Does any of this matter? (Diverting)

I'll go a step further. Especially when weather is a potential issue, we should all be considering what some refer to as "enroute alternates" – divert/continue decision points along the way. I talk about it in one of the PilotWorkshops IFR Mastery programs. After all, we are required by 91.103(a) to consider "alternatives available if the planned flight cannot be completed."
Concur. Gary Reeves also recommends having your alternate at a point BEFORE your destination so you can divert to a planned location if the weather is not looking good at your destination at your anticipated time of arrival.

Concur. Gary Reeves also recommends having your alternate at a point BEFORE your destination so you can divert to a planned location if the weather is not looking good at your destination at your anticipated time of arrival.
I agree with him on this. Enroute alternates, pretty much by definition, are before your destination.

I heard that since 911 they have to ask why you are diverting to make sure you're not a terrorist. This is kinda like a pawn shop asking you "did you steal this?" before buying your item. Or, like my basic med doctor asking me if I've had a heart attack....
That was the procedure, but since has been rescinded. But controllers don't always keep up, or just remember their training, or are nosy!

Paul

Disagree that only occasional diverts are acceptable and more often represents poor planning. If one flies east of Mississippi long distances in summer there’s no way to know where a storm may actually develop. So the landing airport or fuel stop may have to change, possibly more than once, during the course of the 3-5 hour flight. That’s where the flexibility of GA really comes in.

All this only applies when IFR; VFR you just tell them the new destination or cancel flight following. Pop-ups are now asking about “are you IFR equip and capable” again after at least a decade of not doing so. Not always though.

That was the procedure, but since has been rescinded. But controllers don't always keep up, or just remember their training, or are nosy!

Paul
The order for ATC was cancelled but what does 7610.4 state for change of destination?

I would say just from the limited information, if most (all) of the mentioned flights end in a diversion that suggests poor flight planning for whatever reason. Occasional diverts no problem, but this is not normal. On comments of dehydrating to make longer flights… Bad things happen when you dehydrate yourself. Your mental acuity can decline, fatigue can set in, you increase your risk of blood clots in your legs and lungs, and can increase your risk of stroke and heart attack through increased blood viscosity, and just feel bad. I fly a buttload of long missions, and I drink and eat normally, and carry these when necessary.

View attachment 119852
View attachment 119853
I recognized that flight track from MMOPA. Immediately knew who it was. Your reputation precedes you. :)

Back