Does the FAA has a place in aviation?

Do you think the FAA has a place in aviation?

• Yes, we need the FAA to regulate all aspects of aviation.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Yes, but there are some aspects of aviation that we could deregulate.

Votes: 73 73.0%
  • No, the FAA is not needed in aviation and should be eliminated.

Votes: 10 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Your two points; No ICAO standards, and low quality airlines a dime a dozen...

I specifically said the FAA was needed to represent us in the ICAO, so your first point is invalid.

To your second point - Don't you think the market would ignore the BAC 1-11 airline in favor of the professionally run, safe airline?

Bottom line is, if the FAA were around in 1903 there wouldn't be an airline industry today. And what we have today under the tutelage of the FAA for part 91, 135, and 121 is in most people's minds a stagnant, if not circling the drain industry in the USA. So yea, let's keep on the path we're on. Everything will be just fine :)

Apparently you need to go out and find a sense of humor. :rolleyes:

Spend enough time on these forums and read all of the ways people constantly try to figure ways to circumvent the rules, and you begin to see why things are what they are today.

Go ahead, place the blame on the FAA. :rolleyes: Look a bit deeper and you'll see where the real problems exist.

This thread reminds me of people complaining about congress and elected officials. All we hear is "it's their fault!" Is it really or does the fault lay a bit deeper, say with the voter?

Most who condem the FAA are usually low time or young. I've flown for 45 years and have always been treated very fairly by anyone in the FAA. On the other hand, I've always followed the rules. Never had a problem. In two instances they went out of their way to help. Most rules they inforce are reaction to idiotic decisions by pilots who have killed themselves and usually others.
Or, someone like me who had the nerve to be seen by a medical professional when I had kidney stones a few years ago, have never had one since, but can not fly because they made the process impossible for those of us that dared to get a CT scan instead of a KUB.

As far as I'm concerned, the FAA can go to hell.

Back the OP, kevin you've now officially moved into crackpot territory in your quest to blame the world for your lack of a 3rd class medical.

If you want to fly, join a gliding club, buy a kitfox, whatever, but do something about it. Making yourself into a victim never got anyone anything.

If money is an issue, fix it. Stop daydreaming about working at an airport and get a real job. Then get a 2nd job. I don't know anyone who only has 1 job. Ditch the iphone, that is an hour's worth of flying spend every month. I'm sure there are lots of other things you can do. You can't change anyone but yourself.

I've had the (dis)pleasure of flying around Europe a bit, and compared to anything they have there, I would hug and kiss FAA every time I see it.
Things like airspace, ATC cooperation with GA, R/P areas and so on, FAA beats the hell out of any European CAA, let alone EASA.

I've had the (dis)pleasure of flying around Europe a bit, and compared to anything they have there, I would hug and kiss FAA every time I see it.
Things like airspace, ATC cooperation with GA, R/P areas and so on, FAA beats the hell out of any European CAA, let alone EASA.
amen.

last weekend I helped a guy here change the control cables in his bonanza. Why ? because some bonanza somewhere in australia had corrosion on a cable. Now they are all on a calendar life. And don't get me started on medicals. Big picture, if you can fog a mirror you can get an FAA medical.

Your two points; No ICAO standards, and low quality airlines a dime a dozen...

I specifically said the FAA was needed to represent us in the ICAO, so your first point is invalid.

To your second point - Don't you think the market would ignore the BAC 1-11 airline in favor of the professionally run, safe airline?

Bottom line is, if the FAA were around in 1903 there wouldn't be an airline industry today. And what we have today under the tutelage of the FAA for part 91, 135, and 121 is in most people's minds a stagnant, if not circling the drain industry in the USA. So yea, let's keep on the path we're on. Everything will be just fine :)

There is no evidence that is true, besides, it would likely cost the insurance industry a a few hundred million dollars before the cheapies shook out, and then there's nothing to keep the same idiots and crappy equipment from becoming a new airline under some other name. Without a sanctioning body, the industry becomes uninsurable.

Or, someone like me who had the nerve to be seen by a medical professional when I had kidney stones a few years ago, have never had one since, but can not fly because they made the process impossible for those of us that dared to get a CT scan instead of a KUB.

Ok... I give up.....

How can Kidney Stones cause safety of flight issues???:dunno:..:confused:..:confused::confused:

The FAA is needed, however like any government agency they like to and tend to try to overreach.

Really? I studied how airports are run in college, and I always thought it was necessary that the FAA should regulate airports, whether operating, maintaining, expanding, or building them.

I had no ideas that those regulations also cause a deterrant to running or building Part 139 airports.

Sometimes things things taught in college don't match the real world.

I don't think the original airport comment was directed to larger 139 airports ether.

Last edited:
Back the OP, kevin you've now officially moved into crackpot territory in your quest to blame the world for your lack of a 3rd class medical.

If you want to fly, join a gliding club, buy a kitfox, whatever, but do something about it. Making yourself into a victim never got anyone anything.

If money is an issue, fix it. Stop daydreaming about working at an airport and get a real job. Then get a 2nd job. I don't know anyone who only has 1 job. Ditch the iphone, that is an hour's worth of flying spend every month. I'm sure there are lots of other things you can do. You can't change anyone but yourself.

This is not about me blaming the world because I can't get a 3rd class medical. This was not the reason why I created this thread. The reason why I created this thread is because I noticed some people who commented on a blog on Avweb blame the FAA for various reasons, like being too slow and bureaucratic, etc. This makes me wonder if there are some pilots out there who may think there may be no need for the FAA. For me, I think having the FAA is important to regulate safety, but of course there are some things that we could relax the rules and regulations on. But like most of you guys voted, there is still need for the FAA.

Here is the blog which inspired me to create this thread.

http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/Elections-More-Plusses-Than-Minuses-for-GA-223075-1.html

Last edited:

Amen brother.

Unfortunately, it will go over his head and we can only wait anxiously for the next poll/question/blame/etc.

Ask someone who has passed one, then think of having that happen in flight.

Yes - but I am no more at risk today of passing one than I was before I had my first, seeing how I likely have had them in my kidneys for the last 20 years. In that time, I have had exactly one episode of passing a stone, and made the mistake of seeking treatment.

Now I'll never fly again, unless the FAA drops the requirement for a third class medical. Does that seem right?

I haven't looked, but why is a kidney stone a permanent ban for a 3rd class medical?

I haven't looked, but why is a kidney stone a permanent ban for a 3rd class medical?

It's not automatically. You can prove you don't have any more and be clear, but if you're someone like me thst produces them automatically, and neither diet nor alkanization can fix it....

Then you're stuck. Note, that I was fine before I was diagnosed. But God help you if you see a doctor. Then the FAA will rain fire down upon you for having the nerve to get healthy.

I've had kidney stones, reported it, and still got my medical more than once. The first time the doc called the FAA over the phone just to check, and they gave the green light. Since then I've reported no change, and it's been a breeze each time.

Don't know why you got turned down unless it's chronic.

I've had kidney stones, reported it, and still got my medical more than once. The first time the doc called the FAA over the phone just to check, and they gave the green light. Since then I've reported no change, and it's been a breeze each time.

Don't know why you got turned down unless it's chronic.

That's just it - I can't prove I don't have kidney stones because they are still in my kidneys (just as they have been for the last 20+ years). I could get 2 CT scans 90 days apart that show no movement and get an SI, but guess what - they move. Also, CT scans as an elective procedure aren't cheap to keep getting every 90 days to prove to some dickweed in OKC that I am not going to crash a plane because my dick hurts.

Had I either gotten a KUB (against a doctor's orders) or just not gone to the Er at all, I'd be fine today.

Keep in mind - I have passed a stone exactly ONCE in my life.

Back