Do you write stuff down

Notepad window in WingX works for me. ATIS, Runway assignments, ATC freqs given, hobbs times, etc.

Before I had radios with flip-flop tuning, many moons ago, I got into the habit of writing down frequencies, especially en route. Not that I would forget them, but if I for some reason couldn't contact the next sector, I'd have the last frequency on my kneeboard. :D Since I've had more modern avionics, I only normally write down clearances. ;)

At my home airport I don't normally have a need to as most taxi clearances are usually one maybe 2 taxiways and I already know where they're going to send me before I ask 95% of the time... also I'm stopped on the ground with my full attention on the conversation.

However, I've found that when doing flight following I have a terrible time remembering who I'm supposed to contact on what frequency long enough to repeat it back to the controller. Probably that pesky distraction of flying the airplane...

I dial in frequencies as I'm reading it back to the controller. I can't ever remember forgetting one, by doing it that way. If I did dial it in wrong, all I would have to do is go back to the last assigned freq and say "what was that freq again?"

However, I've found that when doing flight following I have a terrible time remembering who I'm supposed to contact on what frequency long enough to repeat it back to the controller. Probably that pesky distraction of flying the airplane...
As soon as the approach controller calls your numbers, put your hand on the frequency box and start changing numbers as he repeats. I do this and then I often write down the frequency just in case. As for remember the approach facility name, don't get to wrapped up about it. You can just say "Approach, Cessna 12345" instead of the actual name like NY Approach, DEN approach, SOCAL approach

FlyWrite pad that fits perfectly on an APR MXU-163 lighted military kneeboard. Except for the LED light, it's a circa WWII vintage design.

I'm still using the last one issued to me.

I write most things down. I fly alone and almost always file ifr because it's busy where I go. I'm often re-routed and the controllers are very, very busy.

Writing things down helps me stay ahead of the aircraft. I can always start in the right direction and once established punch in the rest of what I have to do without worrying that I forgot something.

I dial in frequencies as I'm reading it back to the controller. I can't ever remember forgetting one, by doing it that way. If I did dial it in wrong, all I would have to do is go back to the last assigned freq and say "what was that freq again?"

I write all of mine down. I've had to use the written list before when unable to reach Departure, or when Dep wouldn't answer my calls, just everyone else's. So I called the previous frequency, and the Air Force was happy to open my flight plan for me, a couple of thousand feet before reaching the clouds.

It's all part of traveling and using non-towered fields.

I also write down the weather, sometimes at departure and at arrival whenever it's available. Clearances and taxi routes, you better believe it! Regular paper folded in half fits my kneeboard perfectly, and since my printer only uses the front, I fold it writing inside and scribble all over the blank outside. The cost is zero, the effort is minimal, and it helps keep me straight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back