Does a BFR recipient need to be the PIC?

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
Never mind. Just realized the answer must be no. Otherwise pilots overdue would never be able to become current again.

If you are not eligible to and serving as PIC during the flight you better make sure your instructor is. I had an instructor friend who had no medical. I could do my BFR with him as long as I was still current.

If you are not eligible to and serving as PIC during the flight you better make sure your instructor is. I had an instructor friend who had no medical. I could do my BFR with him as long as I was still current.

That is kind of rare, and I would hope that said CFI would make HIS restrictions known. Otherwise, a "student" may not know to ask.

Greg ... Cyndi got to Blue Springs Tuesday night in the middle of that gullywasher. She had a basement. Now she's got a covered swimming pool.

Jim

I usually go through that scenario. I normally schedule my BFR for the first week after it expires so I can get the extra month.

So during your flight review, do you log the time as PIC time? (Is the answer different depending on whether you are still current, or are not current?)

So during your flight review, do you log the time as PIC time?

Only if your pilot certificate has the category and class (and type rating if one is required) of the airplane you're taking the BFR in, and then only for the time that you are sole manipulator of the controls.

(Is the answer different depending on whether you are still current, or are not current?)

No.

So during your flight review, do you log the time as PIC time? (Is the answer different depending on whether you are still current, or are not current?)

Remember, "logging" and "acting" are two different things.

Only if your pilot certificate has the category and class (and type rating if one is required) of the airplane you're taking the BFR in, and then only for the time that you are sole manipulator of the controls.

You can't take a BFR in an aircraft you are not rated for.

He would wait until post 61, repeat what everyone else wrote, quote chapter and verse of the regulations, throw in some CC letters, add some latin verbage and tell you this is "on point". :D

You forgot "Choose wisely"!

Hard quote? I tried logging into an account, says I don't have one, tried to make one, says I have one, tried to reset PW/username, says I don't have one. :dunno:

It goes on for a couple of pages; it would be rather time-consuming to quote it all.

I'm not sure.

Last edited:
To make it a little easier to find the relevant posts, the attorneys are Cary, BCampbell, TheRealOrange, and I think bradg33.

He would wait until post 61, repeat what everyone else wrote, quote chapter and verse of the regulations, throw in some CC letters, add some latin verbage and tell you this is "on point". :D

:yes:

And despite overwhelming arguments to the contrary, the Rear Admiral NEVER will admit me was wrong!! :D

TL;DR Ron doesn't know what he's talking about? :D

90% of the time he did. It was the 10% where he was authoritative and flat-out wrong that was the issue with some of us. And I'd guess that's the source of the hilarity at the AOPA board.

When he agreed with himself, yes. :D

I wouldn't go that far. He's certainly an intelligent and knowledgeable aviator and teacher, and he's probably forgotten more about flying that I'll ever learn. Unfortunately, once you veer off into speaking authoritatively on subjects you are not an authority on or are just your personal opinions, it calls your entire body of knowledge in question.

I find the whole thing sad and I am sorry Ron is gone.

Back