Does Walmart really sell airplane landing lights?

I'll have to ask him next time I talk with him...which is often these days since I'm having my engine issues...I'll let you know.

Thanks.

As to "look at the number on the bearing", that means I have to jack the airplane up, take the pant off, take the wheel off, look at the bearing, find out how long it will take to get a 1958 bearing from some specialty bearing house across the country, wait a week, then take the nosewheel pant off, take the wheel off ...

Hell of a lot simpler to just ask someone who knows.

Jim

Walmart, Loews, Home Depot, etc ALL sell airplane parts. :D

Don't you need an STC to legally install a LED landing light on a certificated aircraft?

I was told the wheel bearings at Napa were not the same quality wise as the official aviation wheel bearings, anyway, that was what a mechanic told me!
Same factory, same line, same QA. Just a different bucket that some wound up in that got an extra stamp and an expensive piece of paper attached.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

My taxi and landing lights are the same item. I would like to get the Larsen lights and have one flood and one spot light.

I did some research and lumens and candlepower measure different things but a 1450 Lumens LED light puts out about 12 times as much as a 110,000 candlepower 4509 light.

My taxi and landing lights are the same item. I would like to get the Larsen lights and have one flood and one spot light.

That is what many do - one spot and one flood, or one flood and one trapezoid. Either combo gets the job done. You will run them both full time as before you would only run one lamp due to amp load. No need to worry about hours, as the plane will be beer cans long before the led's wear out.

Since this thread is also about items A&P's (and others) and the propagation of misinformation, I thought I would post an excellent article written by the expert quoted above that sets the record straight about many of the items discussed at airports everyday that are total garbage.

Enjoy the read.

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182849-1.html

Last edited:
Mike Busch? Expert?

:rofl:

The man who says you won't get moisture in your oil in the winter because the air's too dry?

:rofl:

Kinda like people claiming Aviators O2 is not the same as Welding O2..:rolleyes:

There WAS a difference back in the '40s when we started to get regular missions above 20k' in the European theater in winter. That's because there was no pressurization in most of the bomber iron and it was G.D. COLD at that altitude and the heaters were somewhat ineffective. Excess water in the O2 supply would either freeze up OR fog up and that wasn't acceptable.

HOWEVER, with civilian pressurization and decent heaters in nonpress aircraft today it isn't a problem and they are now pretty much the same WITH THE EXCEPTION that the old WWII standard is still around for "Aviator's Breathing Oxygen". Dumb, but that's the way it is.

Jim

There WAS a difference back in the '40s when we started to get regular missions above 20k' in the European theater in winter. That's because there was no pressurization in most of the bomber iron and it was G.D. COLD at that altitude and the heaters were somewhat ineffective. Excess water in the O2 supply would either freeze up OR fog up and that wasn't acceptable.

HOWEVER, with civilian pressurization and decent heaters in nonpress aircraft today it isn't a problem and they are now pretty much the same WITH THE EXCEPTION that the old WWII standard is still around for "Aviator's Breathing Oxygen". Dumb, but that's the way it is.

Some of what I've read leads me to believe that oxygen today is normally supplied dry, so that for medical oxygen, they have to ADD moisture.

Some of what I've read leads me to believe that oxygen today is normally supplied dry, so that for medical oxygen, they have to ADD moisture.

The oxygen in the cylinder never had meaningful amounts of moisture. If it did, the steel cylinder would corrode through in short order. All bottled oxygen sold today is made from liquid oxygen and as such completely dry and very clean (you can buy cleaner oxygen for lab supply and chemical processes). Any contaminants would come from the bottle or the fittings.

The difference between welding vs. ABO vs. Oxygen USP (medical) or diving oxygen is in:

- the paperwork that travels with the bottle
- the fact that they have to draw a vacuum on the medical bottle prior to filling (this is to remove any anesthesia gas that may have been drawn back into the bottle due to faulty anesthesia equipment)
- the price

Back in the 40s, some of the welding oxygen was not produced from LOX but was bottled at the steel plants from the supply they use to run the oxygen furnace. That process could leave you with oxygen that had all kinds of good things in it, including traces of CO. That stuff you did NOT want to breathe at 20,000ft.

fwiw the truck that used to pull up at our hospital to fill up the LOX tank said 'XYZ Welding Supply' on the side :wink2:

Jim

Jim,

Note that into the '50's, breathing oxygen was often manufactured via water sealed processes... Since ~1960, it's all been cryogenic, zero water by the nature of the process.

So the '40's practices ceased to be relevant...

Paul

Robinson heli's use FRAM and WIX airfilters, of course there's RHC part number sticker on the box. The did start to go away from the WIX and come up with a reusable one. And there was a series that had some bad rubber so they issued a SB recalling those filters. But last I knew, the Raven II still was using the FRAM's.

Heck, if you have a plane with hydraulic retract, NAPA most likely has your gear pump for 10% of aviation suppliers, same Prestolite number and everything.

Back