do you sign student pilot license?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
or certificate or whatever, that's not the point.. I received my plastic today and has a place to sign at the back, I never sign my credit card, so wondering if this needs to be signed? something like not valid unless signed?

I do that to with CC's. I actually write Ask for ID in the signature block. Rarely does anyone ask, not like they look at CC's anymore anyway. But my Cert..I signed it.

I do that to with CC's. I actually write Ask for ID in the signature block. Rarely does anyone ask, not like they look at CC's anymore anyway. But my Cert..I signed it.

I do too on my cards, but like you said, 99% no one asks for ID.

If the merchant is honoring the rules, they will not take a credit card that isn't signed. SEE ID does absolutely nothing except expose MORE of your personal information to the potential crook.

I had to look. My pilot's certificate is signed, but my CFI certificate is not. Since CFI certificates are replaced every two years, that hardly surprised me.

So I checked my credit cards. Not a single one was signed. Never knew I was such a scofflaw!

By gum by golly there is a place for signature there. I'm scratchin my head trying to figure out what the point is.

By gum by golly there is a place for signature there. I'm scratchin my head trying to figure out what the point is.
I think it's like if ur signature don't match, u can't fly .

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've had to show ID to use a credit card before because the signature had rubbed off.

or certificate or whatever, that's not the point.. I received my plastic today and has a place to sign at the back, I never sign my credit card, so wondering if this needs to be signed? something like not valid unless signed?

Flying is a privilege. Smile and sign the card.

I do the same with credit cards, and did the same with my certificates.

What I don't do is leave my CC with the attendants when I want to fill up with gas, or diesel. Yes, we still have pumps that old around here.

If the merchant is honoring the rules, they will not take a credit card that isn't signed.
That ^^^^

Funny thing: if the merchant tells you "your credit card is not valid because it is not signed" and you decide to sign it right there, be prepared to be refused service/purchase/sale because "that ain't right". :D

That ^^^^

Funny thing: if the merchant tells you "your credit card is not valid because it is not signed" and you decide to sign it right there, be prepared to be refused service/purchase/sale because "that ain't right". :D
They're suppose to check photo ID at that point.

Well the problem is the only time a hand my CC to anyone is at a resturant. I've never been asked for my id regarding my cc. Everywhere else I insert the chip and attendant never sees the card.

DPE wouldn't let me take my IFR checkride until I signed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question would be, what is that signature supposed to represent?

As a quick study with a totally inadequate sample size, I looked at the credit cards in my wallet and my pilot and CFI card.

Of the 3 credit cards, 2 said "Not valid until signed" and the other didn't have anything like that. It had a signature box, but nothing saying I had to sign it. Maybe I don't?
On the 2 FAA certificates, it just says "Signature of Holder".

But what does signing it mean? I don't know that I'm agreeing to anything by signing my pilot certificate. By signing my credit cards, I assume the idea is that I am signing the contract of use and agreeing to the terms and conditions. But there's nothing like that for the FAA certificates.

I mean, whether or not I sign my FAA certificates, I'm still required to follow the FARs and other pertinent regulations. No DPE or any other official has actually ever compared the signature on my pilot certificate to a known signature of mine (like on a signature card at the bank) to prove that it was actually MY signature, nor can I imagine they'd do that even if I was undergoing some kind of certificate action (like suspension or revocation). So what exactly is accomplished, legally, by signing, and what is the benefit?

Seems to be just an outdated or misapplied requirement to me.

Last edited:
I do the same with credit cards, and did the same with my certificates.

What I don't do is leave my CC with the attendants when I want to fill up with gas, or diesel. Yes, we still have pumps that old around here.

In NJ they have attendants at all gas stations who you have to wait for to pump your gas. Just about every other state in the country has self=serve, much better and quicker,

In NJ they just run your card in the pump and give it back at most stations. The pumps are no different than those used elsewhere. It's just the independent service station lobby convinced the state not to allow self-serve to discourage the large scale "gas n go" operations (used to have a friend who ran a gas station). I don't think it really worked.

In NJ they just run your card in the pump and give it back at most stations. The pumps are no different than those used elsewhere. It's just the independent service station lobby convinced the state not to allow self-serve to discourage the large scale "gas n go" operations (used to have a friend who ran a gas station). I don't think it really worked.
Hmm. Oregon is no self serve also. That's 2 of 50. If the other 48 went to no self serve, that would be a lot of jobs.

Alas, in my experience, it doesn't change anything. The gas-n-go's still have a single employee. He just has to work the pumps rather than sitting in the booth. I guess if there is an attached convenience store, they need two rather than perhaps only one.

Alas, in my experience, it doesn't change anything. The gas-n-go's still have a single employee. He just has to work the pumps rather than sitting in the booth. I guess if there is an attached convenience store, they need two rather than perhaps only one.

Down south there are no employees working the pumps, you pull in, fill up yourself (pumps accept CC & debit), and off you go. Most do have convenience store attached, but I very rarely go inside myself.

Down south there are no employees working the pumps, you pull in, fill up yourself (pumps accept CC & debit), and off you go. Most do have convenience store attached, but I very rarely go inside myself.
Nearly every gas station here still has some minimum wage guy sitting in the booth (if no store attached) or the cashier at the store. There are still people who pay cash around here.

In NJ they have attendants at all gas stations who you have to wait for to pump your gas. Just about every other state in the country has self=serve, much better and quicker,

Just filled up my car this morning. The person pumping the gas spilled gas on the side of my car, forgot to replace the cap, did not wash my windshield and did not give me a receipt.

Problem is, it is a self service station....

I ended up getting through my private checkride and then some before I realized I didn't sign my medical....
I think it the same as signing the medical. You are basically verifying that all information is correct and not fraudulent by signing?
i could be totally off...

I do know that the FSDO at my old homebase in RENO also looked at if the signature was there during ramp check because it was an easy violation.

Back