Does Garmin GPS 100 talk to G5's

Clearh2o

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I recently upgraded my panel on my 1956 Cessna 172. New panel has 2 G5's, Garmin GNX375, Garmin Aera 660, PS engineering PAR200B and ICOM A220 comm. I'm looking to get a nav/comm to replace the Icom so my bird is capable of all approaches. Ideal piece of equipment would be the new Garmin GNC 215 but I found a Garmin GPS 100 Nav/Comm for essentially free and wondering if it would talk my G5's.
My old plane had a Garmin 250XL and it was indestructible so I have soft spot for the older Garmin avionics.

I had a GPS100 in my old Cherokee when it was purchased. It was a nav only, not a nav/com. Garmin told me it was obsolete and could not be updated with a new database, so it can't be used for IFR, but it would be ok VFR as long as the items in its obsolete data based were still valid.
I doubt it will talk to a G5, but I don't know for sure. Hope this helps

Realize that the GPS-100 is a 1980s piece of equipment.

Nav only, no com.

Only use for one is for a museum of avionics. My avionics shop has one is a case in the lobby along with a bunch of other ancient pieces of equipment.

I had a GPS100 in my old Cherokee when it was purchased. It was a nav only, not a nav/com. Garmin told me it was obsolete and could not be updated with a new database, so it can't be used for IFR, but it would be ok VFR as long as the items in its obsolete data based were still valid.
I doubt it will talk to a G5, but I don't know for sure. Hope this helps
Thats what I figured. Thanks.

A few shops told me the same thing if you're looking for ILS/LOC/VOR capability to communicate with your G5 HSI, you need to upgrade to a newer unit - but I have (had) older NARCO radios.

I am doing the same upgrade... 2 G5s', a 375, and a 215.

Thats what I figured. Thanks.
The limitation is that the G5 only works with digital signals and the GPS100 predates NAV over RS232/ARINC429 by a number of years.

Back