Does Walmart really sell airplane landing lights?

Well, notice that it's not actually being sold at Walmart, it's one of their online partners ("Marketplace sellers"), in this case BulbAmerica. So you can't just walk in and get it, you'd have to order it. The walmart.com site more or less just acts as a middleman between you and BulbAmerica. Lots of stuff on Amazon is sold the same way.

Yes. It is a 'standard electrical part'. I used to get them at 'North American Parts for Airplanes'.

PAR 46 12 volt bulb. My parts manual specifies Does not specify incandescent or LED. Does GE have FAA TSO on the GE 4522 bulbs?

Just like the Aviation Aisles at Lowe's and Home Depot for E/AB. :D

Cheers

What's interesting is that the description is not for a generic bulb, but for an aviation bulb. I wouldn't have been so surprised if it was just a generic bulb that happened to also fit.

PAR 46 12 volt bulb. My parts manual specifies Does not specify incandescent or LED. Does GE have FAA TSO on the GE 4522 bulbs?

My POH describes the landing light bulb as a GE 4522. So this is actually, OEM, I think. That the page describes it as an aviation bulb reinforces my thinking.

My POH describes the landing light bulb as a GE 4522. So this is actually, OEM, I think. That the page describes it as an aviation bulb reinforces my thinking.

Just the other day I was listening to 3 guys having a heated discussion about this subject. Without going into details of their particular discussion it was around installing Grote tractor bulbs vs GE types. I found it interesting enough to research it. In shorts I found the 4509 didn't have any special type of TSO or PMA or anything... it's just a bulb.

I did find a ton of various forum posts and comments ranging from "it doesn't matter, mark it as a direct GE XXXX replacement", to "you can't ever do it our the FAA will come find you on the ramp and take away your license." So I don't know what the real answers are...

Just the other day I was listening to 3 guys having a heated discussion about this subject. Without going into details of their particular discussion it was around installing Grote tractor bulbs vs GE types. I found it interesting enough to research it. In shorts I found the 4509 didn't have any special type of TSO or PMA or anything... it's just a bulb.

I did find a ton of various forum posts and comments ranging from "it doesn't matter, mark it as a direct GE XXXX replacement", to "you can't ever do it our the FAA will come find you on the ramp and take away your license." So I don't know what the real answers are...

The answer is,,,, It's a standard part, just like a bolt or nut and treated as such.

My POH shows the part as a GE 4522. This is a GE 4522. What's the issue?

My POH shows the part as a GE 4522. This is a GE 4522. What's the issue?

My post was more about if you used something other than the GE 4522 for the same purpose.

Yes. Walmart in Anchorage has landing lights. Plus oil. Just walk into the store and pick it up. NAPA has landing lights as well.

1450 lumens---how many lumens do you get from a 4509??

After about 10 hours, 0.

Okay, it got better when I changed brands and paid double. Still put in an LED for the lower current draw.

After about 10 hours, 0.

Must be in the nose...

I get about 100 hours out of my taxi light, I can't recall when I last changed the landing light. I'd get more out of the taxi light if I remembered to shut it off in cruise....:rolleyes2:

My lights are in the wing.

Must be in the nose...

I get about 100 hours out of my taxi light, I can't recall when I last changed the landing light. I'd get more out of the taxi light if I remembered to shut it off in cruise....:rolleyes2:

My lights are in the wing.

That was in the nose and before the dynamic balance. Already had the higher cost version in when it got the dynamic balance. I think that I didn't change the light again until I put in the LED. I should still have my spare around somewhere.

Yes. Walmart in Anchorage has landing lights. Plus oil. Just walk into the store and pick it up. NAPA has landing lights as well.

Alaska sounds like a wonderful place!

FTFY...

Just sayin'

Absolutely! As each of us flying is 100% (and nothing less than 100% is acceptable) certain that every nut, bolt, screw, washer, wire, cotter pin, piece of wire, and every other part the avionics tech, A&P, or IA has put in our airplanes is fully compliant, certified, documented, tagged, and tested to the full FAA spec. Add in wire ties, grommets, gaskets, sealants, lubricants...there is a lot each of us as owners has to keep track of. No wonder my log book is so thick! I am certain all your logbooks are this thick too with all this documentation.

We aren't talking elevators, pistons, crankshafts, flaps, struts, landing gear, avionics, glide slope indicators and those other critical items which would indeed kill us if we installed parts made in foundries down a dark alley. None of that stuff ever hits my airframe.

Blue Skies!

Since we have the same model airplane, would you mind sharing the part number of the bearings/races? For statistical purposes only, mind you.

Jim

I'll have to ask him next time I talk with him...which is often these days since I'm having my engine issues...I'll let you know.

They can get the right bearing using the numbers that are stamped on the bearings.

Since we have the same model airplane, would you mind sharing the part number of the bearings/races? For statistical purposes only, mind you.

Jim

It should be the same part number just without the PMA etching, no?

Last time I tried buying bearings locally I learned that there wasn't much price difference between the PMA part and what I could get at the local bearing house. The convenience of getting them local is sometimes nice though.

Don't you need an STC to legally install a LED landing light on a certificated aircraft?

I was told the wheel bearings at Napa were not the same quality wise as the official aviation wheel bearings, anyway, that was what a mechanic told me!

Don't you need an STC to legally install a LED landing light on a certificated aircraft?

I was told the wheel bearings at Napa were not the same quality wise as the official aviation wheel bearings, anyway, that was what a mechanic told me!

Each owner has to make their own decisions. Lots of non PMA labeled parts are in many aircraft today, but critical parts are a different story. Timken makes bearings for everything that uses bearings. There is no separate line for automotive and aviation. Not the same quality...never heard that, and I would ask for the science/documentation that proves it. Amazing how many OWT's are out there.

Absolute BS. They're the same bearings that go on a lot of cars. They will last forever there if kept lubricated.

Each owner has to make their own decisions. Lots of non PMA labeled parts are in many aircraft today, but critical parts are a different story. Timken makes bearings for everything that uses bearings. There is no separate line for automotive and aviation. Not the same quality...never heard that, and I would ask for the science/documentation that proves it. Amazing how many OWT's are out there.

Kinda like people claiming Aviators O2 is not the same as Welding O2..:rolleyes:

Amazing how the crap perpetuates, and how fast it spreads. LOP ruins engines, shock cooling...the list goes on and on. I bet that LED light will cause you to crash too. And that non PMA zip tie holding wires together causes issues too. Check that zerk fitting while you are at it. People have NO idea what is in their plane, yet they cite this and that as gospel.

You want maintenance facts that are correct? Subscribe to this newsletter. This guy is no bull and knows his stuff. http://www.savvyaviator.com Recognized by many as an expert, and has forgotten more than most mechanics know. Yes, he is that good.

Back