Does "Direct To" avoid Class B airspace?

MarcP

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marc P
Hello,

I was playing around in the Garman 600 desktop simulator. I was under a Class B shelf at 3800 ft. I selected a waypoint Direct that should have taken me through a Class B segment at my altitude. However, it seemed to adjust the track to stay straight a bit longer, then have a slight turn to skirt the Class B.

I read through the manuals, but didn't find a reference to this behavior. Anyone confirm that the Garman works this way?

Best,

Marc

Last edited:
The 660 doesn’t adjust track for tfr or airspace,fore flight doesn’t either.

Direct to is exactly that, direct from point A to B irrespective of airspace / obstacles / terrain / traffic / weather / etc.

Depending on the route direction and distance between origin and destination, a great circle route can create an appearance of avoiding an area between them.

I'm not sure about the "straight for a bit longer" part, as that doesn't seem logical for Garmin software. Might be a simulator software problem, however.

I think I realized what happens. Upon entering the direct to, it seems to show a bit of a straight before turning on course, I think to give you time to make that turn. It wasn't specifically bending around air space. Thank you!

I think I realized what happens. Upon entering the direct to, it seems to show a bit of a straight before turning on course, I think to give you time to make that turn. It wasn't specifically bending around air space. Thank you!
You mean this? All it's doing is reading your ground speed, understanding you can't turn on a dime, and showing what a standard rate turn track to the new course will look like.

1692888800331.png

Back