Do you write stuff down

U

Unregistered

Do you write down pertinent information the tower gives you when contacting them. It could be either runway assignments, traffic pattern instructions or other instructions. I think it will help me with read backs or not forgetting what instructions was given to me.

Sometimes I second guess myself what runway was assigned to or something else and my have to ask the tower to confirm.

Thanks.

Do you write down pertinent information the tower gives you when contacting them. It could be either runway assignments, traffic pattern instructions or other instructions. I think it will help me with read backs or not forgetting what instructions was given to me.

Sometimes I second guess myself what runway was assigned to or something else and my have to ask the tower to confirm.

Thanks.

It's not a bad idea...especially for student and newbie pilots still getting their bearings.

I normally write down key elements of the ATIS, and taxi instructions if they are particularly involved. And IFR clearances. Really anything I might forget otherwise.

VFR, I don't usually write that stuff down unless I have reason to think I might forget it. For example, taxiway closures or instructions at an unfamiliar airport.

That said, I do keep a running log of frequencies and squawk codes on cross countries when I'm using flight following.

Don't write anything down for VFR. IFR I use the CRAFT format. Sometimes I read it back while other times I just have it written down for me. See the AIM, GP and 7110.65 for things you're required to read back.

If it's pronounceable, I write it down. :wink:

Frequencies and new transponder codes. Usually in the scratch pad portion of Pilot

Only an IFR clearance that needs to be read back in its entirety.
Everything else is pretty simple.

If you've got a spare OBS, set it to the wind direction rather than writing it down. Not only will it remind you, it will also tell you what crosswind to expect when you know which runway you're using.

Like to write down atis info,and taxi instructions. Then if challenged I know what I heard and read back.

You might record the runway and pattern entry. A short hand method helps. RB 4L = Enter right base 4 left.

I have found, especially with newer pilots, that they hear what ATC says but aren't actually listening. It also seems that once you have enough experience on the radios, you can expect what is going to be said, and it makes remembering what is passed to you easier. A simple way to remember frequencies which a lot of guys use, is to drop the first and last digit and remember it as two, two digit numbers. 125.275 is 25 27. 132.300 is 32 30. This will be easier to remember, and you can read it back as such.

I have found, especially with newer pilots, that they hear what ATC says but aren't actually listening. It also seems that once you have enough experience on the radios, you can expect what is going to be said, and it makes remembering what is passed to you easier. A simple way to remember frequencies which a lot of guys use, is to drop the first and last digit and remember it as two, two digit numbers. 125.275 is 25 27. 132.300 is 32 30. This will be easier to remember, and you can read it back as such.

Just finished a xc with a bunch of handoffs and don't recall any controllers using 3 digits after the decimal (and yeah there were some 27s in there)

I do. I have a bound book that has the CRAFT thing done up nice to deal with one leg of a flight...

Origin ATIS..clearance...Hobbs...tach...taxi instructions...# of take offs/landing night/day IMC/VMC...actual IMC time...

More helpful to me is setting heading/altitude bugs...

I usually set the heading bug to RW heading (to later confirm befoe take off roll) and altitude bugs to initial climbout altitudes before I leave parking...

I may from time to time (leaving RDU is an example) enter the initial heading I get assigned repeatedly when VFR...heading of 160 at or below 2K...once I get to 3K MSL, I get "resume own nav"

Heck yea. I make it a habit to write stuff down with so much going on I find it easy to transpose stuff so writing it down helps keep it straight.

Just finished a xc with a bunch of handoffs and don't recall any controllers using 3 digits after the decimal (and yeah there were some 27s in there)

While he used VHF in the example, there are plenty of UHF ATC freqs with 3 digits.

I'm still learning so I write down a lot (at least when I can remember to write it down) both to get me into the habit of writing stuff down if it's important and because I know that I can easily forget what I just heard if I've got a lot of other stuff going on in my head. Mostly I write down ATIS, taxi instructions and departure instructions- even though at this point in my training we haven't gone beyond the practice area so there's hardly any deviation from what I'm "supposed" to be, and used to, hearing.

I'm not a student pilot but getting current again after a number of years. I think you nailed because I have so much going through my head I'm forgetting what the tower is telling. I guess there is no shame in writing stuff down. I haven't brought this up with my instructor.

Signed OP

I fly with a kneeboard and a blank sheet of paper and a pen.
I tend to write center frequencies, squawk codes

Prior to the flight, I will jot down ATIS, pattern info or tower frequencies.
by the end of the flight it is a bunch of scratch on the paper but it works for me.

In terms of things Tower tells me, I always write down taxi instructions, ATIS information, and IFR clearances, but that's about it.

I've learned that a mild distrust of ones self increases life expectancy, especially single pilot. Except for local ops, I write down all clearances, taxi instructions, ATIS, altimeters, headings, altitudes, and frequencies. I try to take other notes during the flight as well. All this helps to deconstruct and debrief the flight thoroughly.

Last edited:
I've learned that a mild distrust of ones self increases life expectancy, especially single pilot. Except for local ops, I write down all clearances, taxi instructions, ATIS, altimeters, headings, altitudes, and frequencies. I try to take other notes during the flight as well. All this helps to deconstruct and debrief the flight thoroughly.

I pretty much do the same thing. I note the approach freq., symbols for climb or descent, direct to or heading changes. Since I keep my blog going it's nice to have the details to debrief and refresh my memory.

I write down the missed instructions if it's other then published. Other then that I have a pretty good short term memory so the clearances are pretty easy for me to repeat back I found it quicker then writing it and then repeating it.

I learned to have a pencil and paper ready when I called for taxi the first time at a large airport (Colorado Springs) and got essentially an IFR departure clearance back. I had to ask for them to repeat that when I got my pen dug out of my flight bag. I had learned at a towered field, but there it was pretty limited to being told which runway to taxi to.

There is probably nothing wrong with writing the info down, but in my experience when I am flying frequently and going out of all but the busiest airports, you can have your panel pretty well set up ahead of time. I flew with a lot of charter pilots who never wrote it down but based on what they knew from having looked at the charts on the airport, what they heard on the radio, what they knew of the airport layout and winds, would have nearly everything but the transponder code already entered on the panel and all they did was point at each instruments as the instructions were read to verify they set what the instructions were. Nearly always, no change was needed. Kind of like a flow check list in action.
If you can't preset the info on the panel or have complicated instructions then maybe it's better to write it down in case of lost comms after departure.
There is a set order and precedence for the calls so anyone who flies often knows what comes next and can anticipate and enter it directly into the instrument so it's not nearly so uncertain as if one hasn't flown and has no clue and thus has to write it down. Just saying what I've seen.

There is a set order and precedence for the calls so anyone who flies often knows what comes next and can anticipate and enter it directly into the instrument so it's not nearly so uncertain as if one hasn't flown and has no clue and thus has to write it down. Just saying what I've seen.
This is what I do for VFR departure clearances at Class C fields and I've never had a problem remembering everything. As you say, it's always read in the same order. But though that's true of IFR clearances too, I always them write down or at least am prepared to. Even when picking up in the air, even though you normally have a squawk code and frequency by the time they read you the clearance. On the ground, I use CRAFT, and there is always extra stuff like heading on which to enter controlled airspace if not Class E all the way down, and effective/void times. (In the air, shortened to CRA.)

OK, I gave the short funny answer earlier. Actually I developed a form I use to jot down ATIS information both for departure and arrival including spots for all the frequencies and squawks in between. Then I found a pre-printed form at Sportys that has departure on one side and arrival on the other. I fill in frequencies ahead of time or while in cruise and then fill in the appropriate ATIS information when I get it. Makes it very easy to find when I need it and helps me set up the radios in a logical sequence.

Unlike Kate, my short term memory sucks, which reminds me that unlike Kate my short term memory sucks.

Thats all I have to say about that.

Thanks for the Reply. I guess there is no shame in writing stuff down. I cannot depend on my short term memory sometimes or I second guess myself a lot.

Now for my serious answer. When approaching a towered field, I'll have a taxi diagram out. I generally jot down the runway number or diagram it in (i.e. a right base entry) just so I can remember for sure and glance down to confirm.

Part of remembering is just being familiar with where you are because you've operated out of there for so long. You already have the taxiways memorized, runway assignment from ATIS and climbout instructions are standardized.
I fly in and out of a Class C on a daily basis and I've never written anything down because I'm so familiar with how they operate. You can't get too complacent though when it comes to doing the "norm." Plenty of times I've had ATC switch up a taxi clearance that was different from what I normally did. Gotta listen up.

Writing basic clearances down is a good habit but eventually you're going to find situations in the air where you need to promptly reply and comply with ATC instructions. For instance, I've been in the back of the sim and have had a strong pilot and a slower one up front. You give a clearance like "Army 23487, 3 miles east of Wassa, turn left heading 310, maintain 2,000 until established, cleared ILS rwy 28 approach." The slower pilot off the controls is trying to write all this down prior to any reply so there's this uncomfortable silence over the radio. That's where I come in with "Army 487 how do you hear me?" The slower pilot gets frustrated and then the stronger pilot on the controls steps in and says "310 and 2,000 Army 487." "Army 487 contact Hunter tower." That's it. That's all that's required (vector & altitude). All the rest is fluff.

Knowing the key elements of a clearance will make things so much easier but really the above scenario is nothing more than experience or lack thereof. You get a student in an aircraft and they're so consumed with just the flying part that they completely tune out what ATC is saying. Generally they can't remember the instructions because they're trying to fly and they can't visualize what ATC is telling them. Plan the flight out (familiar with the route and airport), think about what you expect ATC to say on departure, enroute and arrival (CFI will help), listen for the key elements from ATC and then read back the required items. Overtime it will become easier. It's like trying to instruct and fly (MOI) at the same time. At first it's ugly. The talking part takes brain power away from the flying part. Next thing you know you're talking and not even adhering to PTS standards because you're all over the place. Over time you develop a flow and you can compartmentalize both so the instruction makes sense and the flying mirrors the instruction. Nothing more than learning through doing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Reply. I guess there is no shame in writing stuff down. I cannot depend on my short term memory sometimes or I second guess myself a lot.

My personal technique is to read back, write it down, then comply, unless I know its going to be a clearance (then I'm obviously writing then reading back). I do it both when I'm flying for work and flying bug smashers. It takes care of ATC getting their panties in a bunch and I can't think of a situation where waiting 2-3 seconds to make sure you know exactly what you're doing and leaving yourself an out in case you forget is going to be the end of the world (except a GCA).

Having what heading and altitude you're assigned written down will save you from getting violated (or worse) when ATC decides to hit you with a 10+ line, all-in-one, climb out+noise abatement+SID+modifications to your route+then as filed+freqs+altitudes clearance while you're in a descending turn, even though you politely ask them to standby. Then having that clearance written down will save you again on the backside for when you're blowing past 18,000' at 10,000fpm and you can't remember if your level off was FL220 and your heading was 240 or your level off was FL240 and heading 220 and you're having a hard time contacting center after a freq switch (been there, done that).

I only write stuff down if there is any chance I might forget it. In other words, I always write it down if there is more than one instruction. I even write some of them down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back