• Yes - Occassionally

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Never

Votes: 117 75.5%
  • I wear one about the house, pretending to be Tom Cruise

Votes: 24 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thats an interesting thought, how many pilots own a leather bomber jacket? I see the Marines wear them all the time on base, over their flight suits.

I was gifted a canvas one that goes quite nicely with business casual but I don't wear it regularly.

The USAF issues us leather jackets, but I only wear mine if I ride my motorcycle to work. (insert Top Gun joke here) We aren't allowed to wear them while flying since they would shrink wrap you in a fire.

I voted never since I don't wear them if I'm not at work. The only time I've ever worn a flight suit in a GA airplane was when I flew my Glasair to work for a few years - even then it was rare since it was always so damn hot in that little thing.

they always say....."Dress for success..."

PicForNewsletterQantasA38010.JPG

Warplane pilot on my field wears an olive drab nomex suit. It looks right in his AT-6 Texan, but it wouldn't in a C172.

If you're thinking about what it looks like, you're thinking about the wrong thing.

Speaking of foot wear, or lack of, one time I went up on an FAA Challenger 601 during a Flight Check operation and the FO was flying with no shoes at all. No slippers, no flip flops, no socks, just barefoot.

Jesus. Nobody needs to see another man's feet.

I am looking to buy a flight suit now that I am flying the PT19 almost weekly. It will help keep me a bit warmer and keep the oil off of me.

You'd do better with a leather jacket, nomex doesn't break wind worth snot, if you're not into leather modern sports fabric or kourda (sp?) would be better.

If you must have a flight suit...

Aureus International 334-308-9500, makes ours. If you do get one get one that has the zip off sleeves.

Last edited:
Not maroon

... You trying to figure out who I work for? :wink2:

Maybe. Guys across the ramp fly -12's with flightsuits and medical biohazard cargo. TBM and Barons as well.

Figured itd be funny if you were that close.

Jesus. Nobody needs to see another man's feet.

Yeah, I thought it was odd. It was in Thailand so anything goes there. :D

Didn't seam like he was actually touching the pedals anyway. 4 hours of running in circles he was just kicking back and the AP was doing all the work.

Maybe. Guys across the ramp fly -12's with flightsuits and medical biohazard cargo. TBM and Barons as well.

Figured itd be funny if you were that close.

Lol, nope not me, we wear a more traditional EMS color, and biohazard cargo, I saw walking dead, I'm not messing with that :D. Just pt transports.

Yeah, I thought it was odd. It was in Thailand so anything goes there. :D

Didn't seam like he was actually touching the pedals anyway. 4 hours of running in circles he was just kicking back and the AP was doing all the work.

I flew without shoes a few times, no biggie.

For floats in the summer when the water is warm I'll do it, also landed on a beach a few times and just couldn't get all the salty sand off my shoes so I just wrapped them in a towel and flew back barefoot.

Biggest safety thing I've seen is flying in big boots if you're not used to it. Our summer to winter tennis shoe to logger boot conversion takes a few minutes to get back into it and not somewhat drag a brake.

Last edited:
I think I have a set in the hangar. I'll see if I can find them tomorrow and pull a part number off of them.

Jim

No luck. The kind I have are the regular kind. The ones with the flaps were the ones I picked up from DRMO when I was in the Navy. We used them on the ship when we were painting. Better to ruin them than a uniform.

Jim

I don't find much trouble switching between loafers (personal), patent leathers, and leather combat boots (CAP). Just how big are these boots you're talking about?

Link to a site that sells them? Google found me some WWII and Korean War era tankers coveralls, but nothing that looked like a current military issue flight suit with a poop chute. I would love to find one that looks like this with a rear flap:
[/IMG]

I found some info:
http://xbradtc.com/2014/10/01/cvcu/

And so, the Army, in its wisdom, developed the Combat Vehicle Crewman’s Uniform, or CVCU.

The basis of the design was the traditional CWU-27P flight suit. Like the flight suit, it is made of fire resistant Nomex fabric. But there are quite a few differences.

First, it is substantially thicker than the thin flight suit. That helps minimized tearing.

Second, while a pilot might only wear his flight suit for a few hours, vehicle crews can expect to spend days wearing their suit. For that reason, there’s a flap at the seat of the CVCU to make defecating easier. Not dignified, by any stretch, but easier.

Third, armored vehicles don’t have ejection seats. If a wounded crewman has to be pulled from a vehicle, it’s quite difficult. To make it just a little easier, there’s a velcro flap across the back. Opening the flap reveals a nylon tape that forms a harness under the wearer’s shoulders. The tape makes lifting or dragging the wounded much easier.

Back