Don’t forget to turn your clocks ahead tonight

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
If any of you are late for work in the morning, don’t come blaming me!

We need to do this nation wide, that garbage is way more trouble than its worth, just pick a time and stick with it
Agree. It means an extra hour to fly in the evenings!

Goodbye, morning light . . . . Going to work in the dark again. It was just getting light then.

So the dill weeds on the left coast are gonna give up seasonal time adjustments. Lovely. you think they'll all settle on PST or will one pick PDT?

And why doesn't the whole country just adapt Zulu and be done with it? Answer: too dumb.

Why does Alaska have daylight savings time.?? In summer I have seen the sun almost set in the north then turn and start going up again without setting.

What good is changing time in winter.?? Still dark when going to work and dark when getting off work. (except for the easy places to live in the southern part of Alaska)

Think changing time every spring/fall is a problem for you. Read the provided link about when Alaska changed time zones from 4 down to two.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/11/01/us/alaska-s-four-time-zones-now-two.html

Why does Alaska have daylight savings time.?? In summer I have seen the sun almost set in the north then turn and start going up again without setting.

Sounds like daylight savings time is working perfectly. When DST is not in effect it is dark most the time.

Hey, I get paid for a full shift but only have to work 11hrs :thumbsup:

Oliphant DST.jpeg

I’m in Arizona.... what the hell are you talking about?

Except that the part of Arizona that is the Navajo Nation does observe DST. But the Hopi Reservation, completely surrounded by Navajo, does not. But the part of Navajo that is completely surrounded by Hopi does.

09-daylight-map-full.jpg

ne_arizona_time_zones-4.jpg

So if you drive the 106 miles on AZ Highway 264 from Tuba City to Steamboat in the summertime, you'll have to re-set your watch six times. :confused:

Figuring DST in Australia is fun, too, since just over 1/4 of the area of the country observes it, and then it is in effect from October to April. And their Central time zone is on the half-hour compared to the other zones and GMT.

380px-Australia-states-timezones.png

Only if it's on top if 3 treadmills that are inside a submarine...:rolleyes:

So let’s say you take off for a 1 hr flight at 0101 when you land it will still be 0101 assuming you didn’t cross a time zone ... did time just stop for you?

We need to do this nation wide, that garbage is way more trouble than its worth, just pick a time and stick with it

Everyone did. They just didn't all pick the same time :)

The best thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.

Thanks for the reminder. Because all my clocks are self-setting and/or automatically adjusted, I would have just woken up tired and wondered why the sun was so low in the sky otherwise.

So let’s say you take off for a 1 hr flight at 0101 when you land it will still be 0101 assuming you didn’t cross a time zone ... did time just stop for you?
Yes --- the plane -- the plane -- boss is my time machine

So the dill weeds on the left coast are gonna give up seasonal time adjustments. Lovely. you think they'll all settle on PST or will one pick PDT?

And why doesn't the whole country just adapt Zulu and be done with it? Answer: too dumb.

Depending on your point of view it would make the west coast either always PDT or always MST, thus matching AZ.

Except that the part of Arizona that is the Navajo Nation does observe DST. But the Hopi Reservation, completely surrounded by Navajo, does not. But the part of Navajo that is completely surrounded by Hopi does.

Page Arizona is lots of fun. The town itself is on Arizona time, but it’s wedged between Utah and the Navajo reservation, which have different clocks. If you rely on a cellphone for checking the time, you could get anything, depending on the tower you’re receiving.

One time standard for the USA. We could call it zenith time; everyone's GPS watch would show noon at the sun's zenith, at your current location. Kinda like 29.92 in the flight levels, and also the way it was done for centuries prior. Time differences between two locations would roughly show their longitudinal separation ... in minutes. That way, everyone on earth would be confused.

So if you drive the 106 miles on AZ Highway 264 from Tuba City to Steamboat in the summertime, you'll have to re-set your watch six times

Flying into those areas is fun as well. We didn't tell them what time we would be there, instead we would just say we will be there in an hour. That made life so much easier.

I made it to :19 before wanting to shoot myself in the face. still wondering why I clicked on it knowing it was celine. maybe I was hoping to get rick rolled, but NOOOOOOOOOOooooooo……...

Except that the part of Arizona that is the Navajo Nation does observe DST. But the Hopi Reservation, completely surrounded by Navajo, does not. But the part of Navajo that is completely .....]
Can confirm, graduated from Hopi high school

If you rely on a cellphone for checking the time, you could get anything, depending on the tower you’re receiving.
Last night I set my iPhone alarm for 0600 this morning for a trip to Flagstaff. Alarm went off, face of iPhone said 0600 ... but every other clock in the house (including my mother's spot-on-accurate 1884 Vienna three-weight wall clock) said 0500. Still dark outside. Even the "World Clock" page of the same iPhone said it was 0500 in Phoenix. It was several hours before the iPhone finally convinced itself that there is no DST here, and it reverted back to the correct local time.

Meanwhile, I lost an hour of sleep. Thanks, Apple. :mad:

Back