man. You think you're the on'y one who has f*#@&ed up? Oh I could tell ya some stories.

Hah I called for taxi clearance on the Tower freq, and the controller told me nicely that I was on tower. When I called up for take off clearance he replied "N1234A, Welcome back". Most of those guys have a good sense of humor.

Flying into ATL once as an FO I did the arrival PA to the passengers on ATL approach frequency, and after I finished the controller (Smiley for those familiar) transmitted "Acee 1234 thanks for that totally useless information". Looked over at the Capt and he's laughing his arse off.

I landed at 7fl6 the other day and nobody on CTAF responded. So I kept broadcasting position calls.

After pulling off the runway, I noticed I was on COMM2 instead of COMM1. So I was broadcasting to KOMN ATIS! But we were too far away to hear it so I just assumed nobody was on frequency.

I considered filing a NASA report, but I really don't think anyone noticed. And even if they did, the people at Spruce Creek are pretty loose and many go NORDO.

BTDT. Except I did it in the air, during my G1000 transition. Damn there are a lot of buttons on that yoke.

No busts, just a repeat statement from NorCal. They don't like it when you don't acknowledge traffic calls.

No problem as long as you didn't bust the movement area.

I've done that! But in my defense it only happened in the first flights after the AP button was installed. I was playing with the CWS (Control Wheel Steering) mode and then when I needed to talk I hit the same button instead of PTT.

Next time pay attention to the side tone you're hearing. That's my best clue that I'm on the wrong the switch. Of course looking at the radio to see a life affirming T works just as well.

I landed at 7fl6 the other day and nobody on CTAF responded. So I kept broadcasting position calls.

After pulling off the runway, I noticed I was on COMM2 instead of COMM1. So I was broadcasting to KOMN ATIS! But we were too far away to hear it so I just assumed nobody was on frequency.

I considered filing a NASA report, but I really don't think anyone noticed. And even if they did, the people at Spruce Creek are pretty loose and many go NORDO.

No need for ASRS unless you think there is an actionable safety issue. What you did is not a violation of anything but convention, and it's hard to see what could be done to prevent another mistake like that.

Shocking news! You think controllers haven't done this? I've witnessed it, but of course I never did that. :cool::D

Me neither, I'm perfect. ;)

Departure frequency here is 125.1, there are a LOT of dyslexic pilots who call departure on guard.

That's an interesting one. How many times has someone in the pattern that seemed NORDO that we may have called an idiot actually been on CTAF while we broadcasted on and listened to the wrong freq? And never knew?

Lesson for me - if I don't hear that idiot in the pattern I better double check my radios,

I don't think anyone could top the guy with a stuck mic going on and on about all the FA's he wanted to shtupp.

I just felt bad because I kept 2 cars waiting for like 5 minutes for no obvious reason :)

Stuff happens. Remind me to tell you which direction you're supposed to push the trigger switch in an ATR-42 for intercom vs transmit sometime...

No controllers or other aircraft were harmed making this film, and they apparently liked the joke I was telling judging by the laughter on frequency at 2AM somewhere over north Texas...

Well.....everyone knows that 5 out of 4 pilots are dyslexic.....
And 89.7 percent of statistics are made up on the spot.

I like to tell my golfing buddies that "between the two of us, Tiger Woods and I have won 14 major championships." :D

I was adjusting my intercom volume one day... and for some reason I pressed the PTT button to speak on my intercom which is voice activated, keying up on LA center. Fortunately I didn't say anything crazy.

And it seems like every fourth flight I manage to forget to flip flop after entering my next frequency. Fortunately I can hear on the radio that I'm not the only idiot who does that. Lol

Yep, my best tower calls are always to the ground frequency! (I'm getting better as the hours build.)

And I call ground.
And I call tower.
And I call again.

Stuff Happens!!!

I picked up my kids at a busy towered airport. After taking off I told the kids I had sandwiches for them if they were hungry. By mistake I was saying that as I held down the PTT button. After releasing the button the Towel said they would like a sandwich too!!!:)

Shocking news! You think controllers haven't done this? I've witnessed it, but of course I never did that. :cool::D

Yup. When they started recording position relief briefings, the first time I did it, in addition to pushing the button on the console I pushed the transmit button and the whole thing went out over the air. It was busy and it was a long one. I had thrown in a couple not quite so professional comments

Do you guys have to use the magic words, "I assume the (position) position" at the end of the brief?

I've had that happen except it was the right button, wrong frequency.

You needed that voice that talks back to you on the radio <sarcastically in monotone> "You're pressing the wrong button (sigh)"

I've gotten pretty good at looking for the "Tx" light whenever I key the mic. Only took me a few hundred blown calls to get in that habit. Luckily, they're all next to the frequency readout on the radios I use.

The nice thing about my airplane now is that the mic jack is pretty tight. So half the time after I start up, I key up, transmit, and it never goes out. Which is fortunate since usually my first call after starting up is a freaking trainwreck. So it gives me a practice call... then I realize the plug didn't seat properly and my next call is usually pretty good.

Been there...

"Skylane 12345, turn heading 230"

"Turn 2-3...wait why am I descending?...crap...that was us altitude hold button...wait" [while still holding button]

[pushes PTT] "230, Skylane 123245"

...sounds liks a pro!...never let them see you sweat!

Last edited:
Me: Juneau tower, (my aircraft) over Portland Island with uniform for the runway.....

Dispatch office: Yeah, that sounded really good, I believe you are ready to try with the tower now..

Me: Dammit....:incazzato:... while switching the transmit button from the FM radio back to the A/C radio.....:lol:

Last edited:
Back