Do you plan on flying (or traveling in general) to see the eclipse on April 8th?

Will you be traveling to see the eclipse?

• Total voters
Meh....I've seen them before. No biggie. I'm not doing anything for this one. We had one over DC a few years ago. Everyone ran out to see it....then back into the office for work. ;)

Alas, my plan to fly the 182 to Arkansas to see my brothers and the eclipse is blocked by the clouds. It would have been 10 hours and two fuel stops, but I was really looking forward to the flight. We were also going to fly from his town to an airport in the totality zone on the day of the eclipse.

United is flying me to KXNA instead.

Anybody been airborne during an eclipse? Wondering if it's worth it to go flying Monday afternoon. We're not in the path of totality, but it'll be something like 90%. I've heard that watching the terminator line racing across the ground is quite spectacular, but I don't know what it would like like outside the totality.

Anybody been airborne during an eclipse? Wondering if it's worth it to go flying Monday afternoon. We're not in the path of totality, but it'll be something like 90%. I've heard that watching the terminator line racing across the ground is quite spectacular, but I don't know what it would like like outside the totality.
Didn't fly in it but was on a hill in St. Genevieve MO for the last one and watched the shadow tear off as it departed. That was pretty cool. 90% will be unspectacular.

Meh....I've seen them before. No biggie. I'm not doing anything for this one. We had one over DC a few years ago. Everyone ran out to see it....then back into the office for work. ;)
I think that might be a different eclipse, either a lunar eclipse or a partial solar eclipse. But this upcoming total solar eclipse is a rarity- and a biggie.

The last total solar eclipse in DC was in 1970, and there hasn't been a recent one in Maryland. But stick around, there's one in Virginia in 2078 that might include DC. (Chart.)

Also, from this NASA site:

In August 2017, an eclipse crossed the United States, from Oregon to South Carolina. The path of totality crossed 14 states. This was the first total solar eclipse visible in the contiguous U.S. in 38 years and approximately two-thirds of the U.S. population lived within a day's drive of totality.

I wondered what the big deal was with this one, but now I see why it is. We just happen to be in the path of totality and as it looks right now may have good weather for the event . . .

I think that might be a different eclipse, either a lunar eclipse or a partial solar eclipse. But this upcoming total solar eclipse is a rarity- and a biggie.

The last total solar eclipse in DC was in 1970, and there hasn't been a recent one in Maryland. But stick around, there's one in Virginia in 2078 that might include DC. (Chart.)
It was some kind of an eclipse on August 21, 2017....they handed out glasses. It was under rated. All y'all have fun. Now if this is the rapture....I wouldn't miss that for anything.
;)

Attachments

• IMG_2134.JPG
    IMG_2134.JPG
    750.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2135.JPG
    IMG_2135.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2133.JPG
    IMG_2133.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2132.JPG
    IMG_2132.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 4
It was some kind of an eclipse on August 21, 2017....they handed out glasses. It was under rated. All y'all have fun. Now if this is the rapture....I wouldn't miss that for anything.
;)
That's a partial eclipse, which is also happening over a large area with this one, but only in the more narrow zone of totality is it a total eclipse. This one requires a rare combination of orbits plus the right distance of the moon from earth as it passes.

That's a partial eclipse, which is also happening over a large area with this one, but only in the more narrow zone of totality is it a total eclipse. This one requires a rare combination of orbits plus the right distance of the moon from earth as it passes.
Yup....I didn't travel for that one either. It was a total south of here....in South Carolina.

1712337422658.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I recall the partial eclipse in 2017. A total eclipse is a very different experience, or so I'm told. Accordingly, I'll be heading somewhere northish in the path of totality.

I always thought I saw a total eclipse in Hawaii in 1991 while I was stationed there. However I just researched the event and discovered it was only partial. I was on Oahu and the zone of totality passed over the big Island of Hawaii. That must be why I don't remember it being all that spectacular.
That raises the stakes for seeing this one. I'm 60 now, so doubtful I'll be as game to travel 20 years from now.
Unfortunately the weather is looking dicey. There's a possibility a cold front will push through the central US before the event, clearing the skies over TX and Arkansas. However, I would have to penetrate the front VFR to get there from Florida.
Probably a game day decision. Here's the forecast for Saturday night.
Screenshot_20240405-142943.png

Last edited:
Partial vs total

Being told about a (insert sexual act here) vs getting a (insert sexual act here).

No wonder you thought it was no biggie.

We are taking the youngest out of class, the oldest is skipping his last class of the day in college, we are both ditching work and flying south to witness totality.

Back